How bad is it? voltage outside range

Mormegil

Mar 31, 2016
Hello folks

I've been experiencing blue screens of death and sudden shutdowns since last weekend. Tride many diagnoses and notinhg seemed to explain it. Until I got Everest and Speedfan to see how my psu voltage is. It's really random shutdowns but sometimes I can use the pc for hours without a shut down. Sometimes only takes 5 minutes to happen.

Readings are almost the same in both programs. This is the big problem....

Vcore1 1,02
Vcore2 1,14
+3.3v 1,60
+5v 5,05
+12v 4,74
-12v -4,13
-5v -0,78
+5v 5,54
Vbat 3,39
GPU Vddc 0,95

As far as I know, 4,74 in the 12v wouldn't be possible.

As I am realy a newbie to psu problems, I would like you to tell me how screwed I am. Because I can't afford to change psu this month and I really need my pc in my work.

Thank you for your attention

Last edited:

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You need to isolate the cause of the low voltage. There are two possiblities:

1. You may have partial short on your motherboard, RAM or a peripheral (vid card, etc.).

Unplug and reseat all connectors from the PSU to your motherboard, video card, and any other plug-in peripheral, and unplug all but one stick of RAM (and reseat that one). If the problem persists, try another stick of RAM. If the problem continues with each single stick of RAM, try another video card.

2. Your PSU is faulty. You didn't say that anyhing was smoking while you were testing your system so you can safely try another PSU.

If you have another machine, or you can borrow one from a friend, you don't even have to dismount your current supply to test it. Just bring the other supply (even in another case) close enough to your machine that you connect the cables from the test supply to your machine, and see if it works when you power it up. If it does, your PSU is bad.

Hope that helps. Good luck. :)

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Hello folks

I've been experiencing blue screens of death and sudden shutdowns since last weekend. Tride many diagnoses and notinhg seemed to explain it. Until I got Everest and Speedfan to see how my psu voltage is. It's really random shutdowns but sometimes I can use the pc for hours without a shut down. Sometimes only takes 5 minutes to happen.

Readings are almost the same in both programs. This is the big problem....

Vcore1 1,02
Vcore2 1,14
+3.3v 1,60
+5v 5,05
+12v 4,74
-12v -4,13
-5v -0,78
+5v 5,54
Vbat 3,39
GPU Vddc 0,95

As far as I know, 4,74 in the 12v wouldn't be possible.

As I am realy a newbie to psu problems, I would like you to tell me how screwed I am. Because I can't afford to change psu this month and I really need my pc in my work.

Thank you for your attention

Those readings are just incorrect. You'll actually need a multimeter to check, but if you really had 5V on the 12V rails and 1.6V on the 3,3V rail, you wouldn't even be booting into Windows. Do you have anything you can measure voltage with?

john3850

Golden Member
Oct 19, 2002
I would also say it is a incorrect 12 volt reading.
At 4.74 volts the ps would reset or shut off and a few 12 volt wires would be melted.