House Speaker election/circus/all ages carnival - ongoing coverage

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Yeah, it looks like he committed multiple major campaign finance violations. Like it looks like he might have cooked the books to make it look like he 'loaned' his campaign money he didn't have then to have his campaign pay that loan back to him. Basically using campaign fund donations to pay himself to run for office.
it doesnt matter unless he gets removed from office.
he can pay the fine from the $ his dumb MAGA sheepies are donating to him

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
It doesn’t matter if they find nothing on Hunter Biden or Fauci – the digging is the thing. Both because Republicans will use it to foment a constant sense that this matter is UNDER INVESTIGATION, and they’ll sift through whatever they get to find anything they can blow up into it’s own scandal to keep the MAGA base frothing and to keep themselves on TV for the next two years.

The “moderate Republican” revolt was never going to happen. Because there are no moderate House Republicans – the Republican groups and individuals that sometimes get referred to as “moderate” are deeply conservative in their rhetoric and policy positions. The split here is more between radicals and institutionalists, and the institutionalists aren’t going to publicly break with party leadership. They’ll try to work behind the scenes to advance their agendas, but they’ll always be at a disadvantage to those members who are happy to set the house on fire.

The GOP representatives who have won votes selling themselves as “moderate/centrist” might have a tougher time finding buyers as a result next time.
To almost quote Trump, "just make the accusation. We'll take it from there"

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
To almost quote Trump, "just make the accusation. We'll take it from there"

That right there sums up the attitude the Repubs have taken, what with their having to defend and/or ignore Trump's too many to mention gaffs and goofs, inadvertent admissions of guilt, complicity, blatant lies and outright racist words and deeds.

The nonchalance with which Trump reveals his unethical and immoral behavior has compelled his supporters to raise the level of tolerance toward his anti-social inhumane attitude to the point where there is no limit as to what they will allow Trump, his sycophants and the media to get away with.

• Love
Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
The questions going forward is how the House is going to settle differences with the Senate. The House can adopt whatever rules they want to that guarantee floor votes on whack-a-doodle legislation or budget riders that require Alejandro Mayorkas’ salary to be paid in the giant stone currency of Easter Island. But when the Senate refuses to go along, I'm wondering how will this stuff get resolved?

The traditional way to resolve such differences is a conference committee between the two chambers. The Speaker appoints the House conferees, and the final agreement of the conference committee is non-amendable. This might create a scenario where McCarthy lets his Freedom Caucus members go nuts in passing insane conditions on the debt ceiling or budget bills, but then appoints more reasonable members to the conference committee who agree to drop them from the final product? Who knows...I may be projecting more strategic thinking onto McCarthy than he is actually capable of. McCarthy’s strategic thinking might just be that he just wants to get through the next five minutes, and he’ll figure out the rest later.

Reactions: Pohemi

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
The questions going forward is how the House is going to settle differences with the Senate. The House can adopt whatever rules they want to that guarantee floor votes on whack-a-doodle legislation or budget riders that require Alejandro Mayorkas’ salary to be paid in the giant stone currency of Easter Island. But when the Senate refuses to go along, I'm wondering how will this stuff get resolved?

The traditional way to resolve such differences is a conference committee between the two chambers. The Speaker appoints the House conferees, and the final agreement of the conference committee is non-amendable. This might create a scenario where McCarthy lets his Freedom Caucus members go nuts in passing insane conditions on the debt ceiling or budget bills, but then appoints more reasonable members to the conference committee who agree to drop them from the final product? Who knows...I may be projecting more strategic thinking onto McCarthy than he is actually capable of. McCarthy’s strategic thinking might just be that he just wants to get through the next five minutes, and he’ll figure out the rest later.
Shut downs until enough people in the house gop caucus understand the political cost.

Reactions: hal2kilo

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
This might create a scenario where McCarthy lets his Freedom Caucus members go nuts in passing insane conditions on the debt ceiling or budget bills, but then appoints more reasonable members to the conference committee who agree to drop them from the final product?
Except they are going to vote of no confidence him any time he does anything they don't like. The question is how serious are they about their ideals? Do they just want to showboat and just be able to say that they voted to tank the economy, or are they serious about tanking the economy? We will find out in about 5 months!

