home theater seating input

KidNiki1

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2010
howdy!

i am looking for any input on home theater seating that people here might own. i'm looking at buying some, although not anytime soon (maybe a year out), and i just wanted to know what people who own some thought. i have also looked around at various sites and other recommendations. but more input is always good i think.

i am looking at something like this... FOR REFERENCE ONLY I AM NOT SET ON A BRAND.

definitely want something that reclines, power reclining maybe (idk how reliable they are)
cup holders for sure
tables would be cool as long as they arent janky

so, ATOTers, do you have this type of seating? if so, do you like it? does it suck? would you recommend?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Not direct advice, but please keep this in mnd. Two things. One, make sure your seating is not in the middle of the back wall and the screen. You'll get a bass deadspot. Ideal is 2/3 one way or the other. Second, if youre doing Atmos, Remember no matter how big your theater is, you only need 4 Atmos speakers. The rears should be set right over your main listening position. The forwards should be in between that and the front screen.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Our local cinema has a couple theatres with chairs like that - don't know if it's exact same models or brands but they look very close. They did some huge upgrades years back. I'd say they are pretty decent and have held up to commercial usage. I'm sure they get some abuse from kids jumping on them etc too. They were selling off the old chairs which were still half decent for cheap and I thought of getting some but don't really have room for them anywhere.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I went with a V|OOO|V setup when I got mine.

When I got it my wife wanted something that felt like a "couch" so that we could snuggle and stuff while watching movies. So my middle 3 seats kind of feel like a couch, although you don't really want to be sitting between two seats for very long, it's not that comfortable and if they are reclined differently it's even worse lol. So the only one without any kind of cup holder is the middle seat, which is where I sit any time I'm down there for the most part. But if it's just me and my wife or family, I just keep a cup in another cup holder and can reach over. If I have buddies over and we're watching games, then I just keep it in my lap. It's not a big deal at all if I have to do that.

I've had mine since like late 2012. They are all power recliner and they all still work perfectly fine. I found a pretty good deal and think I paid like $2200 shipped for the entire set of 5. They are brown leather and honestly they still feel pretty much as new as they do the day I got them, aside from the middle seat being a bit more "worn" and softer than the outter seats since they aren't used as often.

Sorry for the mess, I'm working on a new MAME PC for my KI2 cabinet so I got open PC parts and wires running all over for it.

e5kc2zF.jpg

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I went with a V|OOO|V setup when I got mine.

When I got it my wife wanted something that felt like a "couch" so that we could snuggle and stuff while watching movies. So my middle 3 seats kind of feel like a couch, although you don't really want to be sitting between two seats for very long, it's not that comfortable and if they are reclined differently it's even worse lol. So the only one without any kind of cup holder is the middle seat, which is where I sit any time I'm down there for the most part. But if it's just me and my wife or family, I just keep a cup in another cup holder and can reach over. If I have buddies over and we're watching games, then I just keep it in my lap. It's not a big deal at all if I have to do that.

I've had mine since like late 2012. They are all power recliner and they all still work perfectly fine. I found a pretty good deal and think I paid like $2200 shipped for the entire set of 5. They are brown leather and honestly they still feel pretty much as new as they do the day I got them, aside from the middle seat being a bit more "worn" and softer than the outter seats since they aren't used as often.

Sorry for the mess, I'm working on a new MAME PC for my KI2 cabinet so I got open PC parts and wires running all over for it.

e5kc2zF.jpg

I see your dirty dancing poster! :)

Do you guys have the time of your life down there?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I see your dirty dancing poster! :)

Do you guys have the time of your life down there?
I have 5 of those down there that I made. Wife got to pick 1 and that was the one she picked.

Trust me I've gotten a lot of shit about it from everyone.

I also don't have trays in my seats and have never had a need/want for one. I don't really eat meals down there but if I grill before a game or something and need something to set a plate on, I will just put the footrest up and sit upright with legs over it while I eat and it's like a little table.

I also think there is zero use to pay for USB chargers lol. I mean unless they all come with em now a days, then sure that is cool but like if it's extra? Yeah not worth it at least to me. I also think the lights on the chairs and underneath are completely pointless. The last thing you want in a home theater is more light, although they aren't really in direct line of site. Again, something I would never pay extra for or anything but if they are standard then sure.

Last edited:

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
We have el cheapo dual realining loveseat with center console and dual cupholders from generic furnature store. Lasted ok for a few years, but poor quality and falling apart now.

Im casually looking to eventually upgrade, but, too cheap to spend any real money on it ... so i just sit on my broken recliners like char, and have an ottoman.

Lazyboy seems to still be good maybe? My grandma hasnt been happy with them over the last 10ish or so years, but, seems like their stuff at least uses metal linkages and connections to the cables, and the frames seem sturdy...

I wish furniture store let you disassemble / remove all the outer layers so you could see the frame, and all the mechanical bits and electronic bits and how everything goes together, and exactly what its made of, and how to order replacement parts, and how to easily disassemble and repair any/all problems so that the chair will last like 1000 years instead of having to buy new stuff every 5-10 years when old stuff breaks.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I wish furniture store let you disassemble / remove all the outer layers so you could see the frame, and all the mechanical bits and electronic bits and how everything goes together, and exactly what its made of, and how to order replacement parts, and how to easily disassemble and repair any/all problems so that the chair will last like 1000 years instead of having to buy new stuff every 5-10 years when old stuff breaks.

