How can you tell if someone submitted payment with a credit card through PayPal?

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
Just curious. I've never seen any indication of what type of payment someone used to purchase something. Is there a way you can tell if someone used a credit card to make a payment?

Sal

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
If you have a personal account, I believe you cannot accept credit card payments. If you have a preferred account, I'm not too sure. But if you do have a preferred account it wouldn't matter because you get hit with the fee on any type of payment be it a credit card or Paypal funds transfer.

It would tell you that they used a verified source though.

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
The person is verified, but doesn't have a confirmed address. I think this means that they have a bank account linked, but not a credit card to verify the address. If this is the case, I don't have a problem accepting payment (I have it set to ask me if I want to accept payment if they have an unconfirmed address). I'm just trying to follow PayPal's BS rules, so I don't get stung. It's a $300+ item that I'm selling and I want to be sure.

BTW.. I have a Premier business account and the fee is the least of my worries. I just don't want to get stung on the payment. I never do know if they use a credit card or not. I used to think that when the payment said instant, that they were NOT paying by credit card, but I had someone purchase something recently with a credit card through PayPal (not an expensive item) and even though they paid by credit card, it still said instant payment.

Don't you think if PayPal was going to be such a stickler about not covering you in case of a stolen credit card, don't you think that they'd at least make it clear about what kind of payment was made?

PayPal=Suck!!!! The only reason why I use it is because all of the other morons on Ebay use it and if you want to sell on Ebay, you almost have to take PayPal.

Sal

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Why does it matter if they use a credit card or not? If its stolen that's not your problem.

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
Why does it matter if they use a credit card or not? If its stolen that's not your problem.
Yes it is. If it's a stolen credit card, PayPal will do a chargeback to my account and I'd be out the money.

I just called PayPal and there is no way to tell if someone made a payment with a credit card or not. I also found out that PayPal will not protect the buyer unless I ship to a confirmed address no matter how the payment is made. The CSR said that the bank account could be stolen as well. I find that a little bit more unlikely than a stolen credit card.

Why does this have to happen with an expensive item. I get payments from people with confirmed addresses all the time and now when I sell something expensive.. Go figure. I guess I have to make a judgement call. I'll just accept payment, ship the item and then pull all the funds out of PayPal. If PayPal wants to come after me for the money, let them. I'll just cancel all my accounts and NEVER use PayPal again if this happens.

Sal

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Salvador
Yes it is. If it's a stolen credit card, PayPal will do a chargeback to my account and I'd be out the money.

I just called PayPal and there is no way to tell if someone made a payment with a credit card or not. I also found out that PayPal will not protect the buyer unless I ship to a confirmed address no matter how the payment is made. The CSR said that the bank account could be stolen as well. I find that a little bit more unlikely than a stolen credit card.

Why does this have to happen with an expensive item. I get payments from people with confirmed addresses all the time and now when I sell something expensive.. Go figure. I guess I have to make a judgement call. I'll just accept payment, ship the item and then pull all the funds out of PayPal. If PayPal wants to come after me for the money, let them. I'll just cancel all my accounts and NEVER use PayPal again if this happens.

Sal

They would really pull the funds out of your account if it was stolen? Wouldn't that basically be stealing from YOU then since you sent the item and got nothing? If that's the case then that really sucks. I paid for a $1,100 item on eBay a couple years ago with a credit card, the seller didn't mention anything of it.

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
They would really pull the funds out of your account if it was stolen? Wouldn't that basically be stealing from YOU then since you sent the item and got nothing? If that's the case then that really sucks. I paid for a $1,100 item on eBay a couple years ago with a credit card, the seller didn't mention anything of it.
Yes. If someone buys something from you with a stolen credit card through PayPal and then PayPal finds out that the credit card is stolen, they will pull the money out of the sellers account. Unlike a credit card, where the cc company absorbs the fee and ultimately, the taxpayers, PayPal takes the money right out of the sellers account with what's called a chargeback. I know some people that this has happened to.

When you bought a laptop, did you have a confirmed address? PayPal will only protect you in case of a chargeback if you ship to a confirmed address. That's the only protection that they will give you.

Sal

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Salvador
Yes. If someone buys something from you with a stolen credit card through PayPal and then PayPal finds out that the credit card is stolen, they will pull the money out of the sellers account. Unlike a credit card, where the cc company absorbs the fee and ultimately, the taxpayers, PayPal takes the money right out of the sellers account with what's called a chargeback. I know some people that this has happened to.

When you bought a laptop, did you have a confirmed address? PayPal will only protect you in case of a chargeback if you ship to a confirmed address. That's the only protection that they will give you.

Sal

It wasn't a laptop, it was a collectible item. I don't know if I had a confirmed address, I know at the time I was unverified though. How do I check to see if my address is confirmed? The address for the CC I used matched the shipping address if that's what you mean.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
If you use the US Mail to ship your item, you are also covered by US Postal Anti Fraud statutes. Those can be very severe and the US Postal Inspectors LOVE to bust people using stolen credit cards as they usually have commited other crimes via US Mail as well.
Also, set up another Bank Account for PayPal, don't carry a balance in it (transfer all cash out ASAP) and do not use your main account for PayPal.

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
It wasn't a laptop, it was a collectible item. I don't know if I had a confirmed address, I know at the time I was unverified though. How do I check to see if my address is confirmed? The address for the CC I used matched the shipping address if that's what you mean.
Sorry. I don't know where I got laptop from.

Yes. You confirm your address with your credit card and where you receive your bank statements. Verified basically means nothing as far as protection through PayPal is concerned. The seller probably didn't give you a hard time because you did have a confirmed address.

Also, set up another Bank Account for PayPal, don't carry a balance in it (transfer all cash out ASAP) and do not use your main account for PayPal.
I don't, for that reason. If someone were to break into my PayPal account, they could only take the money that I have in the account, which usually isn't that much. As soon as I pull the money out of the PayPal account into a separate checking account, I transfer it to my regular account. PayPal would have to take it up with my bank if there was a chargeback.

Sal