How are you voting for state and local offices?

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I take voting seriously. I do my research for every vote I cast. For local and state offices there are many resources, where media or other groups have sent a list of questions to all candidates then publish their responses. This was especially true for city council, county commissioners, judges, and others. All but city council are partisan. I have voted for republicans in many races because I agreed with their views and record. Basically I vote for the person, not their party affiliation.

Well trump has changed that, and for all partisan races, I'm voting democratic, unless there are some really big red flags, and I haven't found any on this years ballot. So my deep dive into what they say has been limited to the local city council and a few other races. This is my response to the power grab by the knuckle dragging draconian republicans.

If Trump wins, (or retains power) and does not have state, local, and national opposition, it would not surprise me to see things like the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th amendment attacked by the administration, if not the entire BOR and Constitution. If you do not understand that Trump does not believe that the average deserves protection under the Bill of Rights (first 10 amendments) and other protections like Posse Comitatus then you need to start fucking paying attention.

So, how has Trump changed your views/voting for local and state offices, and their importance?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Positions like judges are can be interesting to research. Depending if you are party oriented and you jive with you local party, their local websites can be useful. I don't need to research my Gov. as he making responsible public announcements regularly due to the pandemic and has shown himself to be up to the task unlike our federal administration.

Reactions: MtnMan

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
For partisan offices, I usually have to grimace as I vote for the (D) candidate, but i almost 50 years, I've NEVER voted for the (R) candidate. I have voted 3rd party a couple of times when I disliked both candidates...but I know it's just "throwing my vote away."

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Trying to keep the first post of reasonable length, I didn't go into too much explanation.

When I voted (early voting) during the primaries earlier this year, it must have been a slow day. I parked, and of course people were there supporting their candidate outside the solicitation area trying to get you to vote for their candidate.

I blow them off, but as I was leaving, and there was no one else around I engaged one of them. I asked them if people really do decide who to vote for based on hawkers 50' from the polling place. He was a nice guy, and he said yes, that he often gets responses where people didn't know who to support, and would vote for whoever he was hawking for.

WTF, this is not a multiple choice test that you are totally unprepared for in middle school. But it also is why I fear that even though I am 70+ years old, I may witness the demise of this country.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Positions like judges are can be interesting to research. Depending if you are party oriented and you jive with you local party, their local websites can be useful. I don't need to research my Gov. as he making responsible public announcements regularly due to the pandemic and has shown himself to be up to the task unlike our federal administration.
I'm with you on the governor bit, although I don't know what state you are in, but I will be voting to re-elect our democratic governor. Even if I was on the fence, he has been attacked by Trump, by name, and that solidifies it for me. I suspect if you have a democratic governor, he/she has also been attacked, by name, by the orange shit stain.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I'm with you on the governor bit, although I don't know what state you are in, but I will be voting to re-elect our democratic governor. Even if I was on the fence, he has been attacked by Trump, by name, and that solidifies it for me. I suspect if you have a democratic governor, he/she has also been attacked, by name, by the orange shit stain.
Almost sounds like you are talking about my Governor "the snake" Inslee. Washington state.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Same, straight dem ticket unless my research shows red flags.

I was going to type longer post explaining why, but decided not to. It should be self evident why.

I'll be at my polling place on the first day of early voting right on the hour when they open. Because fuck this shit.

Reactions: Zorba and MtnMan

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I was going to vote straight Democrat, especially after the GOP's antics of late. However I did do some research for the local races, and I will be voting R for at least one county position. The R candidate is at least sane and presents himself reasonably and intelligently. The D candidate seems like a real loser.

Reactions: RamIt

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Almost sounds like you are talking about my Governor "the snake" Inslee. Washington state.
Governor Roy Cooper, NC

That evil democratic governor that wouldn't let him hold a full on packed house convention in Charlotte.

Also the state that Trump specifically told voters to vote twice, once by mail, and in person. Which by the way is a felony, and soliciting people to vote more than once is also a felony in this state.

Last edited:

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Back in the day, I always voted for opposing party Lt. Governors and Treasurers as a “check” on single party power. I even voted for “cancel all mask mandates” Dan Forest in 2016. But now I’m straight ticket all the way. The moderate conservative in me has all but disappeared since Trump.

