How are you staying in touch with people online?

SHaines

Staff member
Apr 1, 2019
Hey there,

With so many of us around the world staying inside to slow the spread of coronavirus, what are you using to stay in touch online?

Some folks set aside time for gaming together, others use regular video chats or text chains, so what are you doing to keep in contact with folks?

Reactions: Captante

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Working from home via Slack (communication) Zoom (video and screen sharing) and Box (mirror of the company server for files)

Talk to people every day using discord (as just a chat app, nothing to do with gaming) Skype, WhatsApp and .... ? Oh yeah, good old fashioned texting.

I feel like I made a deal with the devil because my wife and my extended family got Facebook portals (a company I loathe) yet we ended up getting one ourselves at the end of last year. (The set top type) .

Yeah yeah... I felt dirty. But... now that we're all quarantined, it's actually a pretty good device to talk to family on, especially the grandparents and older folks who would never video chat any other way.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
WFH today... didn't want to, and it comes with some challanges, but it's easy enough; the company I work for is using AnyDesk and Teams for employees who can't be in their offices.

For personal stuff, Hangouts, Zoom or regular texting.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
WhatsApp for friends, phonecalls for elderly relatives.
My work cant be done from home and it cant be stopped (I'm a nurse) so I still get to get to have a fairly normal work life.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
^ I literally forgot about the phone. That too, though with all the other traffic, to take time for an actual phone call... I've only done so with my parents and some close family members.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I only use the phone for work, and with my mother sometimes. I took the day off today, and the boss called wanting me to help him setup a program in the datacollector. He's kinda tedious to teach. He doesn't know what he's doing, but still finds it necessary to think ahead and run his mouth instead of shutting up and listening :^D

Nov 20, 2009
Hmm, landline, cell phone, email, text, company's instant messenger, Webex, Skype, carrier pigeon and smoke signals. By the power of grayskull, go F yourself!

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Slack, work phone, email and zoom mainly. We have this crappy teleconference line that we use as well but the call quality is pretty bad. I was trying to get the fam to use zoom as well, but I found out facetime can do multiple people so that should work for our needs.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I get in my car and drive to anyplace I see human activity. Then, I creep up from behind on folks and pretend to sneeze on them. Then we both have a huge laugh . . . well, at least I do! :p :eek: :cool: