Hope for Alabama: Roy Moore Suspended

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
It's funny how everytime I post anything "religious" in nature on these forums someone has to come out and ridicule and mock me for it. Does this give you joy? Looking down on those who believe the word of G-d? BTW, I don't say hail marys, the Catholic church is the great whore of Babylon spoken of in Revelation. Catholicism is a warped version of Christianity. The Catholic church does not obey the Ten Commandments, in fact, they break the 4th Commandment (keep the sabbath holy) every Sunday. The Bible establishes the 7th day (Saturday) as the sabbath and nowhere in scripture is it stated that the sabbath should be moved to Sunday, or the church given the power to do so. Sunday worship is a pagan practice of sun worship that the Roman Catholic church adopted in the 4th century, and sun-worship is specifically forbidden by the L-rd (thou shalt have no other gods before Him). Prayer to saints also falls under this category.
Anyway, I know you don't care, I just thought I'd post this information rather than letting you get away with mis-representing my beliefs (of which you have no idea what they are).

I wasn't ridiculing you for your beliefs, I was ridiculing your statement regarding the end of days. See, I believe people have a right to believe whatever they want, just don't push your beliefs on me. You seem to think that the world is getting worse and worse and we are getting to the "end of days". I think that is incorrect, and a big cop-out. Just because more and more people don't believe the way you do doesn't make the world worse, or put it on a path where the world will end.

Anyways, I'm not "looking down on you", I just think you have a really warped vision of how the world "should be". However, you are completely entitled to it, and it's not my place to look down on anyone.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
And Jesus said, "When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. "
- Matthew 6:5

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
If we even remotely trusted in God we wouldn't be starting preemptive wars. We trust in God to provide the God mouthing party to provide votes and that's it. If you believe in God vote for me. People are machines that respond mechanically to words.

Your post shows you know nothing of trusting in God, please don't act like you do.

CkG

Relax. He didn't say anything like what you are imagining. Besides, how would you know what he trusts?

His posts make it quite clear how he feels in respect to his beliefs. I merely wish for him to quit his blasphemous posting. This is not condemnation - it is merely asking him to quit talking in such a ways that defile God or those that believe in God. He will be accountable for his actions one day, as will the rest of us.

CkG

Regrettably you are not entitled to what you wish in this case. Just as you are offended at 'blasphemy', others are offended by your attempts to limit their words. While someone might, out of personal kindness, attempt to reduce or cease any blasphemous postings, you have no right to demand it. You can request it, the same way others can request that you stop your religious postings.

The central foundation of this nation is the right to free speech and expression, and not you or anyone else can take that away without a fight. I suggest you not even ask what you just did, unless you are willing to defend others rights to ask you not to bring up religion or rely on it...elsewhise you publicly name yourself hypocrite and closed minded.

If you are truly unable to accept that the right to proclaim belief only exists because of the right proclaim no such belief, then I suggest you move to a theocratic nation, one where the national religion is absolute and dissention a crime...there have been many over the years, USSR, Iraq, etc.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
If we even remotely trusted in God we wouldn't be starting preemptive wars. We trust in God to provide the God mouthing party to provide votes and that's it. If you believe in God vote for me. People are machines that respond mechanically to words.

Your post shows you know nothing of trusting in God, please don't act like you do.

CkG

Relax. He didn't say anything like what you are imagining. Besides, how would you know what he trusts?

His posts make it quite clear how he feels in respect to his beliefs. I merely wish for him to quit his blasphemous posting. This is not condemnation - it is merely asking him to quit talking in such a ways that defile God or those that believe in God. He will be accountable for his actions one day, as will the rest of us.

CkG

Regrettably you are not entitled to what you wish in this case. Just as you are offended at 'blasphemy', others are offended by your attempts to limit their words. While someone might, out of personal kindness, attempt to reduce or cease any blasphemous postings, you have no right to demand it. You can request it, the same way others can request that you stop your religious postings.

The central foundation of this nation is the right to free speech and expression, and not you or anyone else can take that away without a fight. I suggest you not even ask what you just did, unless you are willing to defend others rights to ask you not to bring up religion or rely on it...elsewhise you publicly name yourself hypocrite and closed minded.

If you are truly unable to accept that the right to proclaim belief only exists because of the right proclaim no such belief, then I suggest you move to a theocratic nation, one where the national religion is absolute and dissention a crime...there have been many over the years, USSR, Iraq, etc.

Ahem...
"I merely wish for him to quit his blasphemous posting",
"...please don't act like you do",
"merely asking him to quit talking in such a ways that defile God or those that believe in God"

I can and will ask or wish anyone who is blaphemous to cease. Moonbeam was posting as if he knew and trusted God - hence the blasphemy. He can say what he wants - I never said he couldn't and I in no way demanded it. Your assertion that I was demanding it, is not supported by what I have posted - so I ask you kindly quit telling me what I am and am not entitled to do - thanks.

