Hot deal on an EVGA GTX480 - $210 FS at Newegg

hyrule4927

Feb 9, 2012
Question for anyone folding on a GTX480. How much CPU does the GPU client use up when folding with one of these? Folding with my 6850 uses up a whole logical core, completely crippling my CPU folding with my old dual core when I try to fold on my CPU and GPU at the same time. Meanwhile, the 460M in my laptop uses about 0.5% CPU, with the GPU and CPU both folding happily (I know I'm comparing CPU's with 4 and 8 logical cores, but that doesn't account for the difference between 25% and 0.5% CPU use).

Anyway, thinking about swapping the 6850 for a 480 next time a good deal pops up. I know that Nvidia cards tend to use less CPU than ATI cards when folding and have seen this demonstrated with my two computers, but I've also heard that the higher powered Nvidia cards can still be CPU hogs. Would I be able to run the SMP client at full capacity alongside the GPU client, or would a 480 be processor-hungry like my 6850?

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
Question for anyone folding on a GTX480. How much CPU does the GPU client use up when folding with one of these? Folding with my 6850 uses up a whole logical core, completely crippling my CPU folding with my old dual core when I try to fold on my CPU and GPU at the same time. Meanwhile, the 460M in my laptop uses about 0.5% CPU, with the GPU and CPU both folding happily (I know I'm comparing CPU's with 4 and 8 logical cores, but that doesn't account for the difference between 25% and 0.5% CPU use).

Anyway, thinking about swapping the 6850 for a 480 next time a good deal pops up. I know that Nvidia cards tend to use less CPU than ATI cards when folding and have seen this demonstrated with my two computers, but I've also heard that the higher powered Nvidia cards can still be CPU hogs. Would I be able to run the SMP client at full capacity alongside the GPU client, or would a 480 be processor-hungry like my 6850?

A 480 will use more power than a 580 and not get much more PPD than a 560ti..

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/04/26/best-graphics-card-for-folding/3

I don't show any CPU usages with my Nvidia folders, but they will make the desktop stutter if you are running Aero ...

SMP shouldn't suffer at all ..