Homeland Security to compile database of journalists, media influencers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
If it were some Deep State conspiracy they probably wouldn't contract it out...
Anybody who believes it's a deep state conspiracy would just assume that is part of how the conspiracy intends to hide itself, no?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Wonder why no mention of this on the Sunday shows? One of them had someone from Homeland Security to ask.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Anybody who believes it's a deep state conspiracy would just assume that is part of how the conspiracy intends to hide itself, no?

Yeh, I don't get all the concern from posters who usually seem less volatile.

What will it do? It lets DHS selectively monitor the most influential world news outlets using both filter & watchdog features, lets them analyze it more quickly. It's not snooping because it looks at content posted to the web & to social media. It's a response to the kind of propaganda effort put out by the Russians during the 2016 election. About the time anybody woke up to it happening it was over & had served the intended purpose- helping America put an incompetent in the White House.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
So what you're saying is that everyone prior to Trump had no clue how to include "media influencers", whether they are on TV, radio, Youtube, FB, in their list that is outdated and has never been updated in recent memory...which in reality means it doesn't exist in the first place.
Prior to to Trump the "media influencers" were different people. Even if the platforms did exist back then, the people who were influential during Obama's or Bush's or Clinton's tenures were different people and thus, the list would be different. Hence the necessity to create a new list.

These lists are well-known facts about how the CIA has attempted to influence the US public. The only difference now is that the public has become so acceptant of violations of their privacy and constitutional rights that now the US government can simply tell you that they are going to use DHS to spy on you and you accept it. What choice do you have?
Sorry. Just doesn't play. What need is there for the government to generate a database of every journalist by political outlook or who the write for? Damn, you conservatives just are incredibly ignorant or willfully so. Resist registering gun owners but damn near create the same thing for journalists.

I'm not a conservative. About the only thing even remotely conservative about me is the way I view economics and trade. You seem confused about a lot of things.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Prior to to Trump the "media influencers" were different people. Even if the platforms did exist back then, the people who were influential during Obama's or Bush's or Clinton's tenures were different people and thus, the list would be different. Hence the necessity to create a new list.

These lists are well-known facts about how the CIA has attempted to influence the US public. The only difference now is that the public has become so acceptant of violations of their privacy and constitutional rights that now the US government can simply tell you that they are going to use DHS to spy on you and you accept it. What choice do you have?

I'm not a conservative. About the only thing even remotely conservative about me is the way I view economics and trade. You seem confused about a lot of things.

What a load. None of what DHS wants from this involves anything other than information already in the public domain. They want to better track who's influencing public opinion & how. They want to better monitor the propaganda players as a matter of national security. The need for that is obvious after the 2016 election.

Anything anybody posts to social media or their own website is not intended to be private. It's the same with any story offered up to the media, as well. You're wrongfully conflating invasion of privacy with what they're doing.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009

I forgot, Comrade.....U Russian. My bad.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You know, it seems like it could be an uncomfortably necessary means of distinguishing between the real fake news parrots (Russian troll farms, Info Wars, Fox News Corp) and legit journalism--actual threats to free democracy, even though it is certainly a corruptible enterprise.

However, it's hard to give this douchenozzle the benefit of the doubt when he makes the announcement in such a bellicose, accusatory manner. Distraction through projection. This Houlton guy really is the perfect type of Trump assgoblin.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This should be the single most alarming news out of this admin. If it is not to you, you do not understand what freedom is.

It's amazing me how this has not set off a viral storm today.

This is a definitive step towards authoritarianism.

What are you worried about? Did you think MAGA could happen if the free press wasn't bullied and threatened into silence and drowned out by the vapid nothingness of fake state-supported propaganda?

Please....

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
So what you're saying is that everyone prior to Trump had no clue how to include "media influencers", whether they are on TV, radio, Youtube, FB, in their list that is outdated and has never been updated in recent memory...which in reality means it doesn't exist in the first place.

Sorry. Just doesn't play. What need is there for the government to generate a database of every journalist by political outlook or who the write for? Damn, you conservatives just are incredibly ignorant or willfully so. Resist registering gun owners but damn near create the same thing for journalists.

I was going to raise the issue of firearm registration from the other end, namely the same people horrified by the news of registering journalists seem OK with the idea of registering gun owners. Seems to me there's legitimate concern from both groups about what a government hostile to their proclivities might do with such a list if it were created.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Cool.

Say, DHS is putting together a list of all gun owners in this country, and every weapon that they own, where purchased, and their monthly ammo purchases. I'm sure you'd be cool with that. No biggie.

Care to register?

I was going to raise the issue of firearm registration from the other end, namely the same people horrified by the news of registering journalists seem OK with the idea of registering gun owners. Seems to me there's legitimate concern from both groups about what a government hostile to their proclivities might do with such a list if it were created.

WTF? None of that is happening.

IJTSSG

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2014
Cool.

Say, DHS is putting together a list of all gun owners in this country, and every weapon that they own, where purchased, and their monthly ammo purchases. I'm sure you'd be cool with that. No biggie.

Care to register?
I didn't comment on this, I simply posted a link to the rfp/sow.

