homeowners association

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
I have been living in my house for a year now, and they just now started a homeownes association. Dues are 120/year.

Looking at the newsletter that they passed out, looks like one of the first things they wanted to do was to clean up the entrance area of the neighborhood.

what are your homeowners association like? do they do anything that actually benifiets you directly? I mean, if every house in our neighborhood pays 120 per year, I think that can do more then just cleaning up the entrance area.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Mine is just a bunch of housewives with nothing better to do than watch Oprah eating bon-bons then bitch, moan, complain and send out nasty letters threatening to take your house from you because your landscaping isn't symmetrical.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
Mine is just a bunch of housewives with nothing better to do than watch Oprah eating bon-bons then bitch, moan, complain and send out nasty letters threatening to take your house from you because your landscaping isn't symmetrical.

If they're just setting this up now, geta lawyer to write you a vaguely worded clause that lets you call a garbage fire in your yard "landscaping" :D

AmpedSilence

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
120/year is cheap. Hopefully, they actually use that money.

The places that i am looking at buying have a fee of 160/month. But they take care of ALL landscaping and snow removal across the entire development. and most outside maintance of your house. Oh and they take care of the community pool and tennis courts. Thats all i know that they are good for.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
We're in the process of buying our first house and the HOA dues are $262/yr. There are no "common areas" and no community pool. I asked our Realtor what that $262 covers and after researching it and calling around he couldn't figure it out. I need to start a racket like that!

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
There is one in our neighborhood but I don't think we have to pay to be in it - I never pay attention to the mailings. Supposedly there is a rule in our neighborhood that fences aren't allowed - what would happen if I decided I wanted to build one? We never signed any form about this type of thing when we closed on the house last year... What would happen?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: So
Originally posted by: spidey07

If they're just setting this up now, geta lawyer to write you a vaguely worded clause that lets you call a garbage fire in your yard "landscaping" :D

Best bet is for the OP to NOT be a part of the association. That way he can tell them to go pound sand if his Christmas lights are still up on december 26th.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Semidevil
I have been living in my house for a year now, and they just now started a homeownes association. Dues are 120/year.

Looking at the newsletter that they passed out, looks like one of the first things they wanted to do was to clean up the entrance area of the neighborhood.

what are your homeowners association like? do they do anything that actually benifiets you directly? I mean, if every house in our neighborhood pays 120 per year, I think that can do more then just cleaning up the entrance area.

I really doubt they just popped up. They are required to hold meetings and get approval of those living in the community. It did just not pop up. If it really did you need to challange their ability to form.

Trust me a HOA will be a nightmare in the long run. Unless, as spidey07 said, you are one of those people that thinks you should be able to tell others what to do with their yard, house, etc...

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: BillGates
There is one in our neighborhood but I don't think we have to pay to be in it - I never pay attention to the mailings. Supposedly there is a rule in our neighborhood that fences aren't allowed - what would happen if I decided I wanted to build one? We never signed any form about this type of thing when we closed on the house last year... What would happen?

they would bitch and complain

you would tell them to go fuck themselfs and build your fence

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Anubis

They then sue him in court and most liekly win. He then has a lein put on house for fines, court cost, lawyers fees, HOA fees, etc... and then they, HOA, sell house fro what is owed to a "private party" and he has nothing to show.

Most states give HOAs powers that even most goveremnts don;t have.

If you value you life fight tooth and nail to keep HOAs out of your area.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Marlin1975

They then sue him in court and most liekly win. He then has a lein put on house for fines, court cost, lawyers fees, HOA fees, etc... and then they, HOA, sell house fro what is owed to a "private party" and he has nothing to show.

if he isnt in the HOA and never agreed to it they cant do shit

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

Bingo.. he never signed anything saying he was in the HOA. Just because they are in the neighborhood does not mean that you have to sign up and participate. You own the house, you do not belong to the HOA, so any "benefits" they provide should not be received by you and their influence should have no bearing on what you want to do either.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

If the HOA was setup before he bought his house then it would still be covered. Trust me I have read about a lot of cases like that of people buying but not getting proper notice(this may also depend on if the state has a law that cobvers this issue). He could go after the people that sold him the house and did not tell but I am sure they don't have the funds to cover what the HOA would do to him or would not be liable since he now knows of a HOA and did not file against them.

Felisity

Sep 1, 2002
Just bought a new home and HOA dues are $150.00 month.

This covers:

Master insurance
Snow removal
Refuse removal
Landscaping
Parking lot maintenance
Occasional upgrades like Storm doors, to be voted upon by association members.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
HOA's should be illegal and anyone who tries to start one burned at the stake.

Fucking busybodies with nothing better to do than worry about other people's property.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
We have a hoa and so far its been pretty good. $113 a month and that covers mowing the front yards, water, garbage, mowing the large common areas, pool, snow removal, and tennis courts.

Felisity

Sep 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
What is Master Insurance?

AFAIK, it covers the home exterior. These are townhomes, and our homeowners insurance only requires that we cover the building interior due to the master insurance covering the exterior.

MA is a weird state.. we had never heard of Master Insurance before buying our home here. :confused:

xochi

Jan 18, 2000

My dues are 350 per year. They cover community pool, tennis courts, club house, landscaping common areas and entrance and various social activities which are actually quite fun.

Octoberfest/Halloween party coming up WHOOT!

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

If the HOA was setup before he bought his house then it would still be covered. Trust me I have read about a lot of cases like that of people buying but not getting proper notice(this may also depend on if the state has a law that cobvers this issue). He could go after the people that sold him the house and did not tell but I am sure they don't have the funds to cover what the HOA would do to him or would not be liable since he now knows of a HOA and did not file against them.

Here is soemthing I found real quick...

MUST BUYER BE INFORMED ABOUT HOMEOWNER'S ASSOCIATION?

DEAR BOB: If I was not informed when I bought my house that a homeowner's association existed for that subdivision, do I have to follow their rules and regulations? --Gary G.

DEAR GARY: Presuming the homeowner association (HOA) documentation was properly recorded when the subdivision was developed, all subsequent homeowners are subject to the CC&Rs (covenants, conditions, and restrictions) of the HOA.

Even if you were not told about the HOA, or the CC&Rs were not mentioned in your deed, if they were properly recorded they are binding on future owners. For full details, please consult a local real estate attorney.

Sorry to say he probable in a HOA and does not even know it. If he goes to court not only will he probable lose the case. He will also have to pay late fees, lawyers fees, HOA fees, etc... Like I said before, a lot of HOAs have more power then most local goverments.

Semidevil

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2002
Originally posted by: amdskip
We have a hoa and so far its been pretty good. $113 a month and that covers mowing the front yards, water, garbage, mowing the large common areas, pool, snow removal, and tennis courts.

wait, so they actually mow your yard for you??

see, in my neighborhood, we do not have a common areas(pool, park, tennis courts), so thats why I was a bit confused.

the money is not the problem. If I am paying them to actually do something for me that I can benefit from(short term and long term), then I don't mind at all. It's just that for now, they only mention about decorating the entrance area of our neighborhood, which I really do not give a hoot for.