How a GTX 580 could handle 1200p?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
Thanks. I didn't even notice there was an option called Resolution scale until you mentioned it to be honest. Thus I never changed it, it was there set at 100. I will keep in mind about the FXAA / MSAA performance difference.

But what I meant to ask was, why at 1050p Ultra the image is looking way better than 1200p Medium? I mean when I am playing at 30% more resolution, shouldn't that count for something? I thought playing at 1050p on a 1200p monitor would look disgusting!

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I was gaming at 1920x1200 in 2007, and even at 2560x1600 for a while. Resolution is a lot less important than people think, and video memory is virtually irrelevant. Most of it goes to storing data other than the frame buffer

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
there is not going to be any visual difference from your resolution screenshots other than physical size. now when actually playing games, the lower you go below native resolution then the blurrier and less crisp the image will be on the screen. always stick to native resolution and adjust settings from there.

Last edited:

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
That's exactly my point. Why I am unable to see the blurriness when I turn down resolution?

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Are you using a CRT or something? Screenshots don't convey the blurriness that non native resolutions have on LCD's. So i'm confused as to why you're using screenshots for comparisons. Screenshots take the picture DIRECTLY FROM THE FRAME BUFFER and don't show how blurry your LCD is. The frame buffer doesn't capture what the eye sees on an LCD. The LCD translate the image at non native resolutions with pixel doubling which will always look worse than native. Now some 4k panels have hardware to improve this, but sub 4k LCDs don't. Non native resolutions, basically, suck.

If you want to make an actual meaningful comparison here, then you'd have to take a picture of your monitor with a camera or something. Unless you're using a CRT where native resolution doesn't matter. On the typical LCD, non native resolutions look like trash. That's an understatement actually. But maybe you have a CRT. I don't know.

Last edited:

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
GTX580 is like a 7870. Turn down settings to medium and turn down AA if necessary, but you should be fine in most games even with fairly high settings and AA. Fine being defined as >30 fps average.

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
Are you using a CRT or something? Screenshots don't convey the blurriness that non native resolutions have on LCD's. So i'm confused as to why you're using screenshots for comparisons. Screenshots take the picture DIRECTLY FROM THE FRAME BUFFER and don't show how blurry your LCD is. The frame buffer doesn't capture what the eye sees on an LCD. The LCD translate the image at non native resolutions with pixel doubling which will always look worse than native. Now some 4k panels have hardware to improve this, but sub 4k LCDs don't. Non native resolutions, basically, suck.

If you want to make an actual meaningful comparison here, then you'd have to take a picture of your monitor with a camera or something. Unless you're using a CRT where native resolution doesn't matter. On the typical LCD, non native resolutions look like trash. That's an understatement actually. But maybe you have a CRT. I don't know.
Okay, will take photos from cell phone camera tomorrow. But I see no blurriness with my eyes either. So these screenshots do prove what I am trying to say here, at least I think.

The monitor is a U2412M by the way!
GTX580 is like a 7870. Turn down settings to medium and turn down AA if necessary, but you should be fine in most games even with fairly high settings and AA. Fine being defined as >30 fps average.
30 FPS give me headache. I can't or won't play if I don't get average of 40 at least. 45 is what I like (when it's not 60 of course) but well if I don't invest I don't get, quite okay with that :)

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
You probably don't need to drop everything to medium, maybe just knock AA down a notch, I usually find if I really have to, I can get decent results from knocking 1 or 2 settings down at the most. Just a case of experimenting.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I don't think you understand. Non native resolutions on your IPS panel are pixel doubled and look like crap. But maybe your eyes find the blurry image more pleasing. I don't know or care. I'm saying screenshots don't capture what is on the LCD. They capture the frame buffer. They don't capture the pixel doubling scaling that your monitor does. It is impossible for a frame buffer screen shot to capture this.

You don't have to prove anything with your camera pics or whatever. I'm just saying what your eyes are seeing aren't captured by screenshots. We're seeing frame buffer shots. We're not seeing how blurry your monitor is at non native res, and yes, the scaling hardware in Dell's IPS panels sucks. Maybe your eyes are more biased to the blurry image at non native resolution like I said. Which is strange because non native resolution on IPS panels basically are trash. And i've used plenty of Dell IPS panels to know. But. Whatever. Your eyes not mine, use whatever you like.

whatever works for you. The bottom line is, you aren't going to run everything at ultra with a 580, but you can easily make it doable. Lower AA, shadows, and a few settings here and there and you will be good to go. Pretty easy concept, lower the settings that matter the most until you get a doable framerate. Adjust till it works at an acceptable framerate. Or lower the resolution if you like the blurry scaled image. Whatever works for you.

Last edited:

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
I don't think you understood me sir. I am not asking this here to prove anything. I have fine eyes last time I checked and I know what I see and what I like. What I find absolutely stupid in this case is how on earth a lower resolution / non native resolution is not causing the amount of blurriness I expected it should!

Anyway, shot some photos from the cell! Look at it or don't, I honestly don't care, I am doing this for my own's sake and curiosity :/

1200p Ultra : http://i.imgur.com/sbkN9dK.jpg

1200p Medium : http://i.imgur.com/Wi46t8Y.jpg

1050p Ultra : http://i.imgur.com/cF0T5Lg.jpg

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
your vision is not as good as you think it is. even on those cell phone pics i can see the 1680x1050 screen being blurrier. I just put both pics on full screen and looked back and forth at them and it pretty evident if you are examining. in actual live use it would be even more noticeable.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I don't see what the OP is really complaining about. Game at the resolution/settings you find most enjoyable, or upgrade your graphics cards. Simple as that.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Game at the resolution/settings you find most enjoyable, or upgrade your graphics cards. Simple as that.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head. :) Certainly don't listen to us OP. If you prefer non native res for gaming, go for it. Would I do it? Not on an IPS panel, nah. I really despise the pixel doubled image. So I wouldn't game at non native resolution, but that's me and what you do is what you do. Everyone's different.

Maybe some 4k panels will change the scaling situation. But I doubt it. Apparently this scaling tech for 4k requires expensive scaling hardware, and I don't see PC panels using it. We'll see though. This is kinda off topic though.

Anyway, OP, you're gaming for you and what you like better. Do what you gotta do to make it work. Now personally if I were budget minded - a GTX 580 can be made to work. But you just can't blindly apply ultra at everything. You'll have to lower settings here and there to game at native resolution. But by all means do what YOU want to do.

Last edited:

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
I don't see what the OP is really complaining about. Game at the resolution/settings you find most enjoyable, or upgrade your graphics cards. Simple as that.
Complaining? Maybe you need to relearn the meaning of the word or actually read my post! Jeez!

@mods : Kindly close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.