How are undercover cop cars legal?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek
Edit: Also they are not TECHNICALLY Crown Victorias. The standard police cruiser is the "Police Interceptor". It does have Crown Vic styling; however, they have various upgrades to bring it to a police package (Larger Water pump for instance)

The "Police Interceptor" is an option package for the Crown Victoria. It is not a separate model.

ZV

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: torpid
Finally-- with those points in mind, why in the world would it be illegal. So it gives police an "unfair" edge to do their job. If you don't like it- Don't break the law.

I think the gist of his post is that it's not always safe to pull over for an unmarked car that claims to be a police officer. Just about every city has the occasional rash of people pretending to be cops. Therefore, for the interest of public safety, real cops in unmarked cars shouldn't be allowed to pull people over, because that way people will never fall victim for the fraudulent people pretending to be cops.

In which case you go back to my previous point. If you don't feel comfortable then you slow down and maintain a slow speed until you get to a well lit area. When there you call 911 if you are still concerned and you also can request the officers credentials.

One time we drove to a baseball game in one of them and we were stuck in traffic with a black and white in the lane next to us so my buddy would turn on his siren really quickly then turn it off. We then watched the cops reaction. It was pretty funny to see him get confused, then go to look up the tags right as the light turned green and we turned left into the school we were playing.

First off that was illegal, second off someone really dropped the ball when they sold that car. When they sell it, they are allowed to leave the spot light on from my understanding because that is legal for a civilian to own. The lights AND siren; however, are illegal to own and use and therefore should be taken off.

-Kevin

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Second off-- It is absolutely illegal to have any lights other than standard headlight colors (And the ones with slight hues to them). Anything other than that is completely illegal while driving-- no matter what.

Not really true.

It is illegal to display blue light in any direction from a non-emergency vehicle and it is illegal to display red light from the front of a non-emergency vehicle. Other colors, such as green or yellow or orange are not regulated and are legal to display, though you may still get pulled over and hassled for using them.

ZV

It was my understanding that you were not allowed to display any other colored lights other than front facing lights while you were driving. When you are stopped and the car is not about to be in motion (ie: You would have to be parked, not at a stop light) you are then allowed to display the non regulated colors.

I could be wrong though..

As for the Interceptor-- yea that is a much better wording on your part than mine :). Definitely is a package for the Crown Victoria. (I don't know for sure, but I would think there are different options within that package as well depending on what type of terrain the Law Enforcement Personnel will be driving over and what not)

-Kevin

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
I honestly don't understand ATOT's hate for police officers. Just because you have a few threads stating misbehavior in here out of the entire WORLD (This website is world wide ;) ) doesn't mean that all police are bad (On the contrary, a very small portion are real jerks). What goes unsaid is when police are constantly doing their job right-- never once is there a thread about that-- that is the sad part about all of this.

We don't like them because we can't trust them. Not related to this topic, but a few weeks ago I had a seizure in my lab and 911 had to be called. Some paramedics picked me up and helped me into an ambulance, but then some asshole cop gets into the ambulance and yells at me while I'm shaking, telling me that he's going to charge me with public endangerment for running a meth lab (we make moisturizing cream, not meth). When the stepped out the back of the ambulance, the paramedic slammed and locked the door, and we drove off.

A lot of them are good people, but a lot of them are not. They've already shown me that I should never trust them with my life, so why should they be trusted with anything else?

BabaBooey

Lifer
Jan 21, 2001
Thats how I pickup chicks ...:thumbsup:

ex-cop car = $800

cheap lights on dash / grill = $100

Getting babes numbers all day for letting them go = priceless.

:p

tboo

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2000
First off-- they aren't, at least in Virginia, required to have even a special police license plate denoting a police officer. We have, in my home county a few Dodge Chargers that are completely unmarked.

Second off-- It is absolutely illegal to have any lights other than standard headlight colors (And the ones with slight hues to them). Anything other than that is completely illegal while driving-- no matter what.

Third-- if you are being pulled over and you don't feel comfortable pulling over in a dark area or something because the car is completely unmarked, you can slow down to a reasonable speed and maintain a slow speed until you feel safe.

Finally-- with those points in mind, why in the world would it be illegal. So it gives police an "unfair" edge to do their job. If you don't like it- Don't break the law.

