Homosexual marriage is not a civil rights issue

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: bozack
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Sorry, bozak, but the author has a bad case of bigotry.

never said he wasn't biased, heck everyone is....even you Moonie..or I should say especially you!...

Funny how your "bias" though here and elsewhere on the net is seen as semi progressive whereas the bias exhibited in that feature and by pro-conservative marriage supporters is seen as "bigotry" to use your terminology..IMHO truly unfair, there are always two sides to a coin, story or what have you...fact is people will always have to agree to disagree...

everyone here knows my stance, take the marriage game out of government...make everyone equal under the law as a union and these silly debates will be reduced to nothing more than the religious duking it out....

but I must say I agree with the author on the point that comparing this plight to that of the civil rights movement is absurd...the former was and is far more significant than this infinitesimal action will ever be, the effects and the message of the civil rights movement carry on unto this day and have great significance in our nations history, this if passed and accepted will be forgotten in no time as it has been in other nations...oh well, just my 2

I agree 100%. Especially on Moonpie. People like him are quick to label folks bigots when they disagree. But he himself makes puts forth many hints to bigotry himself. I agree with this article. I been saying it now for weeks, being homo has got nothing to do with being black. Hey why don't they compare themselves to Jews? Its sickening. And the bottom line is this. Same sex couples are not and never will be the same as opposite sex married couples. Most marrired couples get married and START A DAMN FAMILY through natural means. When these homosexuals can fulfill that role without adoption, surrogate partners, insemination, and any other bs means then they'll be equal. Until then stfu with all this equal nonsense.

Gen Stonewall

Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur
Originally posted by: Stonewall
Sure...why not allow polygamy?

For the same reason that we should not legalize homosexual marriage (see my previous post).

Pretty darn weak reasoning.

You realize polygamy (polygyny) was practiced all the way back, too? It's all over the Bible.

So is every kind of "sub-optimal" behavior.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Also, I wonder what the gay divorce rate will be since the average gay male has over 100 different partners per year?

How many different partners do married gay couples have per year?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
We know that there are risks to sex and risks to having kids. We know, also, that risk is the product of many things. We can conclude, therefore, that risk is not a reason to exclude gays from marriage because risk does not exclude straights.

We know that if gays are able to marry they will only be able to marry one person so the issue of polygamy is a separate case. Other reasons are given elsewhere why this is not an issue. The notion that gay marriage will lead to polygamy is less a concern that an amendment to the Constitution to ban gay marriage will lead to one returning the institution of slavery. And if not less, than similar. :D Ah, the mind of bigots don't rest.

We know that all these appeals against gay marriage have at their core this plea that we see with the bigot's fear how horrible things will be, that we taste how evil they are.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
We know that there are risks to sex and risks to having kids. We know, also, that risk is the product of many things. We can conclude, therefore, that risk is not a reason to exclude gays from marriage because risk does not exclude straights.

We know that if gays are able to marry they will only be able to marry one person so the issue of polygamy is a separate case. Other reasons are given elsewhere why this is not an issue. The notion that gay marriage will lead to polygamy is less a concern that an amendment to the Constitution to ban gay marriage will lead to one returning the institution of slavery. And if not less, than similar. :D Ah, the mind of bigots don't rest.

We know that all these appeals against gay marriage have at their core this plea that we see with the bigot's fear how horrible things will be, that we taste how evil they are.

And we all know your saying all this while being bent over. Give me a freaking break. Man just stop calling people bigots cause they don't support your "lifestyle". You call someone a bigot cause they don't support two men or women having sex with each other, what a joke. Where in the world of your 2nd grade education did u miss the health classes on the birds and the bees. And you know what, everything should be allowed then. Cause it don't get no more foul then same gender sex.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: rbV5
Cause it don't get no more foul then same gender sex.
Or interracial sex, right.

Don't be hating. :p Last time I checked we are of the opposite sex. And besides anyway I am all for sex as long as its with the opposite gender. I just luv it here. Woohoo :D

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: classy

Don't be hating. :p Last time I checked we are of the opposite sex. And besides anyway I am all for sex as long as its with the opposite gender. I just luv it here. Woohoo :D

Yo keep stating "your" preference as if it makes any difference. Gay couples can have sex all they want without being married (in most places I guess), gay marriage is not about gay sex...get it?

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Originally posted by: digitalsm

There really is no paralell to the 50/60's Civil Rights movement. Gays and Lesbians are in no way persecuted, discriminated against, etc as blacks were. Id still say, gays and lesbians face less discrimination that most blacks to this day. To say they equate, is not right. This issue is trivial compared to what blacks faced, and equating the two movements, demeans the civil rights movement.

So all gay people are white and gay people aren't beat up or made fun of in America because of their sexual orentation by ignorant punks and religous freaks ?

Is it what blacks face pre-50/60s? Not even close, so get over yourself. Is it wrong? Yes. But like I said, this movement is trivial compared to the civil rights movements.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: conjur
Originally posted by: Stonewall
Sure...why not allow polygamy?

For the same reason that we should not legalize homosexual marriage (see my previous post).

Pretty darn weak reasoning.

You realize polygamy (polygyny) was practiced all the way back, too? It's all over the Bible.

If gay marriage is legalised, bigamy should be to, as long as it doesnt violate any other laws(incest, consent).

