Home Theater Components, Purchase Help Needed!

konquistador

Aug 18, 2016
Hi all Audiophiles, i am new to the home theater world. I have been doing some reading online for last couple days and its so overwhelming to look at the different options/tech available. Can you please provide some recommendations?
I bought a brand new home with finished upper level and an unfinished basement, and the contractor is finishing up the basement now. I want to build a Media room and spoke to my local home theater store to come and do the pre-wire install for 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos. But i wanted some recommendations from you Pros on what components to purchase.

Is it better to purchase a 'Home Theater In a Box' all from the same brand(like Pioneer or onkyo etc)
(or )
Should i do Mix and match speaker brands to get better bang for the buck.

Required Setup: Based on what i read so far I was planning to go for a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 (although i pre-wired for a 7.1.4 setup).
Room Dimensions: 12 feet Wide wall * 20 Feet Long * 8 Height. Seating to be near 14 feet with a 106 inch screen on the wall.
Type of Media: Listen to mostly Folk Metal/Nu Metal/Electronic Dance Music. Wife likes to watch movies/TV Shows(Mostly HD/4k Content from Netflix/Amazon Prime)
Budget: 10K is approved from Wifey, but can go upto 15K. I am ok to spend a premium for components that i can take along with me if i sell my home 5 years down the lane. But for anything which will stay in home, i dont want to go that crazy.

Here is what i found from my google research so far. Don't have a clue if all these individual components are compatible with each other though.

1) Speakers

Listener Level Surroud Package: Which one do you recommend?

a) SVS prime-tower-surround-system (Comes with 2 Towers, 1 Center and 2 satellite Surround): $1550
b) ELAC Uni-fi (2 UF5 Floorstanding Speakers, 1 UC5 Center, 2 UB5 bookshelf) : $1850
c) Sonus Faber Chameleon T( 2 Floorstanding speakers, 1 Center, 2 Bookshelf) : $3450

Overhead/Height(Dolby): I am going to pick Discrete speakers In ceiling as i have wiring. Which ones do you recommend?

a) Klipsch CDT-5800-C II 8" In-Ceiling Pivoting Speaker - $399 * 2 = $800
b) Definitive Technology UEUA/Di 6.5R Round In-ceiling Speaker - $134 * 2 = $268
c) Bose Virtually Invisible 191 Speakers (Pair) = $298.

Subwoofer:
a) Klipsch R-115SW 800W Powered 15" Subwoofer: $900
b) svsound pb-2000 : $800
c) Sumiko S.9 : $1000
d) HSU - VTF-15H MK2: $1000

2) A/V receiver (AVR) capable of Dolby Atmos:
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A860($900)
or
Denon AVR-X4100W($1500)
or
Should i go for a Integrated Amplifier from McIntosh Labs(Used) like MCINTOSH MA5200. I heard Macs last for a long time and i can get Used Mac equipment online on websites like audioclassics.com

3) Projector:
Epson Home Cinema 5030UB 1080p 3D 3LCD Home Theater Projector($2000)
or
Sony VPL HW45ES ‑ 3D 1080p SXRD Projector($2000)
or
Epson Home Cinema 5040UB 3LCD Home Theater Projector with 4K Enhancement, HDR and Wide Color Gamut. Soon to be released? ($3000).
or
JVC - Procision 4K e-shift4 D-ILA Projector - Black($4000)

4) Blu-Ray Player to play Dolby content:
OPPO BDP-103($499)

5) Projector Screen: Not sure which brand is good for projector screens. Cannot find a lot of info on these on google.
16:9 106-inch, Gray Fabric Tab-Tensioned Motorized Projection Screen from Monoprice($950).
or
Elite Screens Spectrum Tab-Tension, 100-inch 16:9, 4K Tensioned Electric Motorized Projection ProjectorScreen, Electric100HT($500)

6) Power Surge. Not sure which ones are good?

7) Control 4 or Logitech Remote: $500

8) Do i need a Dolby surround upmixer as well? I heard there is very less native dolby cotent available and with these upmixers i can upscale audio, but wondering if is it worth it? or should i just look for a good AV Receivers that upscale as well?

Sorry for the lengthy question. Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kon

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
1) non of those - before I suggest anything - how do you feel about buying used?
2) the denon
3) Panasonic AE8000 - prob the best sub 2k PJ - http://www.projectorpeople.com/Panasonic-PTAE8000U/Projector/27643 - if you want 4k the JVC is solid
4) cant go wrong with an oppo
5) I would go fixed screen, elite is a solid brand, however I would go 120" and acoustically transparent
6) A) do a whole house one and b) panamax and tripplite
7) whatever your pref, I have a Logitech
8) if you get an atmos AVR it should do this for you

Last edited:

konquistador

Aug 18, 2016
Anubis, thanks for the reply. I can go 'Used' . Any reliable website that sells used speakers and offers support ? Please advise.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
what I meant by used would not have support you would be buying from someone (personal sale) you can get fantastic deals if you are willing just ask @purebeast, and most manuf will offer support as warranty's transfer - but its not for everyone

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
iirc the denon 4100 is not hdcp 2.2, therefore will not pass copyright 4k
step up to the 4200, or the to be announced 4300

also, check out avsfoums, they know thier stuff over there

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
1) Speakers

Listener Level Surroud Package: Which one do you recommend?

a) SVS prime-tower-surround-system (Comes with 2 Towers, 1 Center and 2 satellite Surround): $1550
With a nice sub you don't need subs. Consider the Ultra Bookshelves and Center. A center and sub are the two most important speakers for HT and those bookshelves will do better with music than the Prime Tower.

Also take a look at Ascend Acoustics. A trio of 340s across with front and 170's or 200's for surround would be a great set-up. Also have the option of custom stands for the 340's that give you the tower look.