Same, I wish this was the case for all products. At least provide schematics, bill of materials, and a way to order parts. I hate this throw away society we live in.

Reactions: BudAshes

KidNiki1

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2010
I also don't have trays in my seats and have never had a need/want for one. I don't really eat meals down there but if I grill before a game or something and need something to set a plate on, I will just put the footrest up and sit upright with legs over it while I eat and it's like a little table.

I also think there is zero use to pay for USB chargers lol. I mean unless they all come with em now a days, then sure that is cool but like if it's extra? Yeah not worth it at least to me. I also think the lights on the chairs and underneath are completely pointless. The last thing you want in a home theater is more light, although they aren't really in direct line of site. Again, something I would never pay extra for or anything but if they are standard then sure.

well, with regard to trays, i think on a lot of them, the trays are free. and since our house is really small, and this isnt going in a dedicated movie room like you have, for free, i'll take em. (we basically only have one combo living/dining/common room and a kitchen area lol, so a lot of dinner time is also tv time.)

the lighting seems to be included on a lot of models, but is something you can turn off. the usb chargers seem to be also fairly commonly included on power reclining models i have looked at.

like i said, im not getting that specific model, i just wanted to know if people who have something similar have gotten good use out of them and found them durable. from your other post, sounds like they are. :)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
well, with regard to trays, i think on a lot of them, the trays are free. and since our house is really small, and this isnt going in a dedicated movie room like you have, for free, i'll take em. (we basically only have one combo living/dining/common room and a kitchen area lol, so a lot of dinner time is also tv time.)

the lighting seems to be included on a lot of models, but is something you can turn off. the usb chargers seem to be also fairly commonly included on power reclining models i have looked at.

like i said, im not getting that specific model, i just wanted to know if people who have something similar have gotten good use out of them and found them durable. from your other post, sounds like they are. :)
Yeah I hear you. Remember too I got mine like a decade ago when a lot of this shit was not standard. I'm not surprised USB chargers are standard lol. And yeah, I can see trays being useful for sure and if they are included without extra price, go for it for sure.

A quick google search shows the chairs I have are old as hell and I don't even think they make em anymore lol.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I have 2 home theater rooms, really....but didn't ever bother with the sound system and then opted to stick with wall-mount TVs for cost (since they're more disposable and can be replaced cheaper every 4-5 years).

For seating, my only warning is that too many custom chairs are coming out of China these days that are made with crap plywood. I've had 2-3 recliners totally breakdown in less than 2 years because the glue in the plywood failed and caused parts of the chairs to break apart, but I paid very little for them. My primary seating in my primary theater room is actually a $5500 Ethan Allen custom sectional sofa and it's the best.

I would probably check with Magnolia because you may be able to return stuff or get assistance if you have a problem. They seem to like RowOne Brand:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Another thing to consider is the recline. Think about where your tv or screen will be and what angle the recline leaves your head at. If there isn't an adjustable headrest you may find it to be an awkward angle when reclined.

We opted for powered recline, cup holders and a center console one one but no charger or lights. I personally don't like leather furniture but that's a personal preference thing. If is a powered recliner think about where the cord to power it will have to run.

PXL_20220701_004443269.jpg

Reactions: Kaido and KidNiki1

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You'll probably get much better responses and maybe even a deal from a vendor through AVSForum.com

They have a sticky thread with a whole list of HT seat manufactures.

Theater Room Items & Accessories | AVS Forum
This is actually how I got mine - from some random vendor on AVS telling me to contact him. Hell I could give you his contact info if you want OP I have no clue if he's still doing it or not though. It is a guy named Roman and he was from AVS. Looking back at old emails, the brand Palliser was one that came highly recommended from a local guy.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Seeing these setups makes me want a dedicated home theatre. My living room is not that great of a layout for full enjoyment of a movie, I improved it by removing the fireplace so I can actually put the couch in front of the TV but it's still not perfect and I don't really have a way to do a proper sound setup either.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
This is actually how I got mine - from some random vendor on AVS telling me to contact him. Hell I could give you his contact info if you want OP I have no clue if he's still doing it or not though. It is a guy named Roman and he was from AVS. Looking back at old emails, the brand Palliser was one that came highly recommended from a local guy.

Wow.... been quite awhile since I visited that forum! (like years)

I wonder if my login still works? :D

Jun 18, 2022

:beercheers: That's cool you got a deal. I got some good deals on DIYSoundGroup and Stereo Integrity gear.

Ended up with a 7.2.4 setup, bunch of Crown and Outlaw Audio amps, Pre-pro Marantz, 4K projector, Mid-Bass modules and 18" HSTs.

I highly recommend it, but wow it can get addictive and pricey, lol. Never fails to put a smile on the face of my son's friends when they visit or spend the night, lol.

KidNiki1

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2010
You'll probably get much better responses and maybe even a deal from a vendor through AVSForum.com

They have a sticky thread with a whole list of HT seat manufactures.

Theater Room Items & Accessories | AVS Forum

like i said in my original post, "i have also looked around at various sites and other recommendations. but more input is always good i think. "
i like (most of) the people here so i just wanted to ask around in a forum where i know the members just a sliver more than total randos :)
i have looked at AVS already, but i appreciate the input.

anyway, it is probably all moot at this point, since i measured the room, and basically, i dont think any row seat like this will even fit without basically blocking off access to the rest of the house.

/sad trombone noises.

thanks to everyone for the input though! :)

Nov 29, 2006
Roman is still around and selling.