How about having Powell replace Rumsfeld?

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
This isn't a new idea, and he would do a great job... and the military, including those who are outspoken right now, would support him.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
And how would that change anything? Powell showed himself to be a lapdog. The only viable replacement would be Lieberman. Have to keep a war-machine supporter in that position.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
You guys are crazy. I think Powell is a good man. He may not have known what he was getting into when he joined Bush Jr's administration, but he didn't stick around to drink the kool-aid with the rest of them.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
He already served the Kool-Aid up to the 30,000+ dead Iraqi Citizens and to the International Community.. He was the bartender at the Kool-Aid Bar.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Looney
You guys are crazy. I think Powell is a good man. He may not have known what he was getting into when he joined Bush Jr's administration, but he didn't stick around to drink the kool-aid with the rest of them.

and going back to that kool-aid binge wouldnt help his reputation at all

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
IF he was given autonomy it would be a great idea...
Unfortunately he was treated like a poor sister as Sec. of State and it is clear the neo-cons who never served think they know everything about the military.
If Colin had never served under Bush Jr. he would go down as a great American.
Not anymore.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Powell's burned his bridges, and let's not forget the UN speech on Iraq that even he admits was bogus.

Edit: I think Eric Shinseki would be an interesting choice.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
He prostrated himself before the UN out of loyalty over honor, morality, ethics, etc.

McCain's doing the same thing now.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Yeah, he made a lot of bad choices... but he couldn't very well be public about his opinions being in that position. I remember that time, and i remember use to thinking why wasn't he outspoken more (compared to Afghanistan)... he pretty much did just the bare essentials... and he did get out as soon as he could.

techs is right though... it's a shame his reputation is so ruined... hell, at one time he could have been a presidential candidate (or at least vice-president).

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Yes, he could have gone public. He could have done the *right* thing. Instead, he remained quiet (and pretty much has to this day).

And, there's no way a non-PNAC fvck will be in charge of the Pentagon as long as the Propagandist and his cohort the DICK are in charge.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
techs is right though... it's a shame his reputation is so ruined... hell, at one time he could have been a presidential candidate (or at least vice-president).

Passive speech. He ruined his much-vaunted reputation by being a Bush stooge.

JacobJ

Banned
Mar 20, 2003
Originally posted by: dahunan
He already served the Kool-Aid up to the 30,000+ dead Iraqi Citizens and to the International Community.. He was the bartender at the Kool-Aid Bar.
The lies that he spewed are incredibly saddening. He is just as responsible as Bush for what he did.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Damaged merchandise, I wouldn't want him there. We know now that he was a suck-up.

I'd expect to see General Franks or Meyers offered the sycophant position.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Yeah, he made a lot of bad choices... but he couldn't very well be public about his opinions being in that position. I remember that time, and i remember use to thinking why wasn't he outspoken more (compared to Afghanistan)... he pretty much did just the bare essentials... and he did get out as soon as he could.

I don't think Powell as a presidential canidate would never have happened due to his Vietnam record... the Mi Lai massacare and coverup in particular.

eilute

Jun 1, 2005
That speech he gave in front of the U.N. really was a low point, but I think that behind all of that he has a more realistic outlook.

As far actually running the war goes, I'm not sure if any secretary of defense could really bring stability without major policy changes.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: eilute
That speech he gave in front of the U.N. really was a low point, but I think that behind all of that he has a more realistic outlook.
That speech, and his actions at the time were a complete sellout. He could have stopped this entire war before it started by speaking up. Whether he had the full info at the time, or he just knew the BS he was spouting wasn't confirmed, and he sat on his thumb and twirled, instead of stopping the march to the carnage that followed :|

phantom309

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2002
Originally posted by: JacobJ
Originally posted by: dahunan
The lies that he spewed are incredibly saddening. He is just as responsible as Bush for what he did.
I'd love to disagree, but I can't. I'd love to elaborate, but I can't. He blew it, plain and simple.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: HardWarrior
Originally posted by: BDawg
I have the feeling that Powell is done with this administration.

Well yeah, and it was most likely Bush's choice, not Powell's.

Bingo!

He probably saw that Powell was feeling remorse for his crimes ... better get rid of him now before he makes waves...