Hot new sports sedan from...Kia?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HitAnyKey

Oct 4, 2013
Is this Genesis replacement?

Not a bad looking car, inside and out. The rear lights remind me of the Charger. The AWD option is a good one.

However, it needs a big thirsty V8 and a trunk to hold my interest. The power output seems a bit low for this segment.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Is this Genesis replacement?

Not a bad looking car, inside and out. The rear lights remind me of the Charger. The AWD option is a good one.

However, it needs a big thirsty V8 and a trunk to hold my interest. The power output seems a bit low for this segment.

It's Kia's genesis counterpart a la sonata/optima with less content for less $.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Why did they wreck the Stinger concept? :(

bl2wzmd7iffhtifp3zll.jpg

Where did the extra doors come from??

2018-Kia-Stinger-125.jpg

Looks like they took an Optoma and smashed it flat like a bug...

2018-Kia-Stinger-110.jpg

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Those HVAC vents remind me of something...

2018-Kia-Stinger-151.jpg

Oh, right:

Bender-Face-iPhone-3Wallpapers-Parallax.jpg

Reactions: jlee

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Hmm...

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/06/28/kias-quickest-cruiser-2018-stinger-gt-first-drive-nurburgring/

Autoblog says it can do 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds. Also AWD is an option. Due out this October (note to self: never buy first-generation).

One thing I notice is conflicting impressions of the boost: At times it seemingly comes on immediately, and others there's noticeable lag. Because everything is happening so fast out on the notoriously tricky 'Ring, I'm not really able to suss out why. We'll need more time in the car to figure that out.

And while the first go was in the AWD Stinger, lap two found us in the rear-wheel drive model. While AWD can send up to 50 percent of power up to the front axle if needed via an electronically-controlled clutch, the RWD employs a limited-slip differential on the rear axle, and can shift power between the wheels via brake-torque vectoring.

With a faint acquaintance of the track, we were able to more confidently enter the famous Carousel, and take a few of the turns with a little more confidence. While both models were quite capable, the rear-driver was, as you might expect, a little more fun, and the one we'd want. But if your driving conditions require both axles engaged, you'll still be getting a very fun driver.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
from the side kinda looks like a jaguar.

i hate air extractors. so ugly. there's only a few cars where they're well done and this ain't one.

Agreed. I don't like them on anything but a few sports cars with flagrant styling. I do not like them on the various BMW's that have them (4 series , X5, etc). For some reason it looks mor appropriate on M4. Not a deal breaker...just looks like tacked on styling and makes things busy. If truly functional, I'd prefer it to be more discrete looking.

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I'll summarize the future final real world assessment of the car.
Like just about every Hyundai and Kia on the market for decades, a feature packed styling exercise with vague, lifeless steering and an uncomposed suspension on real roads, will delight buyers who are really just A - B appliance type people at heart.

Not saying its a bad car. Just saying they have a different definition of "sorted"
You nailed it.