How attached are you to the place you live?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
If work asked you to up and move across the country, would you do it? Would you miss the town you live in now? Would you want to deal with the hot/cold weather? Would being close to/far away from your family bother you?

I'm just wondering how much other people get attached to the places they live. I personally can't see myself living outside of California, it's my home, I grew up here, my family and friends live here, and I'm familiar with it. People could pay me all the money in the world but I still wouldn't want to move to Minnesota or Georgia or anywhere. However, it seems like a lot of people don't have a problem getting up and moving 1000 miles just for a job or something. I'd like to hear your opinions on this.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I need to be near a beach. I would consider moving anywhere within 2 hours' drive of a coast, but I am very close to my family, so it would have to be a VERY lucrative offer to relocate inland or outside NJ, SE PA, or DE.

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
I go to school in Chicago, but I'm from Maryland. I went to school here to escape Maryland, but as the time passed I felt myself missing it more and more. I'm going back there after I finish.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Lived in Illionis 18 years. In Iowa for 8. Now moving to AZ at the age of 26 for an indefinite amount of time.
My wife lived in South Dakota for 18 years, Iowa for 5, and will be moving down to AZ with me.

Sometimes it's healthy to get out and see something different and meet different people. We're looking at it as a positive thing.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
I have no attachment here. I'd leave in a heartbeat if we could both secure jobs.

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I've lived in Philadelphia all my life. I've been to california and florida and i love the warm weather. If I was asked to relocate and the money was right I would go in a heartbeat. However, it has to be a place that I would see myself
in. I can't force myself to go to some obscure place such as Montana or Idaho.

I would miss my family, but growing up, many people told me if I wanted to move out of philly, i better start young before i have a family and settle down. I would miss my parents and brother, but there's so much to experience out there and living in philly for 24 years seems like I'm stuck inside a bubble. I've seen everything I want to see and there's nothing left to experience. I guess that's why we take vacations.

The one place I would love to be is NYC. I love the city from what I've seen in movies and books. However, cost of living sucks.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I can get up and move to almost anywhere. Being from a military family I've moved around a bit. I suppose I'll want to settle down when I'm a little older, but for now I'm anxious to move around and see/experience more of the world.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
With the exception of having my own appartment for 14 months, I've lived in the same house for 22 years. Uprooting and moving across the country would be like me trying to cut my own leg off :(

BigPoppa

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've lived in Montana for since I was born (19 years). I'm at school in Atlanta, GA and i'm homesick as all hell. Very attached to home. Transfering to UofMt for fall semester.

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
That depends on where they asked me to go. If they wanted me to move to Topika Kansas, I would decline. But there are a lot of places I would consider moving to.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
we stay in the area(nyc/tri-state) because our family is here and we'd like the girl to grow up with her grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins.

otherwise, we'd be ok with moving. we even considered moving to london.

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
The only thing keeping me here is my daughter. I would miss my family but I wouldn't let that stand in the way of moving somewhere else if given the opportunity. As much as I'd like to move out of this area, I can't do to my daughter what my dad did to me. I don't despise him for it but my childhood would have been a lot better if he had been here more than every other weekend.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I am very much a homebody, but with my impending retirement in 6 years I've resigned myself to having to pick up and move somewhere else that is warm.

Haven't figured out where yet. I thought I'd do a thread on here just to get some input soon.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
I've seen alot of the country. Grew up in PA, went to school in SW Va, lived in Los Angeles a few years, now in Colorado. I've seen alot of places I'd like to live ... about the only conditions:

1. Not in big cities. I might tolerate Denver.
2. No places insanely, intolerably hot for good parts of the year (Phoenix, Los Vegas, most of Florida etc.). Leave em to the damn lizards.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty limited by may career (Aerospace engineer) ... enclaves here and there, but limited. Unless I became an academic (not likely) ... college towns are cool places to live even if you aren't a student.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
I ac tually sent a resume for a position in Taiwan once ... not aerospace stuff, Linux cluster & bioinformatics. Would have been interesting!

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I grew up in Minnesota, been in Arizona for 3 years. I could leave tomorrow and not have a single concern about leaving here (if i had a job where i moved to). In fact, I actually DO want to move.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I grew up in New York and I'm living in the finest city in the US right now. San Diego, CA. I moved away from my family and didn't know anyone when I moved here (except my boss). That was 14 years ago. Now I have a house of my own, a wife and child and many good friends.

I'm very attached to the place I live. :D

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
I've lived my entire life in Colorado. There are people that would give anything to live here, but I am ready to leave. It's not the beautiful scenery thats doing this- its the drought. There has been such a change in the climate here the last five years, that when it rains- it's really an event.

My girlfriend wants to move to Michigan, where she grew up, but I don't think I could handle the winters. My choice would be Washington or Oregon.