*Hot* - Maxtor 120GB 5400RPM External @ Staples: $97.50, $77.50 AR, possibly less

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Doraemon

Jan 2, 2001
Questions:

The rebateHQ link provided indicate there's a rebate, but where is the rebate form? I tried Maxtor's site, can't find it.

Also, if the $30 off 100 doesn't work, how would it be $50 AR? shouldn't it be 97.50 - 20mir - 20 coupon (assume using $20 off 100) = 57.50 before tax?

Thanks.

Schmo

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Doraemon
Questions:

The rebateHQ link provided indicate there's a rebate, but where is the rebate form? I tried Maxtor's site, can't find it.

Also, if the $30 off 100 doesn't work, how would it be $50 AR? shouldn't it be 97.50 - 20mir - 20 coupon (assume using $20 off 100) = 57.50 before tax?

Thanks.

RebatesHQ is the processing center for many rebates. If they say there is a rebate, it is usually good.

You are correct... if you can't get the 30 off 100 to work, it would be about 60 dollars. Some people have had luck getting staples to take the 30 dollar online coupon.. others have not.

nigm

Dec 23, 2000
anyone kno where i can get the $30 of $100 or $20 of $100 printable coupan?????

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

I got the last one in montclair.

Does anyone know if you can take the hd out of the enclosure? I don't really give a sh*t that it's external, I just need another 120 GB.

I really need to stop buying all this stuff, I don't have the time to setup all the stuff. :p

JDorn

Mar 1, 2000
Man the only Staples within 50 miles of here didn't have them and the place on the shelf where they go was still marked over $200 bucks, was this a deal that wasn't effective at all Staples?

JD

dethman

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Schmo
Originally posted by: render
I got one after going through 4 stores in NY. Well, it's worth the trip.

Agreed! Same here, went through about 4 of them here in Atlanta. I got lucky with the first one but I wanted to get one for my father so I tried 3 others. Nonetheless, he found one in PA for him so it all worked out. ;)

haha getting your father in on it too. where in PA? i don't want to have to go anywhere i don't want to.

MuffD

Diamond Member
May 31, 2000
Those that want to remove the drive, you need to remove the red side panels with a flat head screwdriver that you insert on the top part of the enclosure. There are like little slots there where you can pop them off.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: nigm
anyone kno where i can get the $30 of $100 or $20 of $100 printable coupan?????

AFAIK, there are none. People are just getting lucky using online coupons with a cashier who doesn't give a crap. I used a 30/150 printable and bought a CDRW drive also.

My total was 160 before tax -30 C -30 R -20 R ~ 80 bux for a 120 GB hd and a 40x CDRW? I guess that's pretty decent.

Branded

Aug 10, 2000
Nobody seems to answering about how they got these phantom coupons, so I assume they are modified online coupons. I wish people would not brag about fraud.

ItsADisease

Dec 9, 2001
Yeah I checked with a few people and a couple of other sites there is no $30 coupon off $100 there is one that is off $150 and another one that is expired thats $20 off $100 that some staples are accepting. Also there is the $20 maxtor mail in rebate.
Hope that helps

Schmo

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Branded
Nobody seems to answering about how they got these phantom coupons, so I assume they are modified online coupons. I wish people would not brag about fraud.

Who said anything about fraud?!? I don't think anyone modified anything.... some people are just getting lucky that the cashier is either taking the online coupon codes (which they can and sometime have done) or they are accepting an expired coupon. Neither of which are fraud, if that particular Staples accepts it, that is their choice.

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Schmo

Who said anything about fraud?!? I don't think anyone modified anything.... some people are just getting lucky that the cashier is either taking the online coupon codes (which they can and sometime have done) or they are accepting an expired coupon. Neither of which are fraud, if that particular Staples accepts it, that is their choice.

In store coupon use has no dollar amount specified...only valid coupon codes. Therfore you can modify a 10 off 100 coupon to read as 10 off anything....the register will let it through. Its not until the audit process much later where this will be found. Online/phone coupon use must pass an purchase amount check first before it is allowed.

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
I should also note that the same 10 off 100 coupon can then be modified even to a 100 of 100....obviously this will draw some heat. So, therefore...basically these people are modifying coupons based on some valid coupon code....just with fradulent coupon amounts.

