Hope for Alabama: Roy Moore Suspended

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: LunarRay
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
If we even remotely trusted in God we wouldn't be starting preemptive wars. We trust in God to provide the God mouthing party to provide votes and that's it. If you believe in God vote for me. People are machines that respond mechanically to words.

Your post shows you know nothing of trusting in God, please don't act like you do.

CkG

The Kingdom of God is not of this world. This place is the domain of all kinds of evil and temptation to be evil, it seems to me. My relationship with Jesus leads me away from war and war like activities and toward peace and harmony. I'm not going to interpret what Jesus meant when he said 'turn the other cheek' but, will opine that to invoke the name of God in the defense of killing seems a bit odd to me..

Bush seems to be able to reconcile his religion and killing just fine. Don't forget, when he was the Governor of Texas he sent a whole bunch of people (including retarded people) to their death. His state led the country in death penalty executions. It only fits that he would continue that winning streak during his presidency.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

Bush seems to be able to reconcile his religion and killing just fine. Don't forget, when he was the Governor of Texas he sent a whole bunch of people (including retarded people) to their death. His state led the country in death penalty executions. It only fits that he would continue that winning streak during his presidency.

Of course he can! The religion of Antichrist is sin. Killing and religion go hand-in-hand for him.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
What'ws with this G*d BS? It's not a banned word is it?

Red Dawn, I've stated this in a few other threads but I don't mind stating it again: I omit the vowels from the names of G-d in accordance with the first commandment "Thou shalt not take the name of the L-RD thy G-d in vain; for the L-RD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain." I believe as many Orthodox Jews/Christians that associating G-d's name with anything not of G-d is to take His name in vain.
I'm not sure why dmcowen674 did it though... I'll leave that up to him to explain.

I understand where you are coming from, but "God" and "Lord"(as well as other terms) are not the "name of God", that would be YWEH. "God"and "Lord" are terms of position and not names. That's why the Jews would never say "YWEH", but they would say, "God", "Lord", etc all the time.

If it was illegal to take the President's name in vain(some of us would be doomed to Hell :) ) to say "President" would be fine, but saying "George Bush", "Dubyah", or "Moron" ;) :D would be what one would avoid saying.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If we even remotely trusted in God we wouldn't be starting preemptive wars. We trust in God to provide the God mouthing party to provide votes and that's it. If you believe in God vote for me. People are machines that respond mechanically to words.

Your post shows you know nothing of trusting in God, please don't act like you do.

CkG

Relax. He didn't say anything like what you are imagining. Besides, how would you know what he trusts?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I could forego saying George Bush", or "Dubyah", but "Moron" would be really tough. :D

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

CkG
Dang, I think I've been condemned by a believer in a Savior. Sorry I forgot you own God and that what I see could never be called trust. :D

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Do we need to go back and remind the South they lost?

Hey, don't base your opinions of the South on what Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, and parts of Florida do. :) The rest of us are okay.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: sandorski

CkG

Relax. He didn't say anything like what you are imagining. Besides, how would you know what he trusts?

His posts make it quite clear how he feels in respect to his beliefs. I merely wish for him to quit his blasphemous posting. This is not condemnation - it is merely asking him to quit talking in such a ways that defile God or those that believe in God. He will be accountable for his actions one day, as will the rest of us.

CkG

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003

Red Dawn, I've stated this in a few other threads but I don't mind stating it again: I omit the vowels from the names of G-d in accordance with the first commandment "Thou shalt not take the name of the L-RD thy G-d in vain; for the L-RD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain." I believe as many Orthodox Jews/Christians that associating G-d's name with anything not of G-d is to take His name in vain.
I'm not sure why dmcowen674 did it though... I'll leave that up to him to explain.

I understand where you are coming from, but "God" and "Lord"(as well as other terms) are not the "name of God", that would be YWEH. "God"and "Lord" are terms of position and not names. That's why the Jews would never say "YWEH", but they would say, "God", "Lord", etc all the time.

If it was illegal to take the President's name in vain(some of us would be doomed to Hell :) ) to say "President" would be fine, but saying "George Bush", "Dubyah", or "Moron" ;) :D would be what one would avoid saying.

