HOT! Imation DVD +/- R 100 for $69.67 + TAX at Office Depot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

emb09

Oct 2, 2003
i stay away from imation because if you have any coasters (about 2 for every 50) you have to ship them to imation at your cost to have them replaced. Fuji and Memorex have better replacement policies in my experience.

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
Got in on the +R's. $74.xx with tax!! What a deal!! Thanks!!

FWIW.. FYI.. The links at Techbargains and Ebates aren't working. I had to pull a code from the Grande' Wallet forums. Just run a search for Office Depot and you'll find the coupon thread for a $25 off $75 coupon.

Also.. The deal is dead online for me. I HAD to choose in-store pick up because it wasn't adding it to my cart otherwise. Insufficient stock for online ordering. You guys probably knew that though.

Sal

iluvdeal

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
Originally posted by: emb09
i stay away from imation because if you have any coasters (about 2 for every 50) you have to ship them to imation at your cost to have them replaced. Fuji and Memorex have better replacement policies in my experience.

I burned 3 Memorex DVD+R coasters last night testing out my DVD Writer. I didn't know they had such a policy as I never bothered to replace a CDR since they were so cheap. At $1 a pop though, I'm interested in getting replacement DVD+R discs. What's the procedure and how long does it take to get a replacement?

neovan

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
i added 4 to my cart and the total came out to $123.94 including tax for the DVD+R. going to pick it up in about half hour.

Richard98

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: iluvdeal
Originally posted by: emb09

I burned 3 Memorex DVD+R coasters last night testing out my DVD Writer. I didn't know they had such a policy as I never bothered to replace a CDR since they were so cheap. At $1 a pop though, I'm interested in getting replacement DVD+R discs. What's the procedure and how long does it take to get a replacement?

I had some crappy Imation -RW discs several months ago. I returned 2 of them to the address on the jewel case with a brief note about how dissappointed I was in their quality. They sent me back 2 repacements, probably in about a month.

neovan

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
I found this strange but when I added 3 to my cart the total came to $75.41 including CA sales tax. That makes it $25 each. So I guess I just picked up 3 more. My other order came to about $31 each (previous post).

cruzer

Dec 30, 2001
This is the DVDINFO display when I place a blank in my Plextor 708A, note the "8X". Thanks to OP.

Media Information
Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID RICOHJPNR01
Format Capacity Not Formatted
Free Blocks 405405696
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
Book Type DVD+R
Media Type DVD+R
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
Linear Density Blank Disc
Track Density Unknown
Number of Layers 1

dongrussell

Apr 11, 2003
Worked yesterday in Houston. Placed order for in-store pickup, got them at noon for $75.42 including tax. They have the 4X sticker! Thanks, OP!
Also went by OM, got the HP 25-pack of DVD+R (2.4X) for $9.99 AR. Should be enough for a while.

Richard98

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: pxc
Do RICOH 4x DVD+Rs burn reliably at 8x? I have a LiteOn 811S that I haven't opened yet. The 411s->811s hack threads I've seen mostly have results for RICOH 4x discs, but I don't know if the 8x speed was forced or not.

I burned one at 8X with the rebadged Lite-On 851 that I picked up at office max. I've read that the 811S drives burn the Ricoh discs at 8X with no problems. The 851 drives will not burn the 4X Ricoh discs at 8X out of the box. There is a firmware hack to fix the 851 drives:
Text
After applying this change to the firmware, Nero burned the disc at 8X (about 8 1/2 minutes) and verified as error free.

pxc

Platinum Member
May 2, 2002
Originally posted by: Richard98
After applying this change to the firmware, Nero burned the disc at 8X (about 8 1/2 minutes) and verified as error free.
Thanks for the tip. Hopefully Lite-On will add faster media compatibility with future firmware updates directly.

quincy2002

Oct 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Richard98
Do RICOH 4x DVD+Rs burn reliably at 8x? I have a LiteOn 811S that I haven't opened yet. The 411s->811s hack threads I've seen mostly have results for RICOH 4x discs, but I don't know if the 8x speed was forced or not.

