Homeowner shoots intruder (escaped convict)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
LOL eski and the rest of the thug supporter crew post drivel like that all the time...

And any good liberalie should know that just because a poor poor criminal shot a cop it doesn't mean anything, that was in the past!!

I mean how long do you expect people to suffer injustice due to something that happened months ago?? This guy was basically rehabilitated already.

Then after some convict pushed him over the fence he had to choice but to break in and look for food. And that's when that asshole trigger happy old man shot the poor guy :-/

Sure don't. I simply have posted information that has shown that indicates it is quite possible that owning a gun makes you less safe overall. That has nothing to do with people being prevented from owning guns, just that it might be a bad idea. I have always made this extraordinarily clear, but then again you aren't exactly the brightest bulb.

You really display a bizarre, childish id on here that is obsessed with punishing those you consider to be beneath you, it's disgusting. I sincerely hope that this forum is simply a place you go to vent troublesome thoughts and this isn't how you actually behave in real life.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Are there really people, actual people with brains, who think this kind of shooting is wrong?

I believe that, at least at one point, some states had laws that said you had the duty to retreat if you reasonably could. It could be argued that instead of going to the kitchen, getting the gun and then confronting him that both him and his wife could have fled the home.

I am sure there are some states that you can technically be prosecuted for this.

nixium

Aug 25, 2008
ROFL are you serious? No doubt that the elderly gent would've been deemed unfit to own a gun.

There are many many people in this country who would die before giving up their guns. You have at least one young generation left that will have to die off before you gun grabbers are going to make any headway. Gun ownership has skyrocketed over the last few years and is still going up.

Guns are not going away. It's deeply engrained in our culture and is part of what defines America and Americans.

I would love..... love..... to see an entity attempt the crap they did in katrina (going door to door confiscating guns) in my state.

Obviously the ones already having guns would be "grandfathered" into the new system.

Getting new guns however, would require them to abide with the new rules.

It's like having unlimited data on your AT&T plan and then adding features.

Whether this gentleman would have his gun permit revoked or not would depend on what the new rules are. For example, a failing eye sight would not have allowed him to have a long range rifle, but a shotgun - why not?

Like it or not, the days of wild west gun ownership are over.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Are there really people, actual people with brains, who think this kind of shooting is wrong?

read the GZ thread (yeah i know it's long). there are idiots that feel that if you "need" a gun to defend yourself you are not a "real man".

There are idiots that think that no matter the situation using a gun is MURDER.

There are idiots that feel that if you can run you should (btw that was the law for a while. people were sent to jail for not running).

OlafSicky

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2011
There are always two sides of the story. The guy was walking unarmed down the stairs the homeowner had a shotgun and could have and should have made a citizen's arrest.
This was murder plain and simple. If they were too afraid to confront the burglar they should have just left the house since they were in no danger. They had the shotgun and there were two of them vs one scared hungry tired burglar.

Sep 7, 2009
There are always two sides of the story. The guy was walking unarmed down the stairs the homeowner had a shotgun and could have and should have made a citizen's arrest.
This was murder plain and simple. If they were too afraid to confront the burglar they should have just left the house since they were in no danger. They had the shotgun and there were two of them vs one scared hungry tired burglar.

Aaaaaand down the rabbit hole we go.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003

This is so idiotic, it HAS to be trolling.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
It's unfortunate that someone died, but in a situation like that I can't imagine it turning out much better. Convict gambled with his life and lost, and while I don't have much sympathy for anyone who preys on the elderly, he was someone's son and there are people that will miss him. Glad the homeowners weren't hurt, or prosecuted. I would have done the same thing without a moment's hesitation.

Consider this another reason to own a dog. Even yappy little rats with perms can raise the alarm, could do a lot to prevent someone just walking up to you and taking your shotgun away. I think this story just convinced me to buy my wife a 20gauge that I had been considering.

Sep 7, 2009
This is so idiotic, it HAS to be trolling.

Read even just a few pages of the trayvon/zimmerman thread. There are quite a few EXTREMELY vocal people who feel the same way as olaf.

They really, truly do think that actions such as what this old man did is absolutely criminal.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I think we're all missing the biggest story in this. How was a man competent enough to escape from prison and evade the police for several hours also stupid enough to leave a man he was holding hostage unattended with a loaded shotgun he had earlier taken from the man?

nixium

Aug 25, 2008

I'm not a guns & gods kinda guy but even I see how idiotic this post is unless you're being sarcastic?

Citizens arrest WTF by a 71 year old guy and his wife vs a hardened criminal? 71 year old folk running away from the house in the middle of nowhere?

Have you met old people?

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
LMAO!!! Rules of engagement according to the den mother. I'll have to remember this for future threads where your liberal brethren post similar comments.
It's a local story that interests me. I'm just trying to keep it from turning into yet another gun nut circle jerk. The only people more ridiculous than the gun haters are the gun worshipers. Guns are a useful tool. They aren't evil, and they aren't a magic want to protect you from evil. Sadly, people like you and your equally shrill gun-hating counterparts consistently prevent intelligent, productive conversation about gun-related issues.