Branded

Aug 10, 2000
I get the picture. People are using current online codes to modify expired email coupons. I just don't think people should be bragging about fraud. It generates a lot of needless posts of 'where can I find this coupon'. Plus, it is not a deal that everyone can use. Only the fraudulently inclined.

markwilson

Nov 3, 2002
Alright the store I called said they wouldn't accept a coupon code. Is there actually a printable coupon I can get over the net or what? Lots of people have been asking this and no one that got this deal has said a thing. Please enlighten the ignorant.

Thanks

Tarobap

Apr 24, 2000
Picked up the last one at Willow Grove Staples in North Philly (actually Jenkintown) . . . had to call like five staples stores before I found it . . .

Schmo

Oct 9, 1999
I get the picture. People are using current online codes to modify expired email coupons. I just don't think people should be bragging about fraud. It generates a lot of needless posts of 'where can I find this coupon'. Plus, it is not a deal that everyone can use. Only the fraudulently inclined.

Ok.... so a code can be modified and accepted BUT who said anyone was doing it? I am certainly not modifying codes and I don't think anyone else is either. ONe person said that the guy took the online code of 30 off 100 which does exist... that is not fraud.... another peron had the person take an expired 20 dollar off 100 printable coupon. Neither of these two things are fraud. Stupidy, maybe but the Staples employee, but not fraud. ;)

Just because you CAN modify a coupon doesn't mean we are doing it.... I can jump off a bridge but I choose not too. :p

All I am saying is that I think most (if not all people) in this thread are obeying the laws and just encounterins some cashiers or the like that are a little more accepting.

Anyway, enough of this.... this is one heck of a killer deal at 100 dollars, if you can get another discount (legally) and we get the rebate... it just makes it sweeter. :)

Schmo

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: markwilson
Alright the store I called said they wouldn't accept a coupon code. Is there actually a printable coupon I can get over the net or what? Lots of people have been asking this and no one that got this deal has said a thing. Please enlighten the ignorant.

Thanks

There *IS* a valid, printable 30 off 150 coupon available. It can be found at another site similar to this one by searching for "staples coupon". There is also a 20 of 100 printable coupon but it expired on the 31st although there have been reports that some Staples took in anyway. (although knowingly trying to get away with it is a little deceiving... but not illegal.. no more than the price that we are "stealing" this hard drive for. ;)

Apr 5, 2000
Changed the thread title and listing to reflect the coupon code stuff. There aren't any 5 digit regularly circulated coupons like that but there are 16 digit ones sent to particular Business Reward members, sorry for the confusion.

I'm not advocating faking coupons - I've been b1tched out at by stupid @-holes who do fake the coupons and insist they are real when they try to slip them by me - if there is a valid coupon or you do have a valid coupon then it'll be a better deal for you.

BTW, STOP ASKING FOR OR WHERE YOU CAN GET COUPON CODES AT!!!!!

Read this thread from the AT Moderator

Doomguy

Platinum Member
May 28, 2000
You work at Staples too, RagingBITCH? I've known about this deal for a few days before it was posted here, but I'd rather have Staples employees discover the deal then post it here and have everyone resell them. Check Ebay, there's 8x the usual amount of 3000le drives already.

Snyder81

Jan 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Doomguy
You work at Staples too, RagingBITCH? I've known about this deal for a few days before it was posted here, but I'd rather have Staples employees discover the deal then post it here and have everyone resell them. Check Ebay, there's 8x the usual amount of 3000le drives already.

Doomguy, you're our new source for Staples deals!!! 3 cheers for Doomguy!!!!

BTW, I was able to use the $30 off $100 code in the store too. I told them I had a coupon code to use and asked if it would just be easier to use it at the in-store kiosk and they said, "No, we'll just take care of it here at the register". I would hardly consider that fraud. Get a grip guys, some of you are losing it!

Tri

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: muffstah
Those that want to remove the drive, you need to remove the red side panels with a flat head screwdriver that you insert on the top part of the enclosure. There are like little slots there where you can pop them off.

I assume you mean the little slots at the rear of the drive? (by the power and USB jacks). Thats the only place I see slots... Just want to be sure before I go hacking in with a screwdriver.