how big a problem is adware/spyware to you?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Never had a spyware problem through the years that I used IE. After switching to Opera, I suppose the threat/risk is even less that it was before.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
well , i do fear the whole india thing. we already have people in ireland and japan who do the same sort of work i do, since its not on the clients machine. but japan and ireland arent super low wage like india.

india on the other hand is scary.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Using Opera + spybot + kerio, i haven't been hit w/ a piece of adware in about 6 months

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
Not a problem here, definately a problem for the students here in the dorms though. "I dunno, I just think I clicked it and things just installed all by themselves." I personally have worked on 200+ student computers this semester alone with spyware issues along with viruses and wireless issues in the school's only wireless dorm. Wireless + cement block walls = job security for me

Bigblades

Mar 17, 2004
I don't have a problem with it at home, but at work on the lan center computers.. gah.

Some people just suck at the internet. I have to clean up their mess.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
I've never had much of a problem. I just use IE, and Spyware every once in a blue moon. And Symantech AntiVirus, if that does anything. EDIT: That's supposed to be "Spybot," not "Spyware" :p

Dec 4, 2002
Not a problem for me personally. At work we have a contest going to see if we can get a customer with the most spyware(winner via an adaware scan). I almost beat the top guy, 1990, with 1844 the other day.