Hotdogs!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ramma2

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2002
Straight to the grill.

Brats on the otherhand, a nice boil in beer and onions before grilling really adds to the flavour. Then all you have to do is brown up the outsides and eat. Mmmmmmm

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
If you boil them with sauerkraut then I can understand, but boiling and then grilling doesn't make sense.

PELarson

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2001
Originally posted by: PhoenixOrion
Funny discussion between friends yesterday,

I like to boil them first so its well-cooked inside before I put them on the grill and gets rid of some of the grease.

Then I get 2 people to strongly disagree with the main argument that it tastes better if grilled directly.

YOU SADIST!!!

The authoritites should pull your hot dog cooking license! Someone what is the SPCHD phone number.

Grill them or broil them DON'T boil them!;}

Especially if they are Hoffmann's or Meier and Ranz.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Steamed FTW! Use to love Boiled, but after I steamed one I was hooked. I throw 2-3 Nathens in the steamer with enough water so if I forget about them for 30 minutes while doing other things I don't burn the shit out of the pan. You can't overcook them like on the grill. Peeeeerfect every time!

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Originally posted by: DrPizza
The *best* way to cook hotdogs is by electrocuting them. I do this in physics class every year when teaching the differences between parallel and series circuits. The kids always remark about how much better tasting the hot dogs are than when cooked other ways.

(Oh, for what it's worth, it takes roughly 4 times as long to cook 2 hotdogs in series than to cook 2 hotdogs in parallel, as expected. The difference is usually 3 or 4 percent.)

Jacob's Ladder Kabobs!

AbsolutDealage

Platinum Member
Dec 20, 2002
Originally posted by: nkgreen
Originally posted by: jdini76
Originally posted by: Tiamat
huh... ive always just pan seered them and then lowered the heat to medium and rolled them around the pan until they were done.

Same here. I liked grilled better, but who has the time to fire up the grill just for a hotdog?

I guess you own a charcoal grill as a propane or natural gas grill can easily be "fired" up in minutes.

Yeah, I don't particularly care for gas grills.

Lump Charcoal FTW.

Fixed.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I made some smoked hot dogs a week or so back. I got the 1/4 lb dogs, split them in half the long way, filled them with cheddar cheese, then wrapped them in bacon. I put them in the smoker for about 1.5 hours. Yum.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: AbsolutDealage
Originally posted by: jdini76
Originally posted by: Tiamat
huh... ive always just pan seered them and then lowered the heat to medium and rolled them around the pan until they were done.

Same here. I liked grilled better, but who has the time to fire up the grill just for a hotdog?

I guess you own a charcoal grill as a propane or natural gas grill can easily be "fired" up in minutes.

Yeah, I don't particularly care for gas grills.

Lump Charcoal FTW.

Fixed.

I agree lump charcoal is far better. trouble is finding it.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Originally posted by: daveymark
this thread is making me yearn for a wiener in my mouth

I showed this thread to my wife, didnt have the same effect. :(

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
does it make sense to boil anything besides eggs since the hot water causes flavor to leach out?

i mean i guess since hot dogs have that skin to protect them it doesn't really lose much but on the principle i don't like anything boiled.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
I parboil my sausages before grilling them, just so they don't dry out as much.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I've never heard of anyone boiling hotdogs they're going to grill.

They're precooked and edible right out of the package you know?

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I think some people have gotten the cooking method for brats confused with the cooking method for dogs. As others have pointed out, dogs are cooked and edible right out of the package. All you're doing is heating them and imparting a nice grilled taste. Boiling first won't hurt them any, it's just a wasted step.

Now for brats, you want to simmer them slowly to get them cooked through and well heated before grilling.