-Kevin

Edit: Also they are not TECHNICALLY Crown Victorias. The standard police cruiser is the "Police Interceptor". It does have Crown Vic styling; however, they have various upgrades to bring it to a police package (Larger Water pump for instance)

:thumbsup:

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: ShawnD1
I honestly don't understand ATOT's hate for police officers. Just because you have a few threads stating misbehavior in here out of the entire WORLD (This website is world wide ;) ) doesn't mean that all police are bad (On the contrary, a very small portion are real jerks). What goes unsaid is when police are constantly doing their job right-- never once is there a thread about that-- that is the sad part about all of this.

We don't like them because we can't trust them. Not related to this topic, but a few weeks ago I had a seizure in my lab and 911 had to be called. Some paramedics picked me up and helped me into an ambulance, but then some asshole cop gets into the ambulance and yells at me while I'm shaking, telling me that he's going to charge me with public endangerment for running a meth lab (we make moisturizing cream, not meth). When the stepped out the back of the ambulance, the paramedic slammed and locked the door, and we drove off.

A lot of them are good people, but a lot of them are not. They've already shown me that I should never trust them with my life, so why should they be trusted with anything else?

No-- a few of them cannot be trusted. Do you realize how many police there are in the world?? Very few of them (At least in the United States) are crooked. Despite that you only hear about the crooked ones. You never hear about the ones who do their job every single day and take pride in it.

As for your story, I wasn't there, but there must be more to the story than that (Police have kits to test for Methamphetamines and other types of drugs by the way)

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
AFAIK cop cars should always had RED and BLUE lights on them. Most people who fake it just have a red light so you can tell the difference. But I too would recommend calling 911 or something to make sure it's real if you really think it might not be. And also the obvious one of not pulling over in a dark spot by driving to a park & ride or other lit area. If you tell the cop you were just protecting yourself they shouldn't have a problem with it... Unless the nearest exist was 10 miles down the road or something...

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005

I think the gist of his post is that it's not always safe to pull over for an unmarked car that claims to be a police officer. Just about every city has the occasional rash of people pretending to be cops. Therefore, for the interest of public safety, real cops in unmarked cars shouldn't be allowed to pull people over, because that way people will never fall victim for the fraudulent people pretending to be cops.

In which case you go back to my previous point. If you don't feel comfortable then you slow down and maintain a slow speed until you get to a well lit area. When there you call 911 if you are still concerned and you also can request the officers credentials.

One time we drove to a baseball game in one of them and we were stuck in traffic with a black and white in the lane next to us so my buddy would turn on his siren really quickly then turn it off. We then watched the cops reaction. It was pretty funny to see him get confused, then go to look up the tags right as the light turned green and we turned left into the school we were playing.

First off that was illegal, second off someone really dropped the ball when they sold that car. When they sell it, they are allowed to leave the spot light on from my understanding because that is legal for a civilian to own. The lights AND siren; however, are illegal to own and use and therefore should be taken off.

-Kevin

1.) You were that kid who jumped up and down to be a hall monitor in school, weren't you?

2.) I don't get it, are you Christian?

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
Third-- if you are being pulled over and you don't feel comfortable pulling over in a dark area or something because the car is completely unmarked, you can slow down to a reasonable speed and maintain a slow speed until you feel safe.

I would also add to put on your hazard lights to let the officer know what you're doing. They should understand the idea of safety

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Usually these cars stand out like sore thumbs. The ones I have seen in Tennessee have all had tinted windows on carsthat are typically driven by older people who don't tint. My guess is to help conceal the uniformed office inside.

Driving through southern Virginia I did see someone pulled over by a mini-van. Now that would be embarrasing.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2

-Kevin

1.) You were that kid who jumped up and down to be a hall monitor in school, weren't you?

1. And you are the kid that had a problem with anyone tell you what to do huh? For your information, my father and grandfather were both police officers (Ironically, both part time in addition to their Govt Jobs) and both people I admire (My Grandfather died in 1996).

Additionally, I am a security guard when home from college on breaks so the lights rule in particular applies to me (My amber light is only to be used when stopped NEVER while driving).

Finally, as for the other thread going on in ATOT about the drivers license, I know that because I am an RA at Virginia Tech. If there is a student who claims they do not go to this school, then we are supposed to ask for their license as that is required to be on your person at all times.

2. I don't get, why is my religion a factor AT ALL here??

-Kevin

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005

-Kevin

1. And you are the kid that had a problem with anyone tell you what to do huh? For your information, my father and grandfather were both police officers (Ironically, both part time in addition to their Govt Jobs) and both people I admire (My Grandfather died in 1996).