RamIt

Nov 12, 2001
I was going to vote straight Democrat, especially after the GOP's antics of late. However I did do some research for the local races, and I will be voting R for at least one county position. The R candidate is at least sane and presents himself reasonably and intelligently. The D candidate seems like a real loser.
Agreed. Will be voting all demo except for one. The republican I will be voting for is what a democrat was 20 years ago.

Reactions: nOOky

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don't vote for judges or DAs at any level because I think that is gross negligence. The closest I will come to voting for something like is if there is a measure on state ballot to eliminate elections for such positions.

elected judges/DAs shouldn't exist at any level, anywhere in the country. ....probably the same for sheriff.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Back in the day, I always voted for opposing party Lt. Governors and Treasurers as a “check” on single party power. I even voted for “cancel all mask mandates” Dan Forest in 2016. But now I’m straight ticket all the way. The moderate conservative in me has all but disappeared since Trump.
I had made my choice for Lt. Gov, before he really showed his true hatred for people lives, as he did yesterday. It boils down to either he wants people to die, infect the kids, send them home to infect parents, and grandparents, etc. who will have 2% to 5% chance of dying. Or the orange kool-aid has completely rendered him too fucking stupid to hold any office. Which hopefully is where he will be after the election.
Lieutenant Governor Dan Forest is calling for North Carolina schools to reopen for in-person learning.

During a press conference on Wednesday in Raleigh, he said that there should be no requirement for students or teachers to wear masks.

He also said if he’s elected governor, he would lift the state’s mandate on wearing a mask.
It is likely I possibly voted for him in 16, to keep some balance also.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
If they are willing to be a Republican, they aren't sane.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I get to vote for Cory Booker for the Senate, plus my local Democratic congressperson. I have to research the lower level races as that's where I may vote third party for something, but I doubt anybody in the GOP. The whole party needs to be dismantled.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I was a non-voter for many years until Orangeholio took office. The republicans have proven they can't be trusted and aren't fit to lead in a 3rd world country.

From now one I will vote and vote a straight Dem ticket. The more liberal a candidate the better. It's my attempt at tipping the scales back to the people.

I usually wait until the last minute to research candidates and make a list to take with me. If anyone asks about the list I just tell them it's the one that Soros sent me with a check. If I'm unsure of who to vote for I call the democratic party in my state to get more info. They won't recommend judges though but they did help me with the names of those that leaned to the left.

Reactions: dank69

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001

I like to call him sleepy Jay. Then Biden got that name.

I thought Inslee did a pretty good job when covid hit. Now I have friends closing shop after 30 years. I mean my daughter can work in a daycare with 30 kids and 6 adults and its okay but a printer with 10 walk-ins a day cant be open? Why in the fuck can a daycare be opened but a school can't?

Then he totally dropped the ball with the chaz bullshit.

The new comprehensive sex ed for kindergarteners thing is also insane. WA state teachers are fucking pedos anyways and this is a good thing?

Defunding the police is crazy as fuck.

I always vote libertarian. This year I'm voting straight RED.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
If they are willing to be a Republican, they aren't sane.
I question the motives of anyone that gets into politics. Of late, those that claim to be republicans figure it is the only way to become a millionaire in as little as 4 - 5 years or sooner. It's a pretty good get rich scheme when all you have is low moral or ethical standards and little ability.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I'm PA. straight Dems. PA needs to go back to blue.

As far as local races same thing unless a Republican has spoken out against the Trump crazy then they have a a shot at consideration.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004

As far as local races same thing unless a Republican has spoken out against the Trump crazy then they have a a shot at consideration.
NC hasn't been blue since 2008, I'm ready to go back blue.
Courts did hand the republicans their ass when over ruling their gerrymandering, and this election I get to vote against Tom orange lips Tillis.

NC also took the straight party ticket choice off the ballot probably 10 - 12 years ago, which is a good thing.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006

I'm KY. The wife & me are mirroring your process.

Disappointing on the senate race here though. Dumb asses are still eating Mitch's shit sandwiches and asking for more. Christ...