How can I get RAID 0/1 to work?

patrick24601

Feb 14, 2005
Got a new custom built machine today that I am going to be using as server. Can't remember the brand of motherboard (it is at work). It has Raid 0/1 on the motherboard, and 4 SATA connectors. I had one 250G installed, and I went and bought two more 500G drives in the hopes of creating a RAID1 array (500G mirrored). Ideally I'd like to use the 250G for OS and basic applications. I'll then be installing VMware and putting all of the virtual machines on the 500G. The MB did come with a driver CD and I think there are RAID drivers on it. I have not installed the other two HDs yet until I get this figured out.

Here is how my install went:

Went into the BIOS and told it I wanted to use SATA in RAID mode (There was not a way to tell it to used one SATA port as regular and the others as RAID). During bootup I then went into the RAID BIOS and tried to configure the single 250G as its own array. I thought I'd then be able to configure the other two HDs as their own array later. When I attempted to install Windows 2003 it said I had no hard drives at all.

The only way I could get it to work was to tell the BIOS to treat the SATA controller like IDE (default setting). Windows 2003 then installed fine. But when I install the other two drives this weekend they won't be RAIDed.

How can I do this so the 250G sits by itself for the OS and I get a RAID1 setup from the other two drives?

Thanks so much for any advice. All I have installed is the OS, Service packs and VMware. No virtual machines as of yet. I'd like to get this solved before I start creating VMs.

Jun 9, 2008
Hey Patrick, I'm a bit confused by your question, but one thing is crystal clear to me : windows 2003 server does not have raid drivers for your motherboard! To be able to install windows on raid partition you have to press F6 right on begging of installation and provide a FLOPPY !!!! drive (USB will do) with Raid drivers for your mobo. Also depend on your mobo you might not be able to create more than 1 array

patrick24601

Feb 14, 2005
Thanks. I am going to in to work on this again today.

If I get that issue resolved - Can I turn on RAID and make the OS drive an 'array' by itself (I only have one) and have the other two 500G drives be their own array? In the RAID BIOS I can see that I can set up multiple arrays.