How can ya store dry ice??

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
I just got my delivery of 6 Omaha steaks, 12 burgers, cheesecake $14.85 shipped (thank you hot deals forum!!) and it came with a nice semi-sealed bag of dry ice.... i wanna save it :(

i know ya cant store it in your freezer because your freezer's thermostat will shut off the freezer due to the extreme cold of the Dry Ice...

anyone have any ideas???

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
You can't store it very long, so you might as well use it now. If there's a large water source near you, a chunk of dry ice in water makes a whole lot of "smoke". Add some dishwashing liquid and you've got yourself a huge foaming monstrosity :D. It's equally cool in a 5 gallon bucket of water or in your friends toilet (nothing makes you stop and scratch your head like a smoking toilet).

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Originally posted by: MrBond
(nothing makes you stop and scratch your head like a smoking toilet)

lol... "Damnit man "light a match" is just a figure of speech!"
;)

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
The only way to store it for any lenght of time is to insulate it as much as possible. A small, thick-walled styrofoam cooler will do the trick.

Other good tricks with dry ice:

It will "float" on some smooth surfaces (think air hockey) as the heat from the surface causes CO2 to boil off on the underside of the ice, creating a small cushion.

If you have a balloon handy, you can stick a chunk of the ice in it, tie it shut and toss it somewhere inconspicuous. As the ice reverts to a gas, it will inflate and eventually explode the balloon.....hopefully scaring the crap out of the nearest person.:D

Jan 9, 2002
My favorite is similar to the balloon trick- stick a chunk in a 20 oz. soda bottle, screw the lid on, and CHUCK IT!!! It's a homemade grenade and will explode within seconds. Very loud. We made several of these in my high school physics class, and the teacher and class wandered around the school courtyard randomly chucking them into garbage cans and bushes blowing stuff up (this was before Columbine and everyone thought it was fun). Too cool. :D

Dangit, I want to go buy some now.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
make sure you wear a pair of gloves! We don't need to see a "Got frostbite from playing with dry ice" post on here. ;)

rich

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: FoBoT
a dark cold vacuum

A thermos would probably work pretty well too if you don't happen to have an alternate dimension comprised mostly of an airless, near absolute zero void handy. ;)

xirtam

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2001
Near absolute zero? Not hardly.

"Close your eyes, and hold out your hands... I have a little surprise for you."

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: xirtam
Near absolute zero? Not hardly.

"Close your eyes, and hold out your hands... I have a little surprise for you."

Not the dry ice (-109.3F btw)....the airless void storage area FoBoT mentioned for storage.

xirtam

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2001
Not the dry ice (-109.3F btw)....the airless void storage area FoBoT mentioned for storage.

Yes, I was mentioning another storage area. But it would probably prove to be more temporary... sorta.