Additionally, I am a security guard when home from college on breaks so the lights rule in particular applies to me (My amber light is only to be used when stopped NEVER while driving).

Finally, as for the other thread going on in ATOT about the drivers license, I know that because I am an RA at Virginia Tech. If there is a student who claims they do not go to this school, then we are supposed to ask for their license as that is required to be on your person at all times.

-Kevin

<---Looks at your sig - looks back at you - looks at your sig

So, do they give you a sash?

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

-Kevin

-Kevin

Wow, congratulations on having the maturity of a High School age student- You made fun of my jobs and my religion. I guess I should just give over my lunch money right away...

-Kevin

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
OP:

Why? The chances of a cop impersonator pulling you over is astronomically small. Cops generally crack down hard and fast on anyone impersonating them, so they are quickly removed and their cars impounded/seized. You inherent distrust just sounds like you want to make a bigger deal out of something that really should not be a huge deal in the first place.

BTW, I would NOT suggest just driving to the next rest stop. Pull over, let the officer make contact and let him know your concerns. To keep on driving, whether or not you call 911 (because you may not get that officers dispatch center), is idiotic to say the least.

cherrytwist

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
Originally posted by: FallenHero
OP:

Why? The chances of a cop impersonator pulling you over is astronomically small. Cops generally crack down hard and fast on anyone impersonating them, so they are quickly removed and their cars impounded/seized. You inherent distrust just sounds like you want to make a bigger deal out of something that really should not be a huge deal in the first place.

BTW, I would NOT suggest just driving to the next rest stop. Pull over, let the officer make contact and let him know your concerns. To keep on driving, whether or not you call 911 (because you may not get that officers dispatch center), is idiotic to say the least.

I had an acquaintenance in college that would get his kicks by pulling people over with his spotlight-equipped Town Car.

Usually he'd pull over underage kids drinking. He'd scare the crap out of them and take their alcohol :D

He looked much older than his age and got away with it more than once...

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
LOL good luck winning that battle if you choose to drive all the way to the next exit. I don't like them either, but sometimes I just need to choose my battles wisely. Honestly, how many cases have you seen/heard/read where a guy tried to pose as an undercover cop by outfitting their vehicle with sirens and lights, wearing a uniform with a fake badge, and tried to commit a crime of some sort using that gimmick?

It just isn't even close to being a big enough problem to merit the change.

Jan 18, 2001
When I was 16 I got pulled over for a bad headlamp. Anyways, the cop car was not exactly unmarked, but it had the lights in the grill, which at the time I had never seen before. I made the mistake of asking the cop "Are you a real officer?" LOL... to which he replied "Yes, is this a real ticket?"

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. A normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow. But he won't know what to make of your blinker signal that says you are about to turn right. This is to let him know you're pulling off for a proper place to talk. It will take him a moment to realize that he's about to make a 180 degree turn at speed, but you will be ready for it. Brace for the g's, and fast heel-toe work.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003

I agree. I was just trying to explain why he might think it should be illegal.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

what is the point of asking an officer for his badge? can anyone here tell a fake badge from a real one? or know that the cop's id is real or not???

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: spacejamz

what is the point of asking an officer for his badge? can anyone here tell a fake badge from a real one? or know that the cop's id is real or not???

Credentials are more than just a badge. His badge should have his officer number (My Dad was Unit 530 and my Grandfather, I believe, was Unit 510) on it. Additionally, on the back there should be certifications and a form of ID (No picture but information)-- this should then match up to the Name Plate on his front pocket.

To the poster a few posts up, it is perfectly legal to slow down and maintain speed for a short distance to a more well lit area with your flashers on when asked to pull over. Calling 911 would be a good option as well if you are able to do that.

The best thing to do if you are very worried, is to call (If you have it) the non-emergency number (If you don't have it, 911) and verify that an officer is behind you and no one else.

-Kevin

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004

-Kevin

-Kevin

Stop being a schmuck.

ric1287

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2005
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. A normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow. But he won't know what to make of your blinker signal that says you are about to turn right. This is to let him know you're pulling off for a proper place to talk. It will take him a moment to realize that he's about to make a 180 degree turn at speed, but you will be ready for it. Brace for the g's, and fast heel-toe work.

what the hell are you talking about?