Solved! Horizontal cabinet high end

pallab

Jul 11, 2019
I am building a server platform, although the motherboard has a lot of pcie slots, isn't strong enough to handle multiple gpus if I make it sit vertically(in the usual way) in a cabinet. So I wish to buy a cabinet, which I can sit horizontally, so the gpu's don't stress the mobo. Any suggestion for a such a cabinet is welcome.

I am looking for towers which can lay on their sides.

Also I wish to plant the CPU AIO radiator to the right of the mobo (instead of top) due to the socket location.

Last edited:
Solution
You basically want a rack case meant for servers.

Look for PC Rackmounted cases.

I believe Rosewell and istar may have some that fit your budget.

I dont recommend u getting supermicro tho, as they are really LOUD, unless u do a lot of modding.

Or you can get a HTPC case, i believe silverstone makes a few that are pretty good.

I don't really recommend you lay a tower sideways, as you have a good chance to scratch up the side panel like that, and most of them look really ugly when laid sideways.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
You basically want a rack case meant for servers.

Look for PC Rackmounted cases.

I believe Rosewell and istar may have some that fit your budget.

I dont recommend u getting supermicro tho, as they are really LOUD, unless u do a lot of modding.

Or you can get a HTPC case, i believe silverstone makes a few that are pretty good.

I don't really recommend you lay a tower sideways, as you have a good chance to scratch up the side panel like that, and most of them look really ugly when laid sideways.

Solution

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
But I dont think it will have radiator mounting options.

This silverstone seems like it can handle a 120x1 and possibly a 120x2 depending on the board tho, it may clip.

Thermaltake Core P3's can be laid sideways. but its a very open case, not good if u have curious pets, or little toddlers as the spinning fans and RGB lights will probably lead to massive temptations.

if you want a larger AIO then your probably better off getting a cube style, like a haf xb.

or another possibility is a thermaltake lvl20, but it maybe too tall.

What form factor is the motherboard?
ATX / mATX / iTX

There are a lot of smaller options for the m and i, but full sized ATX will all be a bit big.

Last edited:
Reactions: pallab

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
OR you could pick the tower style case of your choice and buy/fabricate/install something like this and use the tower as a tower -
This was common place in old school server towers and racks for heavy and long cards.

you dont need to anymore.
The pci-e slots now are reinforced on most boards now.

You would literally need to apply a lot of force to snap them or the card.

now if your going to watercool them tho, that's a different story as the waterblock can get pretty heavy depending on the materials, however still they will handle a watercooled gpu fine and then some.

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
you dont need to anymore.
The pci-e slots now are reinforced on most boards now.

You would literally need to apply a lot of force to snap them or the card.

now if your going to watercool them tho, that's a different story as the waterblock can get pretty heavy depending on the materials, however still they will handle a watercooled gpu fine and then some.
Very true, although from the OP's post he either doesn't have a board like that or doesn't trust it to work that way.

In today's world, these brackets/separators prevent warpage/bending of the video cards themselves and are easier to implement than the "L" shaped braces that attach to the I/O part of the case sold for the same purpose, especially if using multiple heavy cards.
They have the advantage of being a universal fit to any video card, rather than specific to one series or brand.
They are not physically attached to the video card.
They support the cards and prevent then from partially "popping" out of the slot when moving the case around, if installed properly.
They are pretty much a universal fit to any case and can be adapted to any case.
They allow you to maintain a consistent spacing between multiple cards/video cards for cooling that doesn't change due to the video cards sagging or warping with age when in an upright case.
They are easily made with aluminum angle and nylon/plastic materials, easily found at big box/DIY stores, for those that want to DIY.
For those that are inclined and DIY, they can be used as a means of hiding wiring or LED strips.

BTW, these type brackets/separators were never meant for slot support in their original usage, they were to maintain the uniform physical separation of heavy cards when used in a vertical server case. EISA and PCI-X slots physically supported much more of the card by the connector than PCI-E slot does so that wasn't a real problem when the case was vertical. The problem was cards with internal cables and/or heatsinks attached sagged over time and could actually come in physical contact with adjacent cards. This was especially true of RAID and HBA cards, as they had relatively large and heavy heatsinks on them because of the size and power consumption of the chips of that era and also the lack of "progress" in heatsink design at that point in time.

Can we agree they still have their uses ? :)

Reactions: pallab

pallab

Jul 11, 2019
This silverstone seems like it can handle a 120x1 and possibly a 120x2 depending on the board tho, it may clip.

Thermaltake Core P3's can be laid sideways. but its a very open case, not good if u have curious pets, or little toddlers as the spinning fans and RGB lights will probably lead to massive temptations.

if you want a larger AIO then your probably better off getting a cube style, like a haf xb.

or another possibility is a thermaltake lvl20, but it maybe too tall.

What form factor is the motherboard?
ATX / mATX / iTX

There are a lot of smaller options for the m and i, but full sized ATX will all be a bit big.

The form factor is SSI EEB. And the only towers supporting it, which can be laid sideways are
Phanteks Enthoo Primo
Phanteks Enthoo Elite.(this one costs 900$)
bequiet Dark Pro 900

There are other cases supporting SSI EEB (like Cooler master cosmos,obsidian 1000D) but they cant be laid sideways.
An outdated edition is the Corsair 900D which can also be laid sideways.

And these are the ONLY six towers that support SSI EEB

Last edited:

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The form factor is SSI EEB

your going to need to get a real server rack, possibly supermicro, and do some major modding as in changing the psu to something quiet, and the fans to something with great static and quiet.

SSI EEB is a full on dual cpu server platform if im not mistaken. Its simular to EATX.

pallab

Jul 11, 2019
I was not looking for racks in the first place. It is a custom build. I ordered the enthoo primo, which has full compatibility.

EATX cases do not support SSI EEB.