Hot or not? PCMCIA USB 2.0 Adapter - $49.00

lankia

Nov 29, 2000
At $49.00, is this hot for a PCMCIA USB 2.0 adapter? I called the CSR to ask for the manufacturer of the card. Supposedly it's by EMAGIC, using NEC chipset.

-lankia

superfire911

Feb 3, 2001
I bought my BUSLink USB 2.0 PCMCIA card from Bestbuy. it was kind of expensive but it does the work very well. It is good for the travelers who own a laptop but do not have USB 2.0 port built-in.

Tot

Jan 24, 2000
Hmm, I bought the buslink usb2.0 from memoryonly.com like two months ago for 59 shipped. And so far I dont really know how well it works coz I dont have 2.0 device yet. Waiting for a hot deal for 2.0 devices.!!!!

Anyway the pcmcia card I bought have 4 X2.O usb ports. Thats all I can provide to help you decide how hot your deal is.
Your card appears to have only 2 ports so you decide. And for your benefit, this place also conduct auction a ubid follow the link at the bottom of their homepage and you should be able to see their auction.

Later.linkified

lankia

Nov 29, 2000
Tot, thanks for the link. The price has lowered since your purchase. It's $49.00 for 4-ports as opposed to the one I posted, $49 for 2-ports. Too bad you haven't had a chance to try it out and hence can't discuss its performance. But thanks for the linky.

Superfire11, how many ports is yours and how much did you pay for it??

-lankia

chjode

Jan 22, 2002
Good question-- what is the maximum transfer speed on a PCMCIA/Cardbus/PC Card connection?

Nefrodite

Banned
Feb 15, 2001
usb controllers don't shoulder burden like firewire right? i dunno, if so they shouldn't cost much..:p

superfire911

Feb 3, 2001

<< Tot, thanks for the link. The price has lowered since your purchase. It's $49.00 for 4-ports as opposed to the one I posted, $49 for 2-ports. Too bad you haven't had a chance to try it out and hence can't discuss its performance. But thanks for the linky.

Superfire11, how many ports is yours and how much did you pay for it??

-lankia
>>

Mine is exactly same as Tot. 4 ports in the same card. I was stupid (i know.. i know) and I paid 59 bucks to BestBuy local store in LA area. I also bought BUSLink USB 2.0 CDRW 32x/10x/40x (I THINK. but at least i know it is 32x write). 700m CD takes 4 mins from the beginning til the end. I am impressive. It cost 199.xx. No rebate whatsoever. The next week after I purchased, they dropped price to 179.xx and with $20 MIR. I went back to best buy and did a price adjustment. but they could not print out the rebate form so they took additional 20 bucks off from my cc. total price without rebate needed, it costs me 159.xx. I think it is a hot deal for a 32x USB 2.0 external CDRW.

superfire911

Feb 3, 2001

<< The IBM Firewire notebook card is a better deal, IMHO, especially if you have a digital camcorder. Geeks has it for $26.
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=IBM1394
>>

I bought this IBM Firewire too. It was almost few months ago when they had a deal posted in AT. I got it 29 bucks w/o shipping cost. I do not have any firewire devices so i cannot test it. Not sure how good it is.