Sep 7, 2009
I'm not a guns & gods kinda guy but even I see how idiotic this post is unless you're being sarcastic?

Citizens arrest WTF by a 71 year old guy and his wife vs a hardened criminal? 71 year old folk running away from the house in the middle of nowhere?

Have you met old people?

Bullshit excuse. MMA fighters go through way worse. Old men in wars go through way worse.

nixium

Aug 25, 2008
I think we're all missing the biggest story in this. How was a man competent enough to escape from prison and evade the police for several hours also stupid enough to leave a man he was holding hostage unattended with a loaded shotgun he had earlier taken from the man?

I assume you're a man in the prime of your life (below 50.)

How much of a threat do you think a bewildered 71 year old man and his wife are, especially after you've frightened the hell out of them by waking at night and confiscating their own shotgun?

Hello I won't even be scared of a clint eastwood and he's pretty badass for an old guy.

Plus the general culture in the states seems to be one of making fun of old people, not respecting them, and I'm talking about normal people. This was a felon who'd just shot a police officer. He was probably feeling pretty badass.

Abraxas

Golden Member
Oct 26, 2004
As a member of the group opposed to gun control (grudgingly) can I just point something out?

The intruder went from unarmed to armed only because their was a gun in the house. The intruder then turned that weapon against the home owners and it was only because of his own stupidity being at a level out of a cartoon (leaving the weapon unattended) that this didn't become a story for the anti-gun crowd where they would be going on about how a family was killed with their own gun, because that is what almost happened. Again, I'm pro-gun but this is not a great showing or example for our side.

Sep 7, 2009
As a member of the group opposed to gun control (grudgingly) can I just point something out?

The intruder went from unarmed to armed only because their was a gun in the house. The intruder then turned that weapon against the home owners and it was only because of his own stupidity being at a level out of a cartoon (leaving the weapon unattended) that this didn't become a story for the anti-gun crowd where they would be going on about how a family was killed with their own gun, because that is what almost happened. Again, I'm pro-gun but this is not a great showing or example for our side.

So because there are a couple of irresponsible people who own guns, who may not keep them locked up or under watch, should mean that I as a responsible gun owner should not be allowed to own a gun?

I don't really care if EVERY other gun owner is irresponsible, that should have no bearing on someone's right to self defense.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
So because there are a couple of irresponsible people who own guns, who may not keep them locked up or under watch, should mean that I as a responsible gun owner should not be allowed to own a gun?

I don't really care if EVERY other gun owner is irresponsible, that should have no bearing on someone's right to self defense.
/facepalm

What part of "opposed to gun control" and "I'm pro-gun" is too hard for you?

nixium

Aug 25, 2008

I can agree with this, if someone owns a gun it's no different from being irresponsible than with anything else, and any irresponsibility (that affects the owner ONLY) shouldn't be held against other law abiding gun owners. If you dance on your roof, slip and fall and break your head, is it the roof's fault, and should dancing on the roof be banned?

The assumption is that you can't own a gun unless you pass strict checks, of course.

Sep 7, 2009
/facepalm

What part of "opposed to gun control" and "I'm pro-gun" is too hard for you?

You being intentionally obtuse makes you come across as a total moron. I know what he said, and just because I'm providing a counter argument to someone who you perceive as "on my side" doesn't negate my comment.

Also, stop looking at this as "us versus them". That's not what something like this should be about and is a childish way to deal with a problem.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You being intentionally obtuse makes you come across as a total moron. I know what he said, and just because I'm providing a counter argument to someone who you perceive as "on my side" doesn't negate my comment.

Also, stop looking at this as "us versus them". That's not what something like this should be about and is a childish way to deal with a problem.

Yeah, it's not 'us vs. them', it's SpatiallyAware vs. the 'thug supporter crew'.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
You being intentionally obtuse makes you come across as a total moron.
Irony.

I know what he said, and just because I'm providing a counter argument to someone who you perceive as "on my side" doesn't negate my comment.
When you attack someone who is agreeing with you, it makes you look like a moron. Either that, or horribly reading impaired.

Kiss off, hypocrite. When you post drivel like this:
"LOL eski and the rest of the thug supporter crew post drivel like that all the time..."
You have zero room to criticize anyone else for us vs. them.

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
Just wanted to point out. Long wasn't unarmed.

"(Long) had a handgun but was described as non-confrontational," Mortvedt said. "After about four hours, Long let the Mauderlys out of sight, then Jerome Mauderly recovered the shotgun and shot and killed Long.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

suppose there were no firearms of any kind in the home. And furthermore suppise the criminal wasn't armed, either. How do you propose the 71 y/o man could have protected himself, his wife, and his property from this criminal in either case?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

you didn't read the article very well did you?

Long -- who had allegedly shot a deputy pursuing him on Sunday --

"(Long) had a handgun but was described as non-confrontational,"

sooo he had a gun.