How cluttered is your cube ?

outofloop

Feb 19, 2008

CNN has this article up in which its suggested that if your cube is cluttered with personal stuff like photos, non work related stickers. posters etc then it might make you look unprofessional to high management.

whats your take on this? Do you think it matters?
How cluttered is your cube in general?

Link to CNN Article

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i have just a few things in my cube, 95% of my work is on computer, so i don't really need anything but a computer
i have a couple awards, a couple of things from my kids and the office stuff, stapler, pens, telephone and a few books

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
An interesting spin, but I can see it... If you appear to focus a lot on your home life, the boss may worry that you aren't focused enough on your work. If you make work too comfortable, you don't seem serious.

Jack Ryan

Golden Member
Jun 11, 2004
"Management" gets paid lots of money to manage people. If they base things on cube nonsense then they shouldn't have that position.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
I have lots of vacuum tubes on my desk as well as about 10 music posters covering the walls of my cube.

I couldn't give a shit what that means to management.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Personal shit around your cubicle makes it look like you're content with where you're at. Leave nothing.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
I have my New Orleans saint coffee mug and UL ragin cajuns Koozie. Thats it

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
I work at a call center where we share our computers with the other shifts.

result? clutter free desk but the bad thing is I need to bring in wetwipes because my keyboard is all sticky and dirty from the other peeps using the computer.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Sounds about right. Having personal stuff does look unprofessional. This is a place of business, not someplace to show off your knickknacks. Work your way around the management chain and you won't see much personal stuff the higher you go. A picture of the wife/kids is about all that should be there.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
I occasionally visit some of the agencies that my company prints things for, and the people with more "Flare" at their cube (or workstation, since most of them don't really have cubes) tend to be the most friendly and leave the best impression of the company. Partially because it's nice to go to a design company and see more than boring walls and computers, really.

I guess it's different in the design world than in the world of "bean counters, button pushers, and pretty numbers".

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I prefer no personal items at all, unless you count my Logitech G15 + G5 that I brought in because I was so sick of the crap keyboard and mouse that was provided.

Everybody always comments on my barren cube but I'd rather it be that than the jungle that some of my coworkers have.

Viper GTS

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
i have a little Gretzky pic and 2 small golf pics.

i actually hope it looks unprofessional. screw this hole.

CNN is not the boss of me!1!1!11

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Man my office is strung out with papers, books, and research documents.

This is IT, not Martha's House.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: outofloop

CNN has this article up in which its suggested that if your cube is cluttered with personal stuff like photos, non work related stickers. posters etc then it might make you look unprofessional to high management.

whats your take on this? Do you think it matters?
How cluttered is your cube in general?

Link to CNN Article

sports illustrated swimsuit issue

yeah, come on, would love someone in the office to make an issue of this, PLEASE!

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: torpid
As if high management ever walks through the cube farm here.
lol exactly... i'm sure they would think of it like humans walking amongst the apes. well, here anyway..

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I've got a picture of my wife and I, and one of the new baby. That's it. And that's more to keep my wife happy than me. Last couple places I worked at we moved offices/cubes 3-4 times a year and the less stuff you had to move, the more convenient it was.

Work related stuff...now that's a different story. Test scripts, interface maps, waveform sheets, issues logs....my desk is covered.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
i dont have anything in my office...if i ever quit get laid off or fired i just pick up my lunch bag and head out...

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
The only thing I've got in my cube is twelve of those rubber dongs with the suction cup bases. I like the way they sway in the breeze; it's soothing.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Ns1
Personal shit around your cubicle makes it look like you're contempt with where you're at. Leave nothing.

For all intensive porpoises you just made baby Jesus strangle a bunny :frown:

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
i dont have anything in my office...if i ever quit get laid off or fired i just pick up my lunch bag and head out...

Same here. All I have to do is drop my keys on the desk and leave.

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
Originally posted by: JEDI
sports illustrated swimsuit issue

yeah, come on, would love someone in the office to make an issue of this, PLEASE!

We compromised with our boss that girly pictures simply face away from doors/windows/visitors.

Beyond that, most of us don't *want* personal items in this dump. Especially with all of our jokes about wishing it would burn down... :p