Hot or not? Asus A7N266-VM AA $71.99 shipped

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KMHPaladin

Jan 23, 2002
Just thought I'd add my name to the list of people who've used this mobo without a hitch. I put together a computer for my dad for Christmas, and this motherboard made it a cinch. I think the hardest part was getting the mobo screwed in right, to be honest (stupid risers) - the built-in sound, video, and LAN make setup really painless. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for an inexpensive motherboard, and even if you're looking for a stronger machine, you can just add a real graphics card. The only drawbacks are the two memory slots and the 3 PCI slots, but as someone mentioned, you have onboard sound and network so that's not as huge a deal. They also have some nice little accessories, including the audio board mentioned above.

ShowdOWN

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2002
im glad to hear that all of you are having such great stability with this board. i will be buying it tomorrow when i decide on the rest of the parts.

John P

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Aww, what they hey, I'll jump in too.

I built my parents a new puter for XMas also with this board, the office depot $30 30GB HD and $45 Antec SLK2600AMB and $19 AR 256mb RAM. Nice little machine with a good upgrade possiblities. No problems setting it up.

BTSpope

Feb 3, 2003
if your into micro-atx boards, newegg also has the biostar m7vig for 60 bucks shipped....it doesnt have as good an onboard vid card, but it does have ata 133, usb 2.0, and sdr/ddr switchability. I just built a thoroughbred 1800 system around it and the sucka is fast and stable

FordLorider

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
$40 for a refurb on this board would be unbelievable. I would not need the I/O Plate for my briefcase computer plans (need everything onboard, using cards make it too tall :) ).

vladgur

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2000
not a hot price. Newegg regularly slashes the price down to $69.99. In fact I got 2 of these boards refurbed for less than $50

mplogic

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2002
I just ordered a full retail one from newegg today for $69 shipped with some sort of free Asus book (probably just an ad).

Didn't see any refurbs available.

This is the only AMD mATX board I could find that will fit in some of the mini cases out there that have the cd-rom laying sideways next to (or over) the motherboard. The processor slot is back toward the connectors so there should be plenty of room using a full size hs/fan cooler with it. On other boards the cooler hits the cdrom.

HiHoStevo

Dec 19, 2001
Infos... I tried your link, but it appears to be dead. bummer...

I am trying to upgrade a couple of computers I bought on sale at Fry's. I got them for the grandkid's, but even for them they are anemic... they currently have the Samuel2 chipset with a C3 733 Mhz SOLDERED to the motherboard! So there is no way to simply upgrade the processor. They are the "Great Quality" computer from Fry's and the tech boys tell me that only a Micro Atx AMD motherboard is going to fit properly inside the case.

I found an FIC AT31 motherboard at Fry's that they will sell me along with an OEM AMD 1800+ for $97, plus tax of course as it is local.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated!

NewEgg's current price on the Asus A7N 266 is $71

Thanks,

Steve

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
The FIC AT31 is an unusual product, using the ATI motherboard chipset that we've heard very little about. Specs

Being conservative, I'd lean toward the A7N266-VM although it does cost more. The high-performance onboard audio processor is one hidden perk.

In your case (no pun intended), I'm a little worried that the system may have an anemic power supply that won't be suitable for powering an AthlonXP system. The AthlonXP is going to draw more power than the C3 733, by a long shot. Can you spot some specs on the PSU's label, perhaps? The popular Shuttle cubes are using 200-220W PSU's and that's probably a unit especially built for the purpose... generally you'd want a quality-name 300W+ unit if building from scratch.

HiHoStevo

Dec 19, 2001
generally you'd want a quality-name 300W+ unit if building from scratch.

Unfortunately, my plan was just to make these computers more useful. It may turn out that the cost of upgrading is more than it is worth.

The tag on the back says they arre Behavior Tech Model 12-SS-M786, no other information is found. The owner's manuals have gone missing.... (I hate losing stuff)... as the house is currently torn up with my last daughter moving out.

The Tech's at Fry's say that due to the position of the hard drive cage that the only motherboard option is an AMD Micro ATX. Apparently the hard drive cage gets in the way of the cpu fan on anything else. They say the power supply is either a 150 or 180 watt unit (real weak), but apparently enough for the current set up... (Samuel2 chipset with C3 cpu at 733Mhz, CD player, 30Gig HD, + Floppy).

If I have to buy a new power supply as well, I should probably just consider not bothering. At that rate it would probably cost as much just to buy a new case and power supply that would handle a standard ATX board.

Originally I was just going to bump up the processor... the Samuel2 chipset should be able to handle a Celeron 1.7 gig, but the manufactuer bought a motherboard with the cpu soldered onto it.... lovely...., but I suppose that is what you get when you are trolling the bottom.

Steve

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Steve, the one reasonably economical thing you can do is to make sure the systems have enough RAM that they don't have to resort to using hard-drive space as "overflow" area. For WindowsXP, which I expect is what these came with, 384Mb to 512Mb would be sensible. So if the systems came with 128Mb, for instance, throw another 256Mb in there and you'll probably notice a significant improvement.

HiHoStevo

Dec 19, 2001
Yes, the computer came with 128 and was running Linux. I put in another 256 immediately to bring it up to 384 and installed XP.

It probably would have operated faster with Linux, but for a computer for the grandkid's I did not want to take the time to learn a new OS and hunt around for some educational games and stuff for the kids.

I was hoping for a quick and cheap speed boost (as you can get a 1.7gig Celeron for about $40), but hit a major bump when I found the cpu soldered to the motherboard. I just cannot believe the 10cents they saved by not putting a socket in could bolster their bottom line that much.

Steve