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999

Yo keep stating "your" preference as if it makes any difference. Gay couples can have sex all they want without being married (in most places I guess), gay marriage is not about gay sex...get it?

No, I don't get it and don't have the desire to either. And the only way to tell if a person is gay or not is who they are sleeping with. There are a lot of gay men and women who you would never know was gay unless you found out that they were doing the nasty with the same gender. So unfortunately it is about gay sex.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000

never said he wasn't biased, heck everyone is....even you Moonie..or I should say especially you!...

Funny how your "bias" though here and elsewhere on the net is seen as semi progressive whereas the bias exhibited in that feature and by pro-conservative marriage supporters is seen as "bigotry" to use your terminology..IMHO truly unfair, there are always two sides to a coin, story or what have you...fact is people will always have to agree to disagree...

everyone here knows my stance, take the marriage game out of government...make everyone equal under the law as a union and these silly debates will be reduced to nothing more than the religious duking it out....

but I must say I agree with the author on the point that comparing this plight to that of the civil rights movement is absurd...the former was and is far more significant than this infinitesimal action will ever be, the effects and the message of the civil rights movement carry on unto this day and have great significance in our nations history, this if passed and accepted will be forgotten in no time as it has been in other nations...oh well, just my 2

I agree 100%. Especially on Moonpie. People like him are quick to label folks bigots when they disagree. But he himself makes puts forth many hints to bigotry himself. I agree with this article. I been saying it now for weeks, being homo has got nothing to do with being black. Hey why don't they compare themselves to Jews? Its sickening. And the bottom line is this. Same sex couples are not and never will be the same as opposite sex married couples. Most marrired couples get married and START A DAMN FAMILY through natural means. When these homosexuals can fulfill that role without adoption, surrogate partners, insemination, and any other bs means then they'll be equal. Until then stfu with all this equal nonsense.

OH, you are 100 PERCENT right, homos have NOTHING in common with blacks, they don't have the hands in my wallet, they aren't asking for handouts, they aren't bitching about being mistreated in the work place, they don't expect preferential treatment for govt jobs for entry into schools.

oh ya, you are 100 PERCENT right, homo has NOTHING to do with black. you are EXACTLY right, we should compare homo's to jews, they ARE discriminated against but all they ask for is the right to live as they please in privacy.

that's right, call me a racist. but me being a racist has NOTHING to do with the FACT that the NAACP CONSTANTLY is begging, yes BEGGING for more and more entitlements.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: PlatinumGold

OH, you are 100 PERCENT right, homos have NOTHING in common with blacks, they don't have the hands in my wallet, they aren't asking for handouts, they aren't bitching about being mistreated in the work place, they don't expect preferential treatment for govt jobs for entry into schools.

oh ya, you are 100 PERCENT right, homo has NOTHING to do with black. you are EXACTLY right, we should compare homo's to jews, they ARE discriminated against but all they ask for is the right to live as they please in privacy.

that's right, call me a racist. but me being a racist has NOTHING to do with the FACT that the NAACP CONSTANTLY is begging, yes BEGGING for more and more entitlements.

LOL. Man, poor lil thing, my heart just goes out to you, in that is, lol. :D

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
black people of ALL people should be wary of ANY kind of discrimination. it's shocking that a group of people that have gotten as many governmental concessions as they have can have the GALL to speak out against ANY other minority. It's OUTRAGEOUS.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
black people of ALL people should be wary of ANY kind of discrimination. it's shocking that a group of people that have gotten as many governmental concessions as they have can have the GALL to speak out against ANY other minority. It's OUTRAGEOUS.

One good thing about homosexuality, hopefully it will help thin the gene pool of folks like you. U sound like a product of 2 first cousins from down south.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000

One good thing about homosexuality, hopefully it will help thin the gene pool of folks like you. U sound like a product of 2 first cousins from down south.

attack me all you want, it just strengthens my points.

just because most people are too politically correct to say so does NOT mean that blacks receive more benefits as a group from our government than all other minorities. that the NAACP has developed a culture of claiming "victimization" among the "afro-americans".

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999

attack me all you want, it just strengthens my points.

just because most people are too politically correct to say so does NOT mean that blacks receive more benefits as a group from our government than all other minorities. that the NAACP has developed a culture of claiming "victimization" among the "afro-americans".

Wow your coming out swinging. Did some brother do something to you? Or maybe your girlfriend or wife :Q? LOL
Hey Look, obviously you have an axe to grind but hey I didn't do it. So go cry your river to someone else.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
classy is a good example of what the hatred of racism does to people's minds. The hatred of gays is and will do the same to them. It's why we need to treat people equally and try to heal the mental illness that hate inflicts on people.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000

No, I don't get it and don't have the desire to either. And the only way to tell if a person is gay or not is who they are sleeping with. There are a lot of gay men and women who you would never know was gay unless you found out that they were doing the nasty with the same gender. So unfortunately it is about gay sex.

Why do you have to get it anyway? You have to be sleeping with someone to know whether you're gay or not? I knew I was hetero long before I ever slept with anyone, somehow, I think it probably works that way with gays as well. You say its about gay sex, because apparently when you think of gays, "YOU" think of gay sex, perhaps you need to explore that side of you sexuality? Gay marriage is about equality in every other aspect of their lives together. Those things that everyone else takes for granted. They can already have gay sex...do you still not get that point?