Question Horizontal Case, not a tower.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Looking for a flat/horizontal case like a HTPC case big enough for a 3 fan RTX 3070ti and strong enough to support a monitor. 1 DVD slot on the front would be nice.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Only one really comes to mind and it's kind of ugly bur, if you're putting a 3070 in it then it should stay cool enough.

As to putting a monitor on top that defeats the top fan option but, there's an insert IIRC to seal it off to put stuff on top.

HTPC options won't really work due to size / air flow. If you get creative enough though you might stumble across something. If you don't mind something a bit bigger then there's ATX mid/full tower options you can put on their side but, they're going to take up more space. It also depend son what kind of "desk" or entertainment nook you'll be using to support it.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
You know maybe the case does not need to support a monitor. I was thinking of the new build as mine for my desk but really it will be VR support which puts it on a shelf near the router. Still needs to be horizontal and big enough for the GPU...

Reactions: blckgrffn

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Well the HAF option would be best for keeping it cool during VR sessions. Silverstone isn't bad for looks but, they're a bit confined for airflow.

Otherwise the Meshify 2 from Fractal would be good for airflow as well. The footprint though is a bit bigger on its side.
  • GPU max length
    Storage layout: 290 mm - Open layout: 470 mm (445 mm w/ front fan)

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Just about any case can lay down, you can buy some feet to add to the back. I wouldn’t get one where both sides are tempered glass though! :)

I would also recommend considering an external USB DVD drive if that is a must so you aren’t constrained by the lack of cases with the right type of bays.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Just about any case can lay down
Well that settles it. Since no monitor needs to go on top I'm going to dump my Antec 900 over. The 900 has mesh, lots of fans and plenty of room. The PS seems to have all the proper connections.

It was sad to pull the Lynnfield guts out of the 900 case as that was my most reliable system ever. Never so much as a hiccup out of that thing.

• Love
Reactions: blckgrffn

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
htpc cases are not intended to have weight bearing on top of them.
They are meant to be showpieces next to a professional class amp and not ruin the theme of the setup.

There are better ways to go around this is:

1. Sound is not important.

Or

2. The machine will not stay on for long periods of time, like hours and hours, and will not have to worry about being a big electromagnet and attract a playboy mansion full of dust bunnies.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Sad thing is I've used 5 different cases in less than 5 years due to changing my mind on what I wanted in them. My ADL build needed an ATX due to lack of mATX options around release or I would have just kept sing my Node 804.

For the sake of this convo though I just checked out of curiosity and there's only 1 mATX option and it's DDR5 and $100 more than the one I went with. Compounding the costs of DDR5 would be another $100 more on top of that most likely. The money spent on the new case would make up for some of the cost difference though but, building from the ground up enabled selling a complete system to someone else to comp most of the ADL costs overall.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I like the way the drive bays are located on that Node, kinda folded to save space.

On the 900 you have the length of the GPU plus the drive bays making for a big box. Come to think of it those drive bays will all be empty in favor of an M.2 drive.

This will be my first (re)build in perhaps 9 or 10 years. Been married for 10 this year, coincidence?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Been married for 10 this year, coincidence?
Wellllll......

Diverting your attention to other things I suppose.

Yeah, the 804 is nice it splits 50/50 for drives on one side behind the MOBO to compartmentalize them into a separate chamber for temp control. The drive side though can have 2 front fans and a rear and the MOBO side has 2 front, 2 top, 1 rear, and 2 bottom positions to mount fans.

The carriage racks for the 3.5's hold 4 drives and slide out for mounting. It's a slick setup and compact too in comparison to most other cases w/ that kind of density for drives.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Looking better!
It is not a modular PS and there isn't a great way to run cables around the back so that is as good as it is going to get.

The system works but not perfectly. The desktop had some weird dancing pixels and some random black horizontal lines but these went away after a spell. The system crashed while I was gone and wouldn't reboot until I powered it off and on.

Alyx complained about too much RAM being used. I turned down the settings and was able to play until the battery died on the Quest.

System power draw was around 260 watts during Furmark. Max Temps were around 72 C for both the CPU and GPU.

I suppose Alex is smoother on the 1070 than the 1660ti but still not butter smooth.