House passes bailout.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/financial_meltdown

Congress OKs historic bailout bill By JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVIS and DAVID ESPO, Associated Press Writers
1 minute ago

With the economy on the brink and elections looming, Congress approved an unprecedented $700 billion government bailout of the battered financial industry on Friday and sent it to President Bush for his certain signature.

The final vote, 263-171 in the House, capped two weeks of tumult in Congress and on Wall Street, punctuated by daily warnings that the country confronted the gravest economic crisis since the Great Depression if lawmakers failed to act.

Bush was poised to make a statement on the historic vote.

"We all know that we are in the midst of a financial crisis," House Republican Leader John Boehner of Ohio, said shortly before casting his vote for government intervention in private capital markets that was unthinkable only a month ago.

"And we know that if we do nothing, this crisis is likely to worsen and to put us into an economic slump like most of us have never seen."

Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said the bill was needed to "Begin to shape the financial stability of our country and the economic security of our people."

Stocks were up on Wall Street, where there was a lot of anticipation of the vote but where investors also were buffeted by a bad report on the job market. The Labor Department said employers slashed 159,000 jobs in September, the largest cut in five years and further evidence of a sinking economy.

Even before the measure cleared Congress, the White House sought to dampen optimism of its immediate impact on the economy. "This legislation is to fix a problem in our financial markets," said spokesman Tony Fratto. "It's not sold as giving a boost to the economy, but rather preventing a crisis in our economy... If it works as we hope it will, credit will be able to begin flowing again."

The House vote marked a sharp change from Monday, when an earlier measure was sent down to defeat, largely at the hands of angry conservative Republicans.

Senate leaders quickly took custody of the measure, adding on $110 billion in tax and spending provisions designed to attract additional support, then grafting on legislation mandating broader mental health coverage in the insurance industry. The revised measure won Senate approval Wednesday night, 74-25, setting up a furious round of lobbying in the House as the administration, congressional leaders, the major party presidential candidates and outside groups joined forces behind the measure.

I am still looking for the exact details. As we have learned over the past few years, the devis in the details.
btw stocks so far not up much at 1:45 pm Eastern time

EDIT: OOPS just noticed that another bailout thread just updated and put "update" in thread title.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

I had a funny feeling that the initial rejection was just a planned charade.

I think it was just a rebuff of the fact Bush proposed it. Republicans used the rejection as a tool to show distance between them and Bush.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: techs
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

I had a funny feeling that the initial rejection was just a planned charade.

I think it was just a rebuff of the fact Bush proposed it. Republicans used the rejection as a tool to show distance between them and Bush.

there's no fooling the great techs!

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Good, this is sorely needed and far better than not passing anything at all as the Paulbots and libertarians would have us believe.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Haha, they were just pissed off about the first one because it didn't have enough money in it.

Crooks.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
My Rep got a billion bucks in tax credits for her pet constituency. That was enough to convince her to flip-flop and support the boondoggle.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: manowar821
Haha, they were just pissed off about the first one because it didn't have enough money in it.

Crooks.

No, I think at first all they heard were the angry morons who opposed the plan and later they heard from the economic intelligentsia telling them they would ruin the economy without a plan. They went from fear of being thrown out by the angry mob to being ridiculed by people who know something for destroying the country. They needed time to come to their senses.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
Good, this is sorely needed and far better than not passing anything at all as the Paulbots and libertarians would have us believe.

Good to see your true colors in black & white. Big government lovers like yourself like the national taxpayer credit card. That will come to an end in time.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon

Good to see your true colors in black & white. Big government lovers like yourself like the national taxpayer credit card. That will come to an end in time.

Everything comes to an end in time. Take it where you can get it, I guess.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

I wish it were just the Paulbots and libertarians who were against this. If it was, it'd mean we had about 80% of the country on our side.

No, people of all walks of life realize they're going to get shafted by this deal.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

Oh, right. Dennis Kucinich is a real Paulbot! Same with the Sanchez sisters from Cali. Definitely hard-right libertarians. And that John Conyers - definitely a Paulbot.

:roll:

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: BoberFett

I wish it were just the Paulbots and libertarians who were against this. If it was, it'd mean we had about 80% of the country on our side.

No, people of all walks of life realize they're going to get shafted by this deal.

No actually, a good portion of the public doesn't even understand the bailout, and many polls have shown that a majority support it.

Though, in either case, laymans will be laymans.

Originally posted by: Mursilis

Oh, right. Dennis Kucinich is a real Paulbot! Same with the Sanchez sisters from Cali. Definitely hard-right libertarians. And that John Conyers - definitely a Paulbot.

:roll:

I didn't say only Paulbots and libertarians opposed the bill. You should read carefully.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
hey, well, if they didn't pass it this time how many times will the run it through to vote on it? This system is rigged.... Rigged!

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Hey, you can't blame him, he is from South Carolina after all.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

No, they think they are going to get shafted because the government doesn't ordinarily serve their interests. They don't know enough to say for certain one way or the other. The politicians are divided, economists are divided, everybody has his own opinion. How I hear it is that something has to be done and something is being done. Into that everybody will project his or her own hysteria, paranoia, ignorance, and hope. Now we shall all learn more as things unfold.

brencat

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2007
This is just the beginning folks. It's the rule of the slippery slope and past precedent. You watch...every troubled industry and states included (CA?) will be coming to the taxpayer door with their hands out now. I'm fuming mad, and I'm not a Paulbot either.

Whatever happened to "suck it up" or "too bad, you can't have it" ? Our pigs-at-the-trough representatives are merely a reflection of our society today: Impatient and selfish "gotta have it today so charge it."

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001

No, they think they are going to get shafted because the government doesn't ordinarily serve their interests. They don't know enough to say for certain one way or the other. The politicians are divided, economists are divided, everybody has his own opinion. How I hear it is that something has to be done and something is being done. Into that everybody will project his or her own hysteria, paranoia, ignorance, and hope. Now we shall all learn more as things unfold.

Didn't GWB say attacking Iraq HAD to be done? That definitely shows we can trust politicians when they make such claims.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

Hey, you can't blame him, he is from South Carolina after all.

You fail.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

That's why the jobs report sucks so bad, dozens of companies are heading into the shitter, and the economy is sinking faster than a mafioso with cement boots into the long island sound.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

That's why the jobs report sucks so bad, dozens of companies are heading into the shitter, and the economy is sinking faster than a mafioso with cement boots into the long island sound.

So Bush's plan is to spend 700 billion dollars and maybe create 500 jobs.

Give up, this has nothing to do with the economy and everything to do with making sure paulson's wall streets pals don't fell any of the downside.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: smack Down

Give up, this has nothing to do with the economy and everything to do with making sure paulson's wall streets pals don't fell any of the downside.

Why do you blather this shit when you don't know fuck all. You are just dumping your childish frustration and anger like child having a tantrum.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000

So Bush's plan is to spend 700 billion dollars and maybe create 500 more profiteering billionaire CEO's all wearing golden parachutes.

The bolded is more along the lines of actuality as I see it.;)

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

Not that you would care, but people are losing jobs up here. One of my coworkers was laid off yesterday. I had dinner with a friend who worked at Lehman, lost 90% of wealth that was locked up in LEH stock.

These are people who spent a lot of money in the economy. Whether you realize it or not, this is filtering down, fast. Your steadfast refusal to acknowledge the truth makes you look more idiotic than believing the plane won't take off.