CkG

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Earthers may control this their finite existence but, beyond that they have not a bit of control either to get up out of their grave or their eternity.. it seems to me. One who strives to control the finite but displays no apparent concern for the infinite has little time to become one with themselves and rid themselves of their self hate while the infiniters easily pass it on to the creater of the eternity that awaits them... IMO

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: TheBDB
I don't want a judge who will judge me according to the 10 Commandments, because they are not the law of the US.

Before I say this, please note that I don't support Moore. I think he's attention hungry and setting himself up as a matyr for a run to a higher office in Alabama.

That said, the 10 Commandments are the foundation that the laws in this country were established on. I don't think that is something we can ignore or discard. If a judge is a good judge, he will uphold the laws of his state and/or of the United States regardless of his political, ideological, or religious beliefs.

1. You shall have no other gods before Me Legal to worship other gods in U.S.
2. You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth Legal to worship carved images in U.S.
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain Legal to insult God in U.S.
4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Legal to skip church in U.S.
5. Honor your father and your mother. Legal to dishonor your parents in U.S.
6. You shall not murder. Illegal to murder, but it was before the commandments were written.
7. You shall not commit adultery. Legal to cheat on spouse in many places
8. You shall not steal. Illegal, but it was before the commandments were written.
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. Illegal in U.S.
10. You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's. Legal in U.S.

The best any supporter of Roy Moore can say is that 3 laws came from the ten commandments, when in reality those 3 laws were around in other areas of the world before the commandments were written and are the basic laws of almost every government.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands

CkG

CkG

Ahem...
"I merely wish for him to quit his blasphemous posting",
"...please don't act like you do",
"merely asking him to quit talking in such a ways that defile God or those that believe in God"

I can and will ask or wish anyone who is blaphemous to cease. Moonbeam was posting as if he knew and trusted God - hence the blasphemy. He can say what he wants - I never said he couldn't and I in no way demanded it. Your assertion that I was demanding it, is not supported by what I have posted - so I ask you kindly quit telling me what I am and am not entitled to do - thanks.

CkG

Again, your religious laws have no strength or importance to those who do not choose to follow your religion. My statements were not meant to do anything but make you aware of the dichotomy of your statements, in hopes of bringing the discussion to a more reasonable level. As long as either side makes requests of the other that they themselves are not willing to abide by, we will gain no understanding nor peace. I apologize if I overstated the vehemence of your requests, it was not my intention to do so. I have a personal pet peeve when it comes to hypocrisy and often become overly emotional during debates where I perceive it.

As to the point, I agree that you can ask it, but doing so actually greatly weakens your position unless you are willing to concede similar restrictions upon yourself. To do anything else is hypocriful and ends up shattering your character and moral basis, which is akin to failure in such an argument as this.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: jhu
Really? Explain how so. Making such a blanket statement without even backing it up is nothing more than an opinion. Do you know what Hashem means? It is not a name of G-d, it is "the name" referring to G-d's 4-letter name YHVH (notice how the vowels are omitted since there are no vowels in Hebrew).

that's nice. so why not just use yhvh instead of god? or hashem? to be even more accurate, why don't you use the hebrew spelling of god using the unicode hebrew characters? and by typing g-d, we know what you're talking about, you know what you're talking about, so you're already using his name in vain

Once again you make blanket statements of opinion as though they are fact and do not back them up with any evidence. It is obvious by your continued assertion of falsehoods that you have done absolutely no study in this area, and are simply stating an opinion. Perhaps if you had done some study on this subject and were able to back up your opinion with evidence, I would listen to you.

Originally posted by: Insane3D
It's funny how everytime I post anything "religious" in nature on these forums someone has to come out and ridicule and mock me for it. Does this give you joy? Looking down on those who believe the word of G-d? BTW, I don't say hail marys, the Catholic church is the great whore of Babylon spoken of in Revelation. Catholicism is a warped version of Christianity. The Catholic church does not obey the Ten Commandments, in fact, they break the 4th Commandment (keep the sabbath holy) every Sunday. The Bible establishes the 7th day (Saturday) as the sabbath and nowhere in scripture is it stated that the sabbath should be moved to Sunday, or the church given the power to do so. Sunday worship is a pagan practice of sun worship that the Roman Catholic church adopted in the 4th century, and sun-worship is specifically forbidden by the L-rd (thou shalt have no other gods before Him). Prayer to saints also falls under this category.
Anyway, I know you don't care, I just thought I'd post this information rather than letting you get away with mis-representing my beliefs (of which you have no idea what they are).

I wasn't ridiculing you for your beliefs, I was ridiculing your statement regarding the end of days. See, I believe people have a right to believe whatever they want, just don't push your beliefs on me. You seem to think that the world is getting worse and worse and we are getting to the "end of days". I think that is incorrect, and a big cop-out. Just because more and more people don't believe the way you do doesn't make the world worse, or put it on a path where the world will end.

