Question [HotNews] NV's Ultimate end-game - monthly GPU rental? (GeForce Now 3080 tier)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Could be. What would you do, if GPU *ownership* disappeared off the market, and they went rental-only? Both for gaming, and potentially, crypto and other CUDA applications?

NickelPlate

Nov 9, 2006
What I'd tell them isn't allowed to be said in the forum's technical forums. ;)

That being said, am I the only one who can't stand all these various YouTuber's "surprised", "angry", and "deep-thought" faces they all seem to put in their videos to try to get people to watch it?

Yes the stupid faces and gigantic bright colored fonts is become a very irritating trend among YouTubers. That and every video has to start with "What's Up Guys!!!!!, Whazzzup!!!! What is up!!!!! Hey guys!!!!!. I purposely don't subscribe to YouTubers who do this even though the content might be of interest. I'll get it somewhere else.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yes the stupid faces and gigantic bright colored fonts is become a very irritating trend among YouTubers. That and every video has to start with "What's Up Guys!!!!!, Whazzzup!!!! What is up!!!!! Hey guys!!!!!. I purposely don't subscribe to YouTubers who do this even though the content might be of interest. I'll get it somewhere else.
They all remind of Corey from Family Guy. :p

NickelPlate

Nov 9, 2006
Well I just managed to get an RTX3060 for MSRP at Microcenter just last month and consider myself very lucky. Yeah I know the "non-Ti" version gets crapped on but it's still better than nothing and better than my GTX1070ti by a fair margin. Regards the original topic I saw this announcement on the web and just shook my head. I've been winding down my expectations of PC gaming ever being like it was in the "good old days". Yeah I'm an old timer my first gfx card was a Diamond Viper V770. Thankfully I have many other hobbies and activities to occupy my time and there are always books. Frankly, a lot of gamers these days could stand to read more.

Reactions: dvsv

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I could see a service, where ordinary people who own GPUs, rent them over the internet, to those that don't. (Gigabit fiber connection or better required for gaming usage.)

Kind of like mining, but instead, GPU rental for gaming. When/if mining collapses, could be the next big thing.
No Larry. You won't make money from this one. :)

• Haha
Reactions: VirtualLarry

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Anything that can, will, be a service eventually.

I can see NV running a direct sale "upgrade" program similar to EVGA's step up, or even financing GPUs like we might a car.

I can even see streaming becoming a thing if it finally overcomes that "convenience" barrier that pushes it to mass market appeal.

Just because something is better (running games client side) does not mean that is what will win the market if the unwashed masses decide it's good enough for them. It's happened a million times before, and it will happen again.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I can even see streaming becoming a thing if it finally overcomes that "convenience" barrier that pushes it to mass market appeal.

Just because something is better (running games client side) does not mean that is what will win the market if the unwashed masses decide it's good enough for them. It's happened a million times before, and it will happen again.
Here's an idea... in order to reduce the end-to-end latency of game streaming services, maybe they will resort to "decentralized game streaming", where they match gamers using there service up to "game streaming hosts", kind of like airbnb, such that individuals that own GPUs, could effectively rent them out to gamers over their fiber-optic internet connection, more or less in their local neighborhood.

That's a latency-busting, Stadia-beating, business plan right there waiting for someone.

Reactions: CP5670

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
If latency is your bugbear remember that most of these online games need to talk to a server, if the stadia type service and the online game server are in the same physical place (which they probably are for stadia) then you loose all the latency you normally have between the home machine and the game server. So while you have effectively gained in latency between your gaming machine (now in cloud) and your screen, you've lost all the latency between your gaming machine and the online game server.