I burned one at 8X with the rebadged Lite-On 851 that I picked up at office max. I've read that the 811S drives burn the Ricoh discs at 8X with no problems. The 851 drives will not burn the 4X Ricoh discs at 8X out of the box. There is a firmware hack to fix the 851 drives:
Text
I have burned 2 so far at 8x on my new $80 lite-on 811s:)

Pinan

Mar 30, 2003

Text
Could you elaborate on this a bit please? Where does one get the .bin file. Can you map this out for us? I have an 811 and a 851.

"To patch the mentioned media to 8x you only have to ...
1. Get a LDW851s GS08 .bin file, the following addresses are valid only for this firmware and the 1 MB .bin file.
2. At address $c0000 you will find many DVD+R media codes. If you do not see them, just stop here.
2. To burn MCC02 disks @8x change $C00B3 from $06 to $1e.
3. To burn RICOHJPNR01 disks @8x (I think your "RICOHJPBR01" is just a typo) change $C0135 from $06 to $1e.
4. Make shure that you only changed this two bytes by comparing the patched .bin file with the original, e.g. using the command line tool "fc".
5. Get the "flash tool" here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=83441
6. Back up your current firmware.
7. Flash the patched firmware.
8. Post your results and have fun."

Richard98

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Pinan

Text
Could you elaborate on this a bit please? Where does one get the .bin file. Can you map this out for us? I have an 811 and a 851.

"To patch the mentioned media to 8x you only have to ...
1. Get a LDW851s GS08 .bin file, the following addresses are valid only for this firmware and the 1 MB .bin file.
2. At address $c0000 you will find many DVD+R media codes. If you do not see them, just stop here.
2. To burn MCC02 disks @8x change $C00B3 from $06 to $1e.
3. To burn RICOHJPNR01 disks @8x (I think your "RICOHJPBR01" is just a typo) change $C0135 from $06 to $1e.
4. Make shure that you only changed this two bytes by comparing the patched .bin file with the original, e.g. using the command line tool "fc".
5. Get the "flash tool" here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=83441
6. Back up your current firmware.
7. Flash the patched firmware.
8. Post your results and have fun."

I
1)upgraded my firmware to Gs08 - downloaded the file from Lite-on
2)Backed up the firmware using LtnFw from here
3)Used a hex editor that I found on Google to change the .bin file for the ricohjpn discs
4)Saved the revised firmware with a new name, in case I screwed up something.
5)Flashed the drive using LtnFW (#2 above)

If you want a copy of the revised firmware file, send me an email. My email address is in my profile (click on the drop down Message Options tab next to this message)

SimMike2

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2000
In Seattle, just got Ritek G03 2X in the Imation deal. For 75 cents per disk, I am satisifed with 2X speed.

It came in two boxes, each containing two 25 disk spindles. I just sold one of the spindles to my brother for $20, so after tax and a little bit from Ebates, my final cost for 75 disks is about $53.50, or 71 cents per disk.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Originally posted by: alm99
Whats more compatible with DVD players, the DVD-R or DVD+R?

They're almost equal in compatibility with -R having a slight edge. In very old dvd-players -R works better. If you have a drive that allows you to change the book-type, then +R's can be made to be seen as DVD-Rom's which will play on any player.

JameyF

Oct 5, 2001
Originally posted by: soundforbjt

They're almost equal in compatibility with -R having a slight edge. In very old dvd-players -R works better. If you have a drive that allows you to change the book-type, then +R's can be made to be seen as DVD-Rom's which will play on any player.

I'd like more info on that. You got a link?

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: JameyF
Originally posted by: soundforbjt

I'd like more info on that. You got a link?

DVD-R's work in Playstation 2's.

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
This is the DVDINFO display when I place a blank in my Plextor 708A, note the "8X". Thanks to OP.
I've got the rebadged Plextor (TDK 840G) running the Plextor 8x firmware. I did the dvdinfo and my discs came up as Ricoh and it also says 8x burn speed. Actually, I'm burning my first disc right now at 8x supposedly, but it seems slower than the 2.4x media that I was using in a 4x drive. Why would this thing be burning so slow? It just took me 38 minutes to burn a disc. I haven't burned one for a few weeks (with another burner) and I seem to recall that it took me about 24 minutes with a 4x burner burning 2.4x media.

How long should it take to burn a disc at 8x?

Sal