HomeGroup Problem

Dasda

Jan 9, 2010
It works fine if I connect all computers using 1 router. However the problem occurs when I use 2 routers (the second one is my old router I am using as a switch).

I can't view the homegroup pc 1 (the main pc in the house) from pc2 (connected to old router that is being used as a switch). However I can view PC2 from PC1.

Also, If I click on networks tab, I see PC1 from PC2 but not under Homegroup tab.

My Laptop, that connects wirelessy using Router 1(main router) can see PC1 also.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I don't think I have done a good job explaining :confused:

Should I just stop being cheap and get a switch or is there a solution to this?

Thanks

Last edited:

Dasda

Jan 9, 2010
Thank You JackMDS.

I tried looking there and googling as well. I think I'll just buy a new switch next time a sale comes up. Hopefully that works, for now I'll just probably navigate through the "networks". The "homegroup" was much more convenient though. Especially for my parents to view photos on other pcs.

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
I'm sure it has to do with some of the settings in your old router. I'm using my old router (motorola wr850G) as a switch, and it took some time until it actually worked like a normal switch. In my case, I had to set my router to work as an access point instead of a router, then turn off everything (DHCP, as well as many other features) in the router. I can't even connect to to anymore to configure it (I'd have to hit the factory reset button to do that) but it works like a normal switch finally.

NewEgg has a basic 10/100Mb switch with a lot of decent reviews for $13 shipped, and around $27 for a Gb switch.