House GOP 'Seriously Entertaining' Debt Default Idea

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by dmcowen674, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Balt

Balt Lifer

Sounds good to me. There's plenty of work around the country that needs to be done.

2. IronWing

IronWing Lifer

In effect, increasing infrastructure spending does that. While infrastructure spending is funneled through contractors instead of direct employment the result is the same: more workers working. Keeping functioning companies working makes more sense to me than directly hiring workers to do the work that those companies exist to do.

3. LunarRay

LunarRay Diamond Member

If we create the demand that demand will be met by existing companies and start up ones. The government is best suited to create the demand and not to create the infrastructure... That which causes the greatest 'trickle about' has my vote.

4. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Lifer

What I do not accept is that there is no spending that can be cut that will slow the economic recovery. You cannot tell me with a straight face that every dollar is well spent and essential to the recovery.

If I were emperor for a day, one of the first things I would do is make it so that any person who receives EITC on their taxes cannot have their taxes prepared by a for-profit tax preparation service. At $300-$400 a pop, which is 10% of the average credit this is at least a $3.6b subsidy to the for-profit tax prep industry.

I would also eliminate TSA, and dramatically scale back foreign aid.

We need to cut spending by 10% to roughly balance the budget. Half that would be an improvement. You're honestly saying there is nothing that can be cut?

5. LunarRay

LunarRay Diamond Member

Nope! I can't... there is plenty of wasted spending...

I'd do away with the EITC but, in a comprehensive tax reform act coupled with a livable minimum wage and contraceptive program produce an incentive to live within the means of one's income. Live and not starve... I don't figure all folks should drive a Vet but they should have public transport available. That kind of thinking.

What I'm saying is that the fix is not in place... what the attempted fix might be given the polarity of Congress is likely to be a mess...

IF we had a Parliamentary form we'd give one side the chance to get it done and if they fail... there is the other side to choose... We'd have that form, in essence, with a same party congress and executive... Do something Congress but don't do something that wont work.... Imagine that....

EDIT: I'd also eliminate gerrymandering... IF a State has six congress persons via the census then they'd run in State wide races with the top six getting the seats... Sorta like the Senate. The responsibilities to the constituents might be an issue that I've not sorted out yet... maybe some form that divides the districts in an unbiased manner... something... but not this latest secure seat crap...

My version of foreign aid is to send money to Jersey... or New York... via DC.

#255 LunarRay, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  6. michal1980

michal1980 Diamond Member

your a nut case.

7. LunarRay

LunarRay Diamond Member

No... I don't think I've ever had a nut case so it can't be mine.

8. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Lifer

I wouldn't have a problem with any of that. Now if we could get the two parties to get some common fucking sense.

I don't mind spending money. I mind wasting it. And I think we waste enough to balance the budget, or close to it.