Anyways, I'm not "looking down on you", I just think you have a really warped vision of how the world "should be". However, you are completely entitled to it, and it's not my place to look down on anyone.

How is my belief that it is the end times a cop-out? I've never said it is a bad thing that we are in the end of days... In fact, the opposite is true. Yeshua says in the book of Revelation that we are to rejoice when we see these occurrences, for they are a sign of His coming. As to your statement that people no believing the way I do not making the world worse, I say: how can it be a good thing that so few people believe the word of G-d literally? This is tied directly into the decline in morality and increase in violence/crime in latter years, IMNSHO.

Originally posted by: DealMonkey
And Jesus said, "When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. "

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but if it is where do you see any prayers to G-d? That statement made by Yeshua is a literal statement. It says "don't pray out in the open." Show me a prayer I have made in this forum. You can't, unless you misconstrue my words as prayer, in which case you'd be incorrect in your judgement. How is preaching His word and stating one's beliefs being a hypocrite?

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Once again you make blanket statements of opinion as though they are fact and do not back them up with any evidence. It is obvious by your continued assertion of falsehoods that you have done absolutely no study in this area, and are simply stating an opinion. Perhaps if you had done some study on this subject and were able to back up your opinion with evidence, I would listen to you.

hey, one person's opinion is another person's fact. well, at least you're not one of those god's witnesses.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but if it is where do you see any prayers to G-d? That statement made by Yeshua is a literal statement. It says "don't pray out in the open." Show me a prayer I have made in this forum. You can't, unless you misconstrue my words as prayer, in which case you'd be incorrect in your judgement. How is preaching His word and stating one's beliefs being a hypocrite?

It's not directed at you. Stop being so defensive. It's really directed at Judge Moore. He's obviously the hypocrite here. Jesus warned us about people like him.

Dec 8, 2002
who the h#ll is Yeshua? and what pertinance does he have to what Christ tought? That's one thing that baffles me about CHRISTianity, half of what is professed has absolutely zero to do with what Christ actually said or taught. Revelations? One of the best implementations of the "thought police" I can think of. I can understand how it got wrapped up into a book that supposedly conveyed the words and techings of Christ several hundred years after his passing.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: JohnnyMcJohnnyJohn
who the h#ll is Yeshua? and what pertinance does he have to what Christ tought? That's one thing that baffles me about CHRISTianity, half of what is professed has absolutely zero to do with what Christ actually said or taught. Revelations? One of the best implementations of the "thought police" I can think of. I can understand how it got wrapped up into a book that supposedly conveyed the words and techings of Christ several hundred years after his passing.

Yeshua is the name of "Jesus" in Hebrew. Mary was told to name the Christ child "salvation" which, in Hebrew is Yeshua. Jesus is a transliteration/mistranslation of the true name of Christ. Yeshua was transliterated into Greek as Iesous which became Jesus in English.
As far as belief in the book of Revelation and its origin goes, you're entitled to your opinion on that one. You're wrong, but you're entitled to hold that wrong opinion :) The book of Revelation was written by John in ~ 70 A.D., hardly "hundreds of years after Christ's passing." The book of Revelation is not supposed to be a continuation or an account of the teachings of Christ, it was a vision given to John while exiled on the island of Patmos.

Dec 8, 2002
Good argument :) I still find it odd that the book is entirely composed of the thoughts and interpretations of those other than Christ, himself. But that's tangential, thanks for the insight!

Dec 8, 2002
Last thing, what I find odd about Moore's assertion that the government must acknowledge that the law/ US legal system is based on Christine dogma (10 commandments) is that pretty much means every law made since the inception of our legal system was made with respect to religion. You can see where I'm going with this. 1st amendment stipulates (and we've all heard it by now) that "congress will make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." Well, if by Moore's logic the entire us legal system drafted by congress (since the inception of our country) is based upon Christian law, and is therefore made with respect to the establishment of one particular religion, that activates the 14th amendment: "no state shall make or ENFORCE any law which shall abridge the privileges and immunities of Citizens of the United States. That pretty much takes away the 10th amendment away as an argument on behalf of Moore's duty to acknowledge Christian Law/God in court.

Another interesting point, more from the 14th: "No person shall be a senator Representative in congress, or elector of President or Vice President, or hold any office, civil, or militarily, under the United States, or under any State, who having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any state legislature, or as an executive or Judicial officer of any state, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof." So if by the logic above, Mr. Moore's refusal to comply with the dictates of a higher court and the urging of others to support his defiance (freedom of speech or not, sounds like rebellion to me, if not outright insurrection) he pretty much precludes himself from ever holding any other office in the US government again. Lots at stake here folks.

**edited for the sake of horrible spelling and gramtical errors :) Last time I post something without running it through MS Word***