HOT: Sony f717 $475 + tax out the door! *Confirmed*

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mac

Oct 31, 1999
Has anyone else been able to confirm this? I called the local CC to confirm availability and price. They had it in stock but it was $569.

I've become very skeptical of the "YMMV" deals which surface on this forum. I've learned the hard way that you had better call first because the deal probably isn't available ... except in someone's head.

BTW, thought I would pass on a super deal that I found...it was...uh..
rolleye.gif
.. it was a Plextor DVD burner...Yeah, that's it...It was a Plextor 8X DVD-RW -/+ burner...and it was...uh, uh
rolleye.gif
...it was on the "Clearance" table at the local Staples and it was...uh...uh
rolleye.gif
... marked down to $29.96 with a $50 rebate. Yeah. And, they had a lot of them!...But...YMMV.:D....Yeah, that's the ticket. YMMV. So you had better hurry! Good luck! ;)

"See Spot run. Jump Spot. Jump! :D

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
great deal if you can get it. i got one for that price a month ago from CC using a PM to ritz camera and the $100 sony rebate. now i need to find a deal on mem. sticks. the included 32mb only allows about 16 pics on the full res.

JoeBaD

Banned
May 24, 2000
This evening at Sears, Albany, NY

Camera 474.99
less prime match guarantee -22.50
less special event 10% savings -45.25
subtotal 407.24
sales tax 33.60
out the door 440.84

I think I got the last one though.

thanks for the heads up on this :)

passivex

Sep 23, 2000
Oh My Freakin' God! This is such a hot deal!

I bought this camera about 3 months ago on the $650 (after $100 MIR) deal from Dell.com. Sucks to find out it's now $200 cheaper! But then again, all the pictures I've taken within the 3-month period is worht more than $200.

Great camera. It's hard to find good deals on Memsticks but I found a couple 256MB (2x128) sticks for $69 (fry's, cc).

Anyhow, here's a couple of pics taken from this camera:

Sunset @ Grand Canyon

Dried Leaves

Sunset at Cabrillo National Monument in SD

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
wow nice pictures, did you need a tripod to take those? also, buy.com has the 256 mem stick PRO for about $70-75, but they're out of stock. i think its better to buy 1 stick of 256 PRO instead of 2x128 non pro, especially since the price difference is minimal. but thats just what i think, i'm still using the stock 32mb waiting for buy.com to get some more in.

passivex

Sep 23, 2000
I only found the 256MB pro for around $90 plux tax and shipping. Back then sony had a 20% off accessories deal where you can buy a 256 pro stick for $119 from them - 20% it comes to about 80something bucks, plus shipping + tax = roughly $95. I was in a hurry so I bought the 2x128.

Regarding the pics: thanks. Of course I made only my best pictures to be viewable by the public. And most of the ones in that gallery are not taken using the F717.

Yes I do have a tripod but none of the pics you see were taken with a tripod. Actually the sunset one was taken on a bus while it was moving at roughly 20mph. :) It's amazing. Some other pictures taken while standing still don't even look that sharp. Sometimes you just get lucky.

Dec 4, 2002
Thanks for the heavy sarcasim from some of you ;) This deal is ON, maybe regional? Im in SO Cal, dunno where the other people live that got in on this.

moks78

Lifer
Jan 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Elminster
I work at Circuit City, its not 475 at my store heh but yes it is on clearence
How much is it right now in your store? Hot if this baby is priced as posted in my local CC. Time to upgrade fm my DSC85.:)

sumrtym

Apr 3, 2002
Remember, Buy.com has the 512 MB memory stick pro for just over $150. I personally think that's an even better deal. A while back, I did a pricematch to staples with them, which brought the price to $151. Then, with a $30 off coupon and adding tax, I ended up with it for $131 shipped.

Remember....if for some reason you use the camera for video, it can use the full memory stick to record to (not limited in length by other than how much memory you have).

bentwookie

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2002
Originally posted by: sumrtym
Remember, Buy.com has the 512 MB memory stick pro for just over $150. I personally think that's an even better deal. A while back, I did a pricematch to staples with them, which brought the price to $151. Then, with a $30 off coupon and adding tax, I ended up with it for $131 shipped.

Remember....if for some reason you use the camera for video, it can use the full memory stick to record to (not limited in length by other than how much memory you have).

officemax will have 256mb for $50 next week..+use a coupon.
pic

Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: rdgr8
Originally posted by: Elminster
I work at Circuit City, its not 475 at my store heh but yes it is on clearence
How much is it right now in your store? Hot if this baby is priced as posted in my local CC. Time to upgrade fm my DSC85.:)

I have the S85 as well and am seriously considering upgrading to this 717, but I love my s85.

hytek369

Lifer
Mar 20, 2002
Originally posted by: JoeBaD
This evening at Sears, Albany, NY

Camera 474.99
less prime match guarantee -22.50
less special event 10% savings -45.25
subtotal 407.24
sales tax 33.60
out the door 440.84

I think I got the last one though.

thanks for the heads up on this :)

can you scan me your receipt please?

Toddlizzle

Mar 19, 2003
Originally posted by: DizzyonDeals
I have an F828, pics are bloody awesome! Now I just want the hotshoe flash. The issue with the D Rebel is that you can only use the lcd on back for reviewing the pics, not taking them. I like that part on the sony better. I was getting a D Rebel until I found that out.
That's because the Canon Digital Rebel is a true SLR, mirror, interchangable lenses, etc. If you don't understand the difference, then you don't deserve to own one.

I owned a F717 and it was awesome. I had my heart set on upgrading to the 828 until I saw the pictures and read the horror stories. It is a mess. So I traded it for the Canon Digital Rebel and boy, it is an awesome camera. But the F717 was not the attention-getter that the Canon is, and it would be more convenient in certain situations. I kept all my Sony accessories in the hope that the 828's replacement would be much improved. But I may just pick up another F717 at this price.

Maximus96

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
i've got $10 in my paypal account. are those $10 UV filters on ebay worth it? i'm not familiar with using filters all. also how about those 3 filter sets that includes a UV, FD and polarize filter for around $30?

sumrtym

Apr 3, 2002
That $50 deal is on a 256 MB that doesn't specify pro or not (think pro has a higher transfer rate), and is a lexar. The order of media quality for memory sticks tends to go something like this:

a) Sandisk
b) Sony
c) Lexar

Personally, I'd stick with the Sandisk over Lexar any day of the week, even if it was a bit more.

may

Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: zaku
i've got $10 in my paypal account. are those $10 UV filters on ebay worth it? i'm not familiar with using filters all. also how about those 3 filter sets that includes a UV, FD and polarize filter for around $30?

UV filter protects your lens from accident damage and dirty environment. Polarizer is necessary if you shoot in place with large dynamic range, reflection of waters, and etc. You could not completely simulate the effect of polarizer in Photoshop. For many other filter, you can simulate them by photoshop.