Not exactly.... While they may only be words in English, they are names of the L-rd in Hebrew (trust me, I've studied this). The only word for the L-rd which is acceptable to use (according to Orthodox beliefs) is Hashem (the name/blessed be the name). Here's a link to a site which discusses many of the names of G-d, if anyone's interested: Names of the L-rd

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

CkG

His posts make it quite clear how he feels in respect to his beliefs. I merely wish for him to quit his blasphemous posting. This is not condemnation - it is merely asking him to quit talking in such a ways that defile God or those that believe in God. He will be accountable for his actions one day, as will the rest of us.

CkG
I hate to be a nit picker, except with you, Caddy, since specializing in the trivial and absurd is something you expert in. So tell me, was it my post as in, "Your post shows you know nothing of trusting in God, please don't act like you do." or was it the new my posts as in, "His posts make it quite clear how he feels in respect to his beliefs." And of course, regardless of which, it's clear that you are reacting to your absurd impression of me, not the me that exists in reality.

And you merely wish for me to quit my blasphemous posting, do you. Hehe. I guess you're the Pope and the Inquisition rolled into one. And of course it's not condemnation, heavens no, how could anybody imagine that/ Hehe. "He will be accountable for his actions one day, as will the rest of us." Just a little of that old fire and brimstone tough love, eh Caddy, no condemnation implied. Must be nice, that rarefied air you breathe.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

CkG

CkG
I hate to be a nit picker, except with you, Caddy, since specializing in the trivial and absurd is something you expert in. So tell me, was it my post as in, "Your post shows you know nothing of trusting in God, please don't act like you do." or was it the new my posts as in, "His posts make it quite clear how he feels in respect to his beliefs." And of course, regardless of which, it's clear that you are reacting to your absurd impression of me, not the me that exists in reality.

And you merely wish for me to quit my blasphemous posting, do you. Hehe. I guess you're the Pope and the Inquisition rolled into one. And of course it's not condemnation, heavens no, how could anybody imagine that/ Hehe. "He will be accountable for his actions one day, as will the rest of us." Just a little of that old fire and brimstone tough love, eh Caddy, no condemnation implied. Must be nice, that rarefied air you breathe.

Have you put your trust in God?

CkG

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Not exactly.... While they may only be words in English, they are names of the L-rd in Hebrew (trust me, I've studied this). The only word for the L-rd which is acceptable to use (according to Orthodox beliefs) is Hashem (the name/blessed be the name). Here's a link to a site which discusses many of the names of G-d, if anyone's interested: Names of the L-rd

Interesting. Learn something new everyday. :)

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003

Interesting. Learn something new everyday. :)

Yes, I found it very interesting (and helpful) indeed. It's quite lengthy, but if you ever have the time and the urge, try reading it all (if you haven't already).

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

it's contradictory that you don't type out "god" or "lord" but do type out "hashem"

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
i best i can tell it is really just some massonic clicky thing. i mean i cant see how it could be derived from biblical times as there were no vouls in ancient hebrew anyway. besides, it seems rather nonsensical as they are all symbolic repersentations anywy; be it g-d, god, allah, the all mightily, thor, or whatever.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: jhu

it's contradictory that you don't type out "god" or "lord" but do type out "hashem"

Really? Explain how so. Making such a blanket statement without even backing it up is nothing more than an opinion. Do you know what Hashem means? It is not a name of G-d, it is "the name" referring to G-d's 4-letter name YHVH (notice how the vowels are omitted since there are no vowels in Hebrew).

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Trust in God but tie your camel first. A saying

So I take that as a "NO"?

CkG

Some folk wear their halos too tight
rolleye.gif

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Really? Explain how so. Making such a blanket statement without even backing it up is nothing more than an opinion. Do you know what Hashem means? It is not a name of G-d, it is "the name" referring to G-d's 4-letter name YHVH (notice how the vowels are omitted since there are no vowels in Hebrew).

that's nice. so why not just use yhvh instead of god? or hashem? to be even more accurate, why don't you use the hebrew spelling of god using the unicode hebrew characters? and by typing g-d, we know what you're talking about, you know what you're talking about, so you're already using his name in vain