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Not sure what's being said obv, but that also looks like McCain in front of him, possibly telling the guy at the table on the right edge to stfu? idk

McCain "Here's where I tell you to eat my ass. Ready?"
- McConnell "...hmm..."

McCain "Eat my ass."
- McConnell "... harrumph..."

McCain "I left all my fucks in that bamboo cage Ninja. McCain out."

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic and Pohemi

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Was just thinking(no pun intended), that if the majority of Americans has been brainwashed into thinking that the Inflation and economy is somehow Democrats fault… Doesnt team treason have incentive to fubar the debt ceiling and make the US default, even if its only for a couple of days? Its gonna hurt the economy drive up inflation and interest, so in terms of bad exposure for the other side its a win for gop?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Get the popcorn ready! The debt ceiling will be hit next Thursday. First government shutdown will be sometime this June after they exhaust extraordinary measures. Let the game of chicken commence!

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Get the popcorn ready! The debt ceiling will be hit next Thursday. First government shutdown will be sometime this June after they exhaust extraordinary measures. Let the game of chicken commence!

That's not a shutdown. It's we stop paying our bills. We've had shutdowns in the past. We've never blown through the debt ceiling.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Face it. Fauci nor Hunter did anything wrong, especially Fauci. All that republicans wish to accomplish is enacting another below the belt Jim Jordan/Hillary Clinton Benghazi attack, this time targeting Fauci and Hunter. And oh gee.... damn, I remember how all of those Trump crooks including Trump himself were forced testified.... NOT!!! :rolleyes:

Hunter has been under federal investigation since 2018. I wouldn't conclude he's done nothing wrong, although guilt shouldn't be presumed either. I think you were trying to say that there is no credible evidence from the Hunter Biden laptop controversy that implicates Joe in doing anything wrong.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

The most recent projections I've seen don't call for us hitting the debt ceiling until June at the earliest, and more likely mid July and we are probably able to operate the government normally for 5-7 weeks after we hit it, then do a partial shutdown of low impact projects to keep important (but non-critical) functions working for another 4-5 weeks. Overall the real impact of the debt ceiling will probably not be felt until after the new budget negotiations are started.

My guess is Congress intends to tackle both at the same time in late September. By then the financial markets will have panicked and the idea of not raising the debt ceiling will no longer be seriously considered viable by most Republicans and they can get down to negotiating.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The most recent projections I've seen don't call for us hitting the debt ceiling until June at the earliest, and more likely mid July and we are probably able to operate the government normally for 5-7 weeks after we hit it, the do a partial shutdown of low impact projects to keep important (but non-critical) functions working for another 4-5 weeks. Overall the real impact of the debt ceiling will probably not be felt until after the new budget negotiations are started.

My guess is Congress intends to tackle both at the same time in late September. By then the financial markets will have panicked and the idea of not raising the debt ceiling will no longer be seriously considered viable by most Republicans and they can get down to negotiating.
Keep wishing. This is the party of bomb throwers.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The most recent projections I've seen don't call for us hitting the debt ceiling until June

Shit, I was wrong. I just saw the news that the Debt limit is expected to be hit on the 19th. I don't know what will happen with that.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Shit, I was wrong. I just saw the news that the Debt limit is expected to be hit on the 19th. I don't know what will happen with that.

It's the same thing ... limit will be hit in January, but we can stay afloat until Jun/Jul with special measures. Always the plan.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
The most recent projections I've seen don't call for us hitting the debt ceiling until June at the earliest, and more likely mid July and we are probably able to operate the government normally for 5-7 weeks after we hit it, then do a partial shutdown of low impact projects to keep important (but non-critical) functions working for another 4-5 weeks. Overall the real impact of the debt ceiling will probably not be felt until after the new budget negotiations are started.

Ummm Yellen gave the most recent timeline today. In her release she said we hit the debt ceiling next Thursday and extraordinary measures will likely get us till early June at which point the debt ceiling needs raises to pay the bills or the government defaults and/or shuts down.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The government doesn't have to shut down if the debt limit is reached and a default occurs. Congress has already appropriated funding through the end of September and government agencies can legally keep spending that money. If the debt limit is reached, the government could legally kite the checks and keep going. Yes, the global financial markets would collapse. Minting the coin is probably a better approach. It removes the threat of a debt default until the next time the Reps take control of government.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pohemi and Pens1566