Hot $10 deal! Sins of a Solar Empire complete collection for $10 this weekend!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 30, 2004
I bought this game for the $10, however I cannot find any campaign mode whatsoever. This game doesn't have one or am I just missing something...

It's like Civilization and Alpha Centauri. The story is--conquer your opponents. The enjoyment of the game is supposed to come from the strategic and tactical aspects of it and not the story.

Glayde

Sep 30, 2004
I picked this up last week to give it a try. I'm a big fan of Homeworld 2. I had gotten the Sword of the Stars stuff when it was $5 recently but my gf tried it first, and after watching her play, I didn't even bother to try it. (I didn't like how you only had a few ships in combat at once)

Sins does let you have large (larger than hw2) fleet battles, and the planet building stuff isn't too bad. One thing I don't like compared to hw2, battles are way too long. It takes forever for any ships to kill other ships.

I had a large scale fleet action against a computer opponent and the battle literally lasted 30minutes.

Oct 30, 2004
Sins does let you have large (larger than hw2) fleet battles, and the planet building stuff isn't too bad. One thing I don't like compared to hw2, battles are way too long. It takes forever for any ships to kill other ships.

Try selecting all of your ships and ordering them to focus fire on the enemy ships one by one. You can queue up the orders by holding down <SHIFT>, clicking on an enemy unit, pressing the Attack button, and then by selecting the next enemy unit (while holding down <SHIFT>) and ordering an attack, etc. This way your ships will focus fire on them one-by-one. I often do this using the Empire tree.

One thing you need to understand is how Shield Mitigation works. Having your ships attack the enemy ships 1-to-1 isn't very effective because all ships slowly repair themselves and as they take more damage the shields become increasingly effective (shield mitigation). It's really better to take them down one at a time since you remove an enemy gun faster that way.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
time to try another round...last time the computer built a ton of the basic assault frigates and just rolled my army.

goddamn this game is hard :(

booya i finally won on a 9planet map. i have no idea WHY i won though :(

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2004
time to try another round...last time the computer built a ton of the basic assault frigates and just rolled my army.

goddamn this game is hard :(

booya i finally won on a 9planet map. i have no idea WHY i won though :(

What version are you playing? Try to play with just 1 or 2 cap ships (until later game) and spam out your own long range frigates and some flaks. If you're playing Entrenchment or Diplomacy, just let the computer suicide on starbases.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
What version are you playing? Try to play with just 1 or 2 cap ships (until later game) and spam out your own long range frigates and some flaks. If you're playing Entrenchment or Diplomacy, just let the computer suicide on starbases.

just regular sins. my first few games i tried building more capital ships but this time i went with lots of basic frigates and the fleet frigates (which give you fighters). the fighters seem to kick major ass, and they let me catch scouts.

the computer decided to attack me like 10 minutes into the game, but my fleet was superior. i won, and then just kept chasing the computer down the rest of the time.

i'm guessing warp inhibitors are good tech to get? chasing people is a PITA sometimes.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Played a littlee bit. Feels like SC in space. Did notice that ships seem to stay alice for quite some time, and I'm speaking of when you have like 8 frigates and a capitol ship hitting on 4 frigates.