Hostility in the GPU Space?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
I find it interesting that Nvidia just hard launched set of laptop gpu's which basically double performance over previous gen, which I would say is pretty big deal and there's not one mention of it anywhere I can see.

Is that because this forum basically exists to argue, and since AMD isn't in that space there's simply nothing to argue about here?

It's because you haven't made a thread about it yet.

To clarify, if you want a thread about something and it doesn't exist yet...you should make it.

CKTurbo128

Platinum Member
May 8, 2002
I would say the hostility in the GPU scene has always been there. When you have two big, popular rivals offering highly competitive products, there's always going to be degree of hostility.

In terms of the GPU scene, I think the worst I've seen it was back in 2003, during the ATI Radeon 9xxx vs GeForce FX wars. Lots of arguments and scandals during that time frame (DX9, FP24/FP32, SM 1.1/ SM2.0, 3DMark 2003 cheating, FX blower, etc.).

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I would say the hostility in the GPU scene has always been there. When you have two big, popular rivals offering highly competitive products, there's always going to be degree of hostility.

In terms of the GPU scene, I think the worst I've seen it was back in 2003, during the ATI Radeon 9xxx vs GeForce FX wars. Lots of arguments and scandals during that time frame (DX9, FP24/FP32, SM 1.1/ SM2.0, 3DMark 2003 cheating, FX blower, etc.).

That was some good times.

images

Reactions: CKTurbo128

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I think Rollo was before my time in these forums, at least i dont remember him. But if you want to blame someone like that, there was always jfAmd in the cpu forums hyping up bulldozer and generating a lot of vitriol. Point is many of the most vocal posters for either side are new members with a few posts, who obviously dont post the way they do because of something that went on years ago in the forums. The other point I was trying to make, is that IMO, right now this forum has a lot more pro-AMD posters that nVidia. In any case, not to sound metaphysical, ultimately we are responsible for our own actions. Just because someone acted a certain way in the past is not justification for what a person does today.

Obviously people are responsible for their own actions. Im simply trying to say that we didnt get where we are in the "GPU Hostility" game, without the help of paid shills(rollo or otherwise). And i dont believe there would be nearly as much hostility without paid shill marketing tactics that are being/have been employed by both Nvidia and AMD. Sure there would still be brand rivalries without shills, just not to the hype train off the rails levels we see today, IMO.