Hosting two websites with different domans from one server

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Lets say I want to host two different websites www.sitea.com and www.siteb.com from a single windows 2003 server with a single static IP address. Is this possible?

Is it done with ports, for example setting up www.sitea.com to go to 24.210.x.x:80 and www.siteb.com to go to 24.210.x.x:8080?

Or is it more advanced like setting up a DNS server on the Windows 2003 box? Does Win 2003 have that feature by default?

Thanks for any help!

netsysadmin

Feb 17, 2002
Its not done with port or DNS. You actually have to setup host headers in IIS. Search for host headers to find some setup instructions.

John

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Originally posted by: ScottSwingleComputers
So for the host header, I just put in the www.sitea.com, and the server takes care of the rest?
Normally, folks use Host Headers. We host ten different web sites from our office SBS 2003 server. You can also use ISA 2004 to publish multiple web sites securely. The technique used is different from Host Headers.

EACH web site has to have one unique property of these three properties:
Host Header
Port
IP Address

So, you can either change the Host Header, change the Port (port 81 instead of 80), or put in another NIC on a different IP address. You can add a Host Header by entering the "Properties" panel of the site's new Virtual Web Server that you've created.

Note that Host Headers probably won't work if you use dynamic DNS services. At least, I've never gotten it to work when I've played with DDNS.

netsysadmin

Feb 17, 2002
RebateMonger...I have had no issues running host headers with a dynamic IP. I use zonedit.com for my DNS. Right now I am running 3 different sites plus one sub-domain with no problemas at all.

John

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Originally posted by: netsysadmin
RebateMonger...I have had no issues running host headers with a dynamic IP. I use zonedit.com for my DNS. Right now I am running 3 different sites plus one sub-domain with no problemas at all.
Hmmmm....I use Zoneedit, but I wasn't for this domain. I was using no-ip.org for the DDNS, and I couldn't figure out a way to get it to pass Host Header Names. But I didn't spend a lot of time on it. Thanks.