Question How can I split a PCIe slot?

RCX26

May 10, 2021
I have a Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard and it only has one slot for a gpu or PCIe slot. I am trying to figure out a way on how to run a firewire adapter card in tandem with my gt 710. Is it possible to do this? My board should support bifurcation.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Use a usb c to firewire adapter

Seems like the requires a thunderbolt USB-C port, not sure his motherboard has that.

You could convert an m.2 slot to a pcie slot or use a pcie splitter (commonly used with mining rigs) to get multiple ports.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Seems like the requires a thunderbolt USB-C port, not sure his motherboard has that.

You could convert an m.2 slot to a pcie slot or use a pcie splitter (commonly used with mining rigs) to get multiple ports.
Doh! Back to the drawing board.

But if he is on mini itx, chances are there is no room in the case.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Doh! Back to the drawing board.

But if he is on mini itx, chances are there is no room in the case.

Most likely not, although I guess it may be possible to mount the m.2 adapter and card in a trashy manner depending upon the case.

I've seen a lot of people ask how to install extra cards and hardware in ITX builds which always left me scratching my head. Not being able to do that is one of the main downsides of ITX. But I'm not really an ITX guy myself.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Most likely not, although I guess it may be possible to mount the m.2 adapter and card in a trashy manner depending upon the case.

I've seen a lot of people ask how to install extra cards and hardware in ITX builds which always left me scratching my head. Not being able to do that is one of the main downsides of ITX. But I'm not really an ITX guy myself.
IMG_20191222_181855.jpg

That is as small a case as I am willing to go

Reactions: ElFenix

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
So far, for me, the PCIE bifurcation issue only arose with the prospect of using a double or quadruple M.2-NVME to PCIE adapter with two or more M.2 NVME's. For my generation of chipset and mobo, only a couple boards feature bifurcation, and mine didn't.

If it were a matter of resolving this "Two-M.2/NVME drives in one PCIE slot", there are plenty of adapter cards available which resolve the bifurcation issue with an ASM2824 switch-chip.

But if it's a matter of sharing a PCIE slot between a dGPU and another type of adapter, it doesn't seem physically or practically possible.

I'd go with the other recommendations here, posted by other members.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
So far, for me, the PCIE bifurcation issue only arose with the prospect of using a double or quadruple M.2-NVME to PCIE adapter with two or more M.2 NVME's. For my generation of chipset and mobo, only a couple boards feature bifurcation, and mine didn't.

If it were a matter of resolving this "Two-M.2/NVME drives in one PCIE slot", there are plenty of adapter cards available which resolve the bifurcation issue with an ASM2824 switch-chip.

But if it's a matter of sharing a PCIE slot between a dGPU and another type of adapter, it doesn't seem physically or practically possible.

I'd go with the other recommendations here, posted by other members.

Did you ever try a ASM2824 with an m.2 to pcie convert for a graphics card? I can't really think of a reason it wouldn't work, aside from being a mounting mess.

Its quite hard to find pcie splitters besides the cheap mining ones thas use asmedia 1184e or maybe a pericom chipset and they're all 1x splitters.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Did you ever try a ASM2824 with an m.2 to pcie convert for a graphics card? I can't really think of a reason it wouldn't work, aside from being a mounting mess.

Its quite hard to find pcie splitters besides the cheap mining ones thas use asmedia 1184e or maybe a pericom chipset and they're all 1x splitters.
At the moment, I think it's beyond my pay-grade. I never delved into bifurcation until I started looking for dual-M.2 cards. That's all I know about.

At 3PM today, I'm so freakin' exhausted I don't think I know anything other than that I'm exhausted.

Khiueware

May 26, 2021
So, I happen to be in the unfortunate situation where I have to find a way to get another PCIe x8 slot, I'm one shy atm. Currently I have:
  • 1 - x16 @ x16
  • 1 - x16 @ x4
  • 2 - x1
  • Plus 3 PCI slots
I have one x4 slot device and two x8 devices that I need to connect to this motherboard. Speed is very important to each of these devices: 10Gbe NIC & 2 LSI Sata HBAs. I figured it would be possible to find an adapter to split the first x16 lane into two separate x8's, like this device. However, I keep running into the term bifurcation, but I can't find any useful info on how to figure out what supports it. Any ideas on that? Or any other sort of way I can possibly get another PCIe slot? One of my HBAs is dedicated to a HDD RAID config which is a backup to the other HBA that has a RAID config of SSDs, so I'm not really concerned at all about the speed on the HDD array. So if some sort of PCI to PCIe x16 slot adapter exists, then I'm game.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
There is such a thing as pcie x16 to pci and back adapters, but it will be extremely bandwidth starved since in the end it runs over the PCI bus. Not generally a good choice for a HBA.