Having the cloud gaming machine and the server guaranteed so close together means that game devs can do other things not possible today for online multiplayer games:
1) It's not possible to hack a cloud gaming pc in the same way, or steal the game so you can get rid of all the compicated peformance sapping DRM.
2) In addition to above you because it can't be hacked you don't need to assume the client gaming pc is trying to cheat, so you can trust it to do the right thing, so you don't need to do all that work on the server to effectively not let the client cheat (i.e. for games today the server must work out everything because it has to assume it can't trust the client at all).
3) Having 0ms latency between the client and the server with huge lan like bandwidth changes the rules on how devs can write games. They don't need to assume the clients might be trying to communicate with the server down a damp piece of string with low bandwidth and high latencies. That will enable them to make better games with more dynamic enviroments and more complex interactions.

There are actually huge advantages to cloud gaming. It's a more efficient use of resources and power so it's cheaper, and better for the enviroment. It enables better multiplayer games. It works anywhere you have decent internet not just sat infront of your home pc. In the end it's going to take over and all the next gen gamers will love it.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Not directly cloud-gaming related, but Intel appears to be providing development access to their new Xe-HP silicon (42TF), over cloud instances, rather than in the form of actual products to buy. Fancy that.

Is this indeed the future of GPUs, where you won't own them as a consumer, but instead, only get "cloud access"? Scary thought.

Rebel_L

Nov 9, 2009
If latency is your bugbear remember that most of these online games need to talk to a server, if the stadia type service and the online game server are in the same physical place (which they probably are for stadia) then you loose all the latency you normally have between the home machine and the game server. So while you have effectively gained in latency between your gaming machine (now in cloud) and your screen, you've lost all the latency between your gaming machine and the online game server.

Having the cloud gaming machine and the server guaranteed so close together means that game devs can do other things not possible today for online multiplayer games:
1) It's not possible to hack a cloud gaming pc in the same way, or steal the game so you can get rid of all the compicated peformance sapping DRM.
2) In addition to above you because it can't be hacked you don't need to assume the client gaming pc is trying to cheat, so you can trust it to do the right thing, so you don't need to do all that work on the server to effectively not let the client cheat (i.e. for games today the server must work out everything because it has to assume it can't trust the client at all).
3) Having 0ms latency between the client and the server with huge lan like bandwidth changes the rules on how devs can write games. They don't need to assume the clients might be trying to communicate with the server down a damp piece of string with low bandwidth and high latencies. That will enable them to make better games with more dynamic enviroments and more complex interactions.

There are actually huge advantages to cloud gaming. It's a more efficient use of resources and power so it's cheaper, and better for the enviroment. It enables better multiplayer games. It works anywhere you have decent internet not just sat infront of your home pc. In the end it's going to take over and all the next gen gamers will love it.

Can you expand on your number 3 point, I dont have much knowledge regarding the actual design side of games and from what makes sense to me at a glance the player commands would still come down the damp piece of string. What I would have thought would happen is that instead of your local client showing a more accurate position of your own character in relation to the static elements of the environment and slightly out of sync with the moving elements you get positional updates from the server about you would now just be the same out of sync with everything on the screen. The extra input key delay to image would make predicting the position of moving targets no worse than before but making interacting with the more static elements even more difficult than before.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
What I'd tell them isn't allowed to be said in the forum's technical forums. ;)

That being said, am I the only one who can't stand all these various YouTuber's "surprised", "angry", and "deep-thought" faces they all seem to put in their videos to try to get people to watch it?

There's this very useful plugin that is called clickbait remorer!

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Can you expand on your number 3 point, I dont have much knowledge regarding the actual design side of games and from what makes sense to me at a glance the player commands would still come down the damp piece of string. What I would have thought would happen is that instead of your local client showing a more accurate position of your own character in relation to the static elements of the environment and slightly out of sync with the moving elements you get positional updates from the server about you would now just be the same out of sync with everything on the screen. The extra input key delay to image would make predicting the position of moving targets no worse than before but making interacting with the more static elements even more difficult than before.
For example every change to the game world has to be broadcast to every client, if you have to assume low bandwidth then that limits how many changes you can make. So destructable enviroments have to be very simple, if you have amazing bandwidth then you can have a lot more happening and it can be a more realistic.