Homelessness Awareness

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Does anyone know anything about this? Supposedly some coworkers of mine (an RA in another dorm on campus) did a program on "homelessness awareness"... I almost spit out my drink when I heard of it. What bullsh!t.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Bigdude
I am aware, that if I didn't work, I would be homeless too!

Just remember, it's not your fault. We all need to be sensitive of your condition and your needs.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Orsorum
Does anyone know anything about this? Supposedly some coworkers of mine (an RA in another dorm on campus) did a program on "homelessness awareness"... I almost spit out my drink when I heard of it. What bullsh!t.

What the hell are you talking about?

I'm aware they exist if that's what you mean.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
I am aware that most homelessness is the result of either lifestyle choice or failure of our mental health system. I would never try to force someone to change a harmless lifestyle of their choice and I am not smart enough to figure out how to fix the mental health system (maybe nobody is considering some of the BS I've heard about fixing it). So I'm aware. Now what? Do I feel compelled to become an activist? No! Few "awareness" campains are just about information, they are recruiting drives.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Vadatajs

What the hell are you talking about?

I'm aware they exist if that's what you mean.

Title says it all, "Homelessness Awareness". Awareness of who homeless people are, I would assume, why they're there, the struggles they face. It actually won an award (I think) at our end of the year dinner banquet. Not sure, I stopped paying attention after the first five minutes.

I'm so glad I'm going to be a CA and not have to deal with this diversity bs again. Well, at least as part of my job.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ignorance is bliss, right? If you don't like what you hear, just tune it out. Works wonders.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: konichiwa
Ignorance is bliss, right? If you don't like what you hear, just tune it out. Works wonders.

I prefer to listen to as many viewpoints as possible. However, when you're dealing with a community of people that shirk any and all responsibility, waste the ample opportunities that are presented, and generally constitute a drain on the rest of society, then, yes, I tend to get irritated when I am supposed to feel as though they are not (in general) responsible for their plight.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

I prefer to listen to as many viewpoints as possible. However, when you're dealing with a community of people that shirk any and all responsibility, waste the ample opportunities that are presented, and generally constitute a drain on the rest of society, then, yes, I tend to get irritated when I am supposed to feel as though they are not (in general) responsible for their plight.

In general, they are not responsible for their situation. The there are millions of schizophrenics for which medication does not work. A vast number of these make up the homeless. True, not everyone, but the majority simply are unable to be "normal"

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider
In general, they are not responsible for their situation. The there are millions of schizophrenics for which medication does not work. A vast number of these make up the homeless. True, not everyone, but the majority simply are unable to be "normal"

There are resources available for those individuals; not only that, their families are to some extent responsible.

Good heavens, I'm in a whiny mood today. :p

TheShiz

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

there are a lot bigger problems out there than homelessness. I think your view is quite limited. You seem to forget that homeless people are still people, and usually it is not as simple as just "getting a job." I think that the majority of homeless people would rather simply be left alone instead of being treated the way they are now. I find it funny that people start blaming problems on powerless people, the homeless's "drain on the rest of society" is infinitesimal no doubt compared to corrupt politicians and corporations.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: TheShiz
there are a lot bigger problems out there than homelessness. I think your view is quite limited. You seem to forget that homeless people are still people, and usually it is not as simple as just "getting a job." I think that the majority of homeless people would rather simply be left alone instead of being treated the way they are now. I find it funny that people start blaming problems on powerless people, the homeless's "drain on the rest of society" is infinitesimal no doubt compared to corrupt politicians and corporations.

Corrupt politicians and corporations should be held to account, and I advocate that the same I advocate against homelessness. There is a vast array of resources available for homeless people to get counseling, to get medicine, etc., just waiting to be taken advantage of. I understand that it is not as simple as "get a job", that more goes into then that, but that doesn't change the basic fact that people who are homeless can help themselves out of that situation.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001

One of the worst threads I've ever read.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001

They are not (in general) wholly responsible for thier plight. It's convienient and emotionally satisfying to think that it is, but the "ample opportunities" these people allegedly piss away often aren't presented in the first place (ie good education). Granted people are homeless because they did piss away a genuine opportunity, but lumping them in with the ones to whom poverty is ascribed undermines any ability to understand and thus solve the problem.

And then there's bigdude.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: BarneyFife

Agreed, yet another ego with an opinion and no knowledge.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Vadatajs
Originally posted by: BarneyFife

Agreed, yet another ego with an opinion and no knowledge.

Care to elaborate?

I've been helping out homeless people since I was 13. I donate to shelters and charities. I have talked, prayed, and eaten with homeless destitutes. To treat people in this condition as if they are deserving of mercy, certainly. Assistance and prayers should be offered, genuine help given when requested.

But to treat this "condition" as if it were something normal, or something to be regarded as anything but abnormal, is spurious.