Honour societies: scam?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
someone I know recently got a letter in the mail from these people. That asks for $65 so that this person can join this group.

Convince this person that this is a scam for me, please. (Either that, or convince me that I'm wrong and it's worth $65)

Jassi

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
Depends - what is your major?

Engineering ones are worth it IMHO. I have gotten more out of Tau Beta Pi (in terms of help and resources) than my initial membership fee.

I got the offer from Golden Key too. I chose not to sign up because I don't see an advantage. If you are pre-med, Golden Key's $65 membership fee entitles you to a $75 discount on the Princeton Prep course for the MCAT. Thats a $10 profit before you figure anything else in to the equation.

It also depends on how active the chapter is on your campus, University of Windsor's Golden Key chapter is very active and does a lot of fun stuff (Check their website).

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
As Jassi mentioned, I jumped on the one for my engineering major (Alpha Theta Chi; Civil Engineering), but tossed the rest (not Golden Key, though).

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Golden Key is not a scam. Being a member enabled me to have a discount that I would otherwise not qualify for on my auto insurance with Geico. More than paid for itself over the years.

totalcommand

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2004
It's not a scam. I'm part of it, it's something you can put on your resume.

We have a club here associated with it.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
i joined after 1st year. seemed legit enough... don't really know all the details but at least it's resume filler. but uh i can't really say i've really taken advantage of it

dsfunk

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
not a scam, but golden key sucks

a major specific one might be better for a resume and networking

JetBlack69

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2001
I'm a member of Tau Beta Pi and Eta Kappa Nu. Those are engineering societies and are not a scam. :)

EDIT: I'm also a member of Golden Key (I think, I could never make it to their meetings since it was during my physics lab.) I think Golden Key is a rip-off.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
depends on the society.

I was president of my college's chapter of sigma tau delta (english honors fraternity) and it was pretty fun. also gave me additional venues to get things published which, if I ever chose to go to grad school for English Lit or writing, would look awsome on my application.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: loki8481
depends on the society.

I was president of my college's chapter of sigma tau delta (english honors fraternity) and it was pretty fun. also gave me additional venues to get things published which, if I ever chose to go to grad school for English Lit or writing, would look awsome on my application.

Coincidence that your society's letters were S-T-D?

ebaycj

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Depends.

I've been involved with three different honor societies while in college: Omicron Delta Epsilon (Economics), Beta Alpha Psi (Accounting), and National Society of Collegiate Scholars (general).

Omicron Delta Epsilon has invited me to join every year since I declared as an econ major: I've always thought it over for a month or two, and always ultimately decided it wasn't worth it. I've never heard of the chapter on the Univ. of Washington campus, only as a larger organization. I don't know anyone else that has joined it nor has anyone mentioned it to me.

I joined the National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NSCS) my first year at the UW, and it sounds like they have a fairly active chapter on campus. I, however, have never noted it on my resume, never attended a meeting, and never met someone else who was actively involved in it. I've never needed it.

Beta Alpha Psi, however, is something else entirely. I joined just this last Winter, got extremely involved both with the leadership and with community service; one of the best investments, financial and time-wise, that I've ever made. I've met more recruiters, professionals, and future leaders than I think I could have had I tried on my own. It's well regarded in the accounting community and it provides dozens of networking opportunities throughout the year. It's primarily an undergraduate organization but I've already pledged my assistance for the coming year (grad school) for a program the UW runs for its med, soon to be MBA, students; I figure the time investment for me over the summer will be the worst part, and it will help me to know the BAP leadership for the coming year and keep an eye out for potential employees/interns for the firm I'll probably be signing with full-time. Opportunities like this are why I like BAP and why I'll seek out BAP members as I assist recruiters in the future.

In short: it depends. BAP has served me well. NSCS and ODE have not, but I suppose for those who have the time and inclination to get involved they will provide value. If you're looking for something to add to your resume I think you're wasting your time, as no one cares unless you're Phi Beta Kappa or similar organization.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: ebaycj
depends on the society.

ebaycj

coincidence... we played on it, though. our recruitment posters said something along the lines of "STD: catch it." :)

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: ebaycj
depends on the society.

ebaycj

coincidence... we played on it, though. our recruitment posters said something along the lines of "STD: catch it." :)

How'd that work out?

Landroval

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Alternex
Originally posted by: Landroval
Golden Key is reputable but it's not a major deal. It certainly would not hurt to join :)

Doesn't hurt? $65 poorer hurts...

Not really. It might give you a slight edge, but it's not going to hurt your resume (assuming you are only putting it on a starting one). And $65 is not that much money. If you are short on cash, then don't worry about it or join later when you can afford to. I spend so much money on preofessional memberships each year (things like IEEE + individual SIGs), if I thought it would be even mildly beneficial I would join.

ghostman

Golden Member
Jul 12, 2000
Speaking of which, is there a CS honor society?

I applied for the Omicron Delta Epsilon (econ), but didn't get in (probably due to my half-assed attempt at an essay). Just as well, since they lost the Greek letters afterward. No clue what happened there.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Alternex
Golden Key is reputable but it's not a major deal. It certainly would not hurt to join :)

Doesn't hurt? $65 poorer hurts...

Not really. It might give you a slight edge, but it's not going to hurt your resume (assuming you are only putting it on a starting one). And $65 is not that much money. If you are short on cash, then don't worry about it or join later when you can afford to. I spend so much money on preofessional memberships each year (things like IEEE + individual SIGs), if I thought it would be even mildly beneficial I would join.

Aye, I'm looking at annual membership fees for the AICPA, WSCPA, IMA, and a few other professional societies. :confused: It's expensive, but in those cases usually worth it. Oy.

However, for something like Golden Key I'd probably drop it off the resume after a few years (if that) of real world experience anyway, as I'm sure I will with Beta Alpha Psi.