Houston fry's - KT266A chipset + XP1700+ - $249

zigCorsair

Nov 20, 2001
The Houston Fry's has the Soyo SY-K7V Dragon Plus! and the XP 1700+ for 249. As this runs the KT266A chipset, I thought it was a good deal.

I think the deal either expires after today, or close of tomorrow, but it's still good now (cite: normal fry's sale rules).

Past forum link 1

Past forum link 2

worth

Platinum Member
Feb 4, 2001
Does anyone know anything about the Soyo SY-K7V Dragon Plus? Is it a good motherboard for the Athlon XP? Does it have firewire?

zigCorsair

Nov 20, 2001
No firewire (at least that I've found), but it has a multimedia port of some sort and 4 usb ports.

I can't currently get my dvd decoder working on it, but I don't think it's the motherboard or proc's fault - been an issue for awhile now.

zojirushi

Nov 26, 2001
In terms of whether its good or not - Tom's Hardware has a roundup of KT266A motherboards where he gave it a runner's up (putting it ahead of ASUS and others):

<< First choice among the boards equipped with a VIA KT266A chipset goes to the Soltek SL-75DRV2 and the Soyo SY-K7V (Dragon Plus!). >>

UF Jspec

Oct 15, 1999
I am hoping the ECS motherboard and XP 1700 combo comes back to Fry's.

I think it was $189, an awesome deal in my opinion.

potcedotcom

Apr 4, 2001
I have this same combo and it ROCKS! The Soyo Dragon + M/B is loaded with features, such as 3 DDR RAM, built-in NIC, built-in 5.1 sound (I know, built in sound usually sucks, but this one has superb sound), RAID and more. . .

Here is a link to Soyo USA - there are many links to reviews on the left side of the page

Direct Link to Mobo and Specs

I am no overclocker, but have read that this board is extremely O/C friendly. Highly Recommended! Just make sure you get the latest Via 4n1 drivers, you may have stability issues w/o them. Get them at ViaArena

Outpost has same combo for $299, FYI. . I wish Fry's would open a store in NC. . .maybe not, then I'd be a broke joke

MarkM

Oct 16, 2001
Does anyone know anything about the Soyo SY-K7V Dragon Plus? Is it a good motherboard for the Athlon XP? Does it have firewire?

this was the board I chose after extensive research for a system I am putting together right now (already have the board, but still waiting on the CPU ...) no firewire, but it does have LAN, 5.1 sound, and Promise RAIS controller built in, & lots of other touches. search google and you'll find a bazillion reviews (every one favorable I think). the best price right now (for the board alone) is around $150 shipped, so yes, this is a hot deal.

>I am hoping the ECS motherboard and XP 1700 combo comes back to Fry's. I think it was $189, an awesome deal in my opinion.

$169 I think, someone was just posting it last week ...

bambam

Oct 28, 1999
Could some of you Fry's regulars please ask them to open a store in Atlanta ? :)

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000

<< I am hoping the ECS motherboard and XP 1700 combo comes back to Fry's.

I think it was $189, an awesome deal in my opinion.
>>

Sacramento Fry's has the combo you're looking for, only $169 thru tomorrow

zigCorsair

Nov 20, 2001
I figured out it's a dvd player issue - bought at 11.5 months ago (still under warranty ;) ). It had lots of cables to plug into the board=lots of features. Cool!

tryanasaurus

Jan 28, 2001
Does anyone know if these deals are available on outpost.com. They have the MB and cpu combo but it's listed at $299.

zigCorsair

Nov 20, 2001

<< Does anyone know if these deals are available on outpost.com. They have the MB and cpu combo but it's listed at $299. >>

outpost.com does not PM (price match) their fry's ads. - so nope

JameyF

Oct 5, 2001
That's a good deal. I wish I could get in on it. Let us know if anyone gets in on it through a PM.