House Speaker election/circus/all ages carnival - ongoing coverage

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
None of those things are going to happen - the only question here is how much damage the GOP does to the country before they surrender.

If the GOP wants to cut federal spending they are free to win all three elected bodies of government and then cut spending to whatever they want. Of course whenever they DO win all three branches they don't do this, they cut taxes for rich people and call it a day because they don't actually give a shit other than that.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I don't think there's enough attention being given to that last bullet point. There absolutely will be a debt limit crisis, and I think it's highly likely an increase will NOT pass in time.
I agree, and people have sounded the alarm about this for a long time now. From statements by various senators it appears either Manchin, Sinema, or both were not interested in passing a debt limit increase or abolition so nothing could be done. (naturally all Republicans were opposed)

I think some sort of temporary default is pretty likely and that's bad news. I genuinely hope Biden ends this once and for all by minting the coin. Is that solution stupid? Yes. Is that solution in line with the spirit of the law? No. It is entirely within his powers though and in the face of this sort of stupidity sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
By accepting a pardon, you admit your guilt. While you mean well with this, this is almost as stupid as any MTG idea. And once pardon is granted, one MUST testify in front congress. And you cant plead the 5th

Face it. Fauci nor Hunter did anything wrong, especially Fauci. All that republicans wish to accomplish is enacting another below the belt Jim Jordan/Hillary Clinton Benghazi attack, this time targeting Fauci and Hunter. And oh gee.... damn, I remember how all of those Trump crooks including Trump himself were forced testified.... NOT!!! :rolleyes:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
None of those things are going to happen - the only question here is how much damage the GOP does to the country before they surrender.

If the GOP wants to cut federal spending they are free to win all three elected bodies of government and then cut spending to whatever they want. Of course whenever they DO win all three branches they don't do this, they cut taxes for rich people and call it a day because they don't actually give a shit other than that.

The Senate must to x,y,z etc stuff is comedy gold. Nothing that chamber loves more than the House telling it what it has to do. I'm sure that is going to work out.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I think some sort of temporary default is pretty likely and that's bad news. I genuinely hope Biden ends this once and for all by minting the coin. Is that solution stupid? Yes. Is that solution in line with the spirit of the law? No. It is entirely within his powers though and in the face of this sort of stupidity sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.

Minting the coin is a stupid solution to a stupid problem. The entire situation is contrived so I don't care if a gimmick is used to resolve it.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I don't think there's enough attention being given to that last bullet point. There absolutely will be a debt limit crisis, and I think it's highly likely an increase will NOT pass in time.

Ive been saying this. But the issue now is how so many people think or believe this will somehow not affect them. It will. Like a lot, to the extent of halting payments to people on SS, SS disability, federal employees, state employees (the trickle down), and THE BLEED will affect non government jobs and income as well. But don't take my word, just wait....

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Ive been saying this. But the issue now is how so many people think or believe this will somehow not affect them. It will. Like a lot, to the extent of halting payments to people on SS, SS disability, federal employees, state employees (the trickle down), and THE BLEED will affect non government jobs and income as well. But don't take my word, just wait....

The individual consequences, while inconvenient, are nothing compared to the macro impact.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The individual consequences, while inconvenient, are nothing compared to the macro impact.
I really wish we could skip this whole thing where a new class of Republicans learns the same thing previous classes of Republicans learned.

This is a situation where Democrats cannot give a single, solitary concession because doing so guarantees future debt default. The public will blame Republicans as they always (correctly) do with these government shutdowns/debt ceiling shenanigans and their donors/constituents will start to flip out, at which point a bunch of moderate Republicans will join with all Democrats to raise the debt limit.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I really wish we could skip this whole thing where a new class of Republicans learns the same thing previous classes of Republicans learned.

This is a situation where Democrats cannot give a single, solitary concession because doing so guarantees future debt default. The public will blame Republicans as they always (correctly) do with these government shutdowns/debt ceiling shenanigans and their donors/constituents will start to flip out, at which point a bunch of moderate Republicans will join with all Democrats to raise the debt limit.

Except I don't think that group of "moderate" republicans exists anymore. Or, it's not large enough to have any impact.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
We are expected to hit the debt limit sometime in June and they are wanting to link it to budget negotiations? The House won't even start talking about the next year's budget until September 20th! Congress is completely incapable of having budget negotiations until they hit the deadline.
They even plan on a Continuing Resolution in point 5! CR's should not be the expected way of dealing with the budget. If they wanted to reform something, that should be it.

Reactions: Pohemi

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
It doesn’t matter if they find nothing on Hunter Biden or Fauci – the digging is the thing. Both because Republicans will use it to foment a constant sense that this matter is UNDER INVESTIGATION, and they’ll sift through whatever they get to find anything they can blow up into it’s own scandal to keep the MAGA base frothing and to keep themselves on TV for the next two years.

The “moderate Republican” revolt was never going to happen. Because there are no moderate House Republicans – the Republican groups and individuals that sometimes get referred to as “moderate” are deeply conservative in their rhetoric and policy positions. The split here is more between radicals and institutionalists, and the institutionalists aren’t going to publicly break with party leadership. They’ll try to work behind the scenes to advance their agendas, but they’ll always be at a disadvantage to those members who are happy to set the house on fire.

The GOP representatives who have won votes selling themselves as “moderate/centrist” might have a tougher time finding buyers as a result next time.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
It doesn’t matter if they find nothing on Hunter Biden or Fauci – the digging is the thing. Both because Republicans will use it to foment a constant sense that this matter is UNDER INVESTIGATION, and they’ll sift through whatever they get to find anything they can blow up into it’s own scandal to keep the MAGA base frothing and to keep themselves on TV for the next two years.

The “moderate Republican” revolt was never going to happen. Because there are no moderate House Republicans – the Republican groups and individuals that sometimes get referred to as “moderate” are deeply conservative in their rhetoric and policy positions. The split here is more between radicals and institutionalists, and the institutionalists aren’t going to publicly break with party leadership. They’ll try to work behind the scenes to advance their agendas, but they’ll always be at a disadvantage to those members who are happy to set the house on fire.

The GOP representatives who have won votes selling themselves as “moderate/centrist” might have a tougher time finding buyers as a result next time.

Agreed. No matter what the outcome of these sham "investigations" are, the primary reason, well the only reason these so called investigations will be held by the House Repubs is to pull another hit job like they did with Hillary Clinton or like any of those other "investigations" that led to debunked dead ends that their party members will without fail ignore or, in the face of irrefutable proof to the contrary, light up the airwaves with a newer ghastly act of treason the Democrats committed against "the people" that's conjured up by the Repub leadership to distract from the former distraction, creating as much chaos and damage to the opposition as possible.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
surprised Gaetz didnt win the $1.1B Megamillions.

7-13-14-15-18, MB=9

All #s he likes.. wait.. no.. 18 is too old.
that explains it

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
FEC will take care of it. Ha,ha, ha avoiding further ha ha's per the rule.
Yeah, it looks like he committed multiple major campaign finance violations. Like it looks like he might have cooked the books to make it look like he 'loaned' his campaign money he didn't have then to have his campaign pay that loan back to him. Basically using campaign fund donations to pay himself to run for office.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi