How can you find out why some email gets flagged as SPAM?

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I'm sending email from my domain to a few people (like my g/f), and it gets flagged as being spam (sent to the spambox). My IP address isn't in spews, or anything like that -- any ideas why this would happen? I used subject line: PDF of prices... with a PDF attachment in one case, and it got flagged. Could it have something to do with my sendmail setup?

Rob

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
my company quarantines all emails with attachments...just to be safe. We scan the attachment and forwards on to users.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
This was email to an @aol.com address, as well as a @yahoo.com. Sent to @u.washington.edu doesn't get flagged as spam -- it shows the Spam likelihood as being 8%.

Rob

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: FreshPrince
my company quarantines all emails with attachments...just to be safe. We scan the attachment and forwards on to users.

ours is a combo of that and a points system.. Like having prices in the subject might be 3 points, and have 4 fwd's is 2 points, etc. etc. if you have 8 or more points it's considered spam

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Maybe it's the lack of reverse DNS on the IP address...just got this back from DNStools:

<IP address> has no reverse DNS entry; some mail servers may not accept your mail.

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Entity
Maybe it's the lack of reverse DNS on the IP address...just got this back from DNStools:

<IP address> has no reverse DNS entry; some mail servers may not accept your mail.

that is likely as well! forgot about reverse dns, try to talk with your isp.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: FreshPrince
Originally posted by: Entity

that is likely as well! forgot about reverse dns, try to talk with your isp.

Did that, now I'm waiting for it to propagate on their second nameserver. :D

Thanks.

Rob

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Reverse MX/PTR records are setup, but it's still getting flagged. Argh. :|

Anyone with spam protection willing to receive an email to me to see if they have the same problem?

Rob

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
This is why I hate Spam filtering on servers. If an e-mail is sent to my I address I want to be the one to decide if it's spam or not (I use a filter of my own that gets 95% of my spam and never filters legitimate e-mails)

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Funny, it seems they're blocking my SMTP address (on a legitimate server), but they don't block Comcast, which is one of the single-biggest SPEWS-listed spam addresses out there. :p

Rob

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Viewing the headers for both of them, the only difference I see is an addendum on the one from my domain that says "authenticated bits=0." Anyone know what that means/how to change it?

Rob

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
happens to my hotmail address... think it's because they spoofed my address at one point and sent out mass mail... and I get rewarded so nicely for it.

Spam servers aren't foolproof...

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Well, I emailed postmaster@aol & postmaster@yahoo, not that I'm expecting much out of that though. :p