I do not share the op's shrill response to this. It appears to be data in the public domain. As a security professional, I see the usefulness of this and my company uses a service similar to this. I do, however, grow a bit concerned when the .gov starts collecting data because I think there's a bigger risk of the data being 'lost' and misused. I have several letters from the OPM and .gov funded identity monitoring to qualify that concern so no I do not care to register my firearms.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I would surmise that DHS has already done this in secret but leaked such a plan so they could gauge public response to it. Having threat fusion centers in population dense areas suggests that they've already been conducting heightened surveillance on the public as a whole.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I didn't comment on this, I simply posted a link to the rfp/sow.

I do not share the op's shrill response to this. It appears to be data in the public domain. As a security professional, I see the usefulness of this and my company uses a service similar to this. I do, however, grow a bit concerned when the .gov starts collecting data because I think there's a bigger risk of the data being 'lost' and misused. I have several letters from the OPM and .gov funded identity monitoring to qualify that concern so no I do not care to register my firearms.
So you see usefulness of keeping a database of this type, but not for firearms. How unexpected.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
So you see usefulness of keeping a database of this type, but not for firearms. How unexpected.
The government always does things in secret but in order to maintain those secrets they have to openly play dumb. Firearms should be registered but R's vehemently oppose this as violating their rights elevating them above the rights of others, especially when they oppose their own views.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

journalists must be registered and monitored, because they aren't patriots, you see. They don't work to preserve anything free about this country--they only seek to destroy it.

Gun owners are all responsible patriots, you see. There is some magic that happens as soon as you spend a couple hundred bucks on a 1911 or coal black AR-15: the penis grows 4 inches instantly, and you become an unassailable freedom-defending patriot who is wholly above reproach, as God granted.

IJTSSG

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2014

journalists must be registered and monitored, because they aren't patriots, you see. They don't work to preserve anything free about this country--they only seek to destroy it.

Gun owners are all responsible patriots, you see. There is some magic that happens as soon as you spend a couple hundred bucks on a 1911 or coal black AR-15: the penis grows 4 inches instantly, and you become an unassailable freedom-defending patriot who is wholly above reproach, as God granted.

No one is advocating "registering and monitoring journalists". Why don't you two go jack each other off in private. Fvcking retards.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
No one is advocating "registering and monitoring journalists". Why don't you two go jack each other off in private. Fvcking retards.

Meanwhile, you're still too stupid to see you've been groomed to accept authoritarianism in the name of "freedom" "individual liberty" and "conservatism."

You're still too stupid to see you blindly accept policy and actions that are directly contrary to the core principles of ANY stated GOP/Conservative ideal.

The entire right-wing media cult has been programming you for years to accept authoritarianism while claiming to be conservative/libertarian/anarcho-capitalist.

Let's use Jordan Peterson for an example, shall we? He's the new Deepak Chopra of the right-wing:

"[Chaos is] what extends, eternally and without limit, beyond the boundaries of all states, all ideas, and all disciplines… It’s the foreigner, the stranger, the member of another gang, the rustle in the bushes… the hidden anger of your mother… Chaos is symbolically associated with the feminine… Order, by contrast, is explored territory. That’s the hundreds-of-millions-of-years-old hierarchy of place, position, and authority. That’s the structure of society. It’s the structure provided by biology, too…It’s the flag of the nation… It’s the greatness of tradition, the rows of desks in the school classroom, the trains that leave on time… In the domain of order, things behave as God intended."
And still, you people fall for this shit. Eat it up thinking it furthers your cause while all it really does is groom you to be compliant sheep to accept an authoritarian ruling class... in the name of conservatism, patriotism, religious reverence and freedom. For fuck's sake he even mentions the trains running on time. This shit is directly out of Hitler and Mussolini's playbooks.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Is Trump and Fox news going to be at the top of the list???

Really, of all the things Trump has done, his attempt to control the media, deflect from legitimate issues, and discredit any criticism is his most frightening. I would not go so far to say we are going to become a dictatorship, but it certainly is one of the first things a potential dictator does.

That doesn't frighten me as much as the following which has absolutely nothing to do with Donald Trump:

The rapid rise of oligarchy and wealth and income inequality is the great moral, economic, and political issue of our time. Yet, it gets almost no coverage from the corporate media.

How often do network newscasts report on the 40 million Americans living in poverty, or that we have the highest rate of childhood poverty of almost any major nation on earth? How often does the media discuss the reality that our society today is more unequal than at any time since the 1920s with the top 0.1% now owning almost as much wealth as the bottom 90%? How often have you heard the media report the stories of millions of people who today are working longer hours for lower wages than was the case some 40 years ago?

How often has ABC, CBS or NBC discussed the role that the Koch brothers and other billionaires play in creating a political system which allows the rich and the powerful to significantly control elections and the legislative process in Congress?

Sadly, the answer to these questions is: almost never. The corporate media has failed to let the American people fully understand the economic forces shaping their lives and causing many of them to work two or three jobs, while CEOs make hundreds of times more than they do. Instead, day after day, 24/7, we’re inundated with the relentless dramas of the Trump White House, Stormy Daniels, and the latest piece of political gossip.

We urgently need to discuss the reality of today’s economy and political system, and fight to create an economy that works for everyone and not just the one percent.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/16/corporate-media-oligarchy-bernie-sanders