Hosting my first Lan Party, need suggestions for Games

stoneysilence

Mar 3, 2007
Hey all, I want your expert gaming advice. I am the president of my colleges computer club and we want to host our first lan party at the college in about 2.5 weeks. So I am looking for suggestions for a FPS and a RTS that we can host as a tournament.

There are two requirements:
It has to be $20 or less to purchase.
It has to be able to be run on laptops decently since a lot of students will probably be on laptops so having lower system requirements would be good.

So far I have looked at America's Army (Free) and F.E.A.R. (Multiplayer is Free) for FPS. FEAR I think might be too graphically intense (haven't run it, just finished installation as I type this). Oh and I already looked at OpenArena (Quake 3 engine I believe but looks like Q2 to me). Bit old but it's ok looking.

I liked AA but as usual I suck at FPS so what do I know.

As for the RTS side, I was thinking C&C1, WarCraft 2, Starcraft as possibles. Although C&C1/WC2 are a bit too old. Any other ideas?

EDIT: I have since gotten suggestions for Tribes 1/2, Rise of Nations, Empire Earth 1/2, Red Alert 2, Call of Duty. Been busy trying to download Demo's of them all so I can try them out. Prefer free games so I can really try them out. (I am broke)

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
Counter Strike Source.

1. Make sure everyone is legit. If no legit, no play. Sick of the Asian bastards taking 4 hours to setup a LAN party and then going to some cracked 1.6 that doesn't work on half the PCs.
2. If you find a cheater, have six guys swarm him, lift him above your heads, take his computer outside into the parking lot and throw it down with a velocity greater than 10 m/s.
3. Make a video and post on youtube. THIS PORTION IS CRUCIAL!!!
4. Profit.

drinkmorejava

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
use CS 1.5, trust me, it's much easier than dealing with half the people who have a cracked version of 1.6, but I hate the game anyway so w/e
Tribes I is always fun, and free
Battlefield 1942 and/or desert combat, Battlefield II might be too demanding
Mechwarrior 3 or 4 for those who like the game

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Toastedlightly
Starcraft...
:thumbsup:

I'm pretty good at SC. Lan parties are always fun. I have to keep changing my profile name or else people stop playing with me :)