Hoverboards imminent

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
it's funny cause his explanation of back to the future 2 is exactly how I felt as a kid watching it :)

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
The casimir effect operates on the order of nanometers. Even the roughness of smooth surfaces is on the order of nanometers. It'll "hover" too close to the ground to see with th naked eye, and too close to actually clear friction on the surface it's "hovering" over.

This has significance, but only for nanotechnology.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: So
The casimir effect operates on the order of nanometers. Even the roughness of smooth surfaces is on the order of nanometers. It'll "hover" too close to the ground to see with th naked eye, and too close to actually clear friction on the surface it's "hovering" over.

We just need more power, on the order of 1.21 Gigawatts!
Great Scott!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
If this technology allowed for things like hoverboards, I'm sure the military would take it and claim first priority...and maybe even classify it as a National Defense Secret...however, the commercial implications of such a thing are immense...do away with wheels for transportation, hauling, etc...many, many potential uses for something like this.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
that reminds me of a heinlein book i read as a kid... all the big trucks were hovercraft, that got more resistance with the more force it exerted on the road. damn this memory, i cant remember which story it was...

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

Boo you suck! :(

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
Gizmodo is such a piece of shit. This is what happens when you get hippies to comment on technology.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Is the self-powered Pit Bull model available for pre-order anywhere yet? I want to be able to go over water!

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001

From the article:

"Their discovery could ultimately lead to frictionless micro-machines with moving parts that levitate But they say that, in principle at least, the same effect could be used to levitate bigger objects too, even a person."

"Micro or nano machines could run smoother and with less or no friction at all if one can manipulate the force.? Though it is possible to levitate objects as big as humans, scientists are a long way off developing the technology for such feats, said Dr Philbin."