Overhead/Height(Dolby): I am going to pick Discrete speakers In ceiling as i have wiring. Which ones do you recommend?

Try to pick a tweeter style that matched what you choose for you main speakers for a more seamless experience.

Subwoofer:

d) HSU - VTF-15H MK2: $1000

Best of the list by far. Also consider PSA. They were started by some of the folks that started SVS. I have an VTF-3 MK5 and love it. I would still get the 15H due to the customization aspects of it but PSA has some awesome subs as well.

2) A/V receiver (AVR) capable of Dolby Atmos:
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A860($900)
or
Denon AVR-X4100W($1500)
or
Should i go for a Integrated Amplifier from McIntosh Labs(Used) like MCINTOSH MA5200. I heard Macs last for a long time and i can get Used Mac equipment online on websites like audioclassics.com

The Denon won't pass a 4K signal, so of the two the Yamaha. I would stick with Denon of Marantz for the better room correction software. You can get a refurb Marantz 6010 for $900 from accessories4less.

3) Projector:
No clue.

4) Blu-Ray Player to play Dolby content:
OPPO BDP-103($499)
Can't go wrong here but may consider waiting for their 4K player.

5) Projector Screen:

No clue.

6) Power Surge. Not sure which ones are good?

7) Control 4 or Logitech Remote: $500
I like my Logitech Hub but have never used the Control.
8) Do i need a Dolby surround upmixer as well? I heard there is very less native dolby cotent available and with these upmixers i can upscale audio, but wondering if is it worth it? or should i just look for a good AV Receivers that upscale as well?
Your receiver should be able to take care of this.

Thanks,
Kon

See above.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
lol, meant towers. With a good sub you don't ned towers and bookshelves will do just fine. Typically a tower and bookshelf speaker of the same price you will get better overall sound from the bookshelf since more money is put into the drivers and crossover since less is needed on additional cabinet and drivers.

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
1. I'd opt for ELAC. I think the SVS PB subs are good. Home built is a better value, but they don't tune quite as low for home theater. Height speakers aren't used all that much...so I wouldn't worry about spending too much to "match" your mains. Your LCR are the important speakers.

2. My vote is the Aventage and an actual amplifier like the Outlaw Model 5000. The nice thing about the upper end Aventage series is they have flat outputs so they can act like preamps.

3. I like Epsons...just know that they have input lag so no gaming. The other negative is they have a bit of blur. Highly noticeable when I switch from my plasma.

4. Best BD player that can do 4k also is the Xbox One S. Cheaper than the Oppo. The Oppo is only worth it if you want to use it to decode to analog rather than use your receiver/preamp. The Xbox One S will work for all your digital streaming too. Really, until prices come down on 4k BD players...there's no reason to buy any 4k BD player than the Xbox One S.

5. Fixed screen is best, especially since you don't seem to have a TV behind it. I recommend you spend for a quality screen as it will last you longer than just about any other part of your home theater. You don't mention if your room has good light control. Good light control is a must if you plan on spending for a higher end screen. Otherwise, you won't gain much by spending more on your screen.

6. Just get a good computer one. Stay away from crap like Monster.

7. Logitech makes good remotes. I'm not sure the $500 one is worth it. I have the Harmony 650 and it works just fine. Depends on your number of components and how spread out they are.

8. No.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
4. Best BD player that can do 4k also is the Xbox One S. Cheaper than the Oppo. The Oppo is only worth it if you want to use it to decode to analog rather than use your receiver/preamp. The Xbox One S will work for all your digital streaming too. Really, until prices come down on 4k BD players...there's no reason to buy any 4k BD player than the Xbox One S.

He wants Atmos and the S won't do atmos. It could with a software update but I wouldn't count on it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Turning on a console and using an "app" to watch a movie is really dumb. I have been going through it since my bluray player shit the bed.

I was trying to watch a movie on my XB1 and I didn't even have the app that you need to play it. I didn't have it hooked to the net at the time so I had to hook it up to the net just to download the bluray player app. Then I had to run the app to watch a movie.

PS4 is a little better in that you don't need an app (I don't think unless I had it already) and you can power it on then just press "play movie". However it still is not as fast as booting up a standalone, and then you have to use a controller to navigate instead of a remote.

I'd strongly recommend a standalone over a console for bluray.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Not sure how the quality is with the Xbox One S at 4K as at 1080p blu ray the standard xbox one is not that great. I have been nothing but disappointed with both my Xbox One and PS4 blu ray playback video quality. Compared to a standalone br player they just don't compete to my eyes and many others.

I have a couple of Sony BR players (standard 1080p HD and a 4k upscale unit) and they are both far superior to the Xbone. I'd love to see how the Xbox One S performs but I'm not really willing to buy it.

Also I will vote on the Elite Screen because I have one and it kicks butt. I have a 120" fixed frame screen and it is just amazing.

I will also comment on Epson HD projectors; they rock and mine is awesome for games. No issues at all. But from your list and if you want 4K the the JVC is the way to go.

I would look at a 9.2 or 9.1 atmos ready receiver as well. That way you can do 7.1.2 instead of 5.1.2 from a 7.2 or 7.1 receiver. If you are willing to shell out around $1500 that is. Or you could go 5.1.4 of course.

Speakers: Well I see the point of going with book shelves up front since you will have a sub but IMO full sized up front sound better even with a sub. leave the small speakers for the rear and ceiling.

For subs I prefer Velodyne and Hsu Research. I like running two subs and if you want the option you should get a receiver that does 2 subs.

Good luck!!

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Just wanted to touch on a few things.

First your sub. With a room that large in length you'll probably need some power from the subwoofer. By that I mean dual subs to fill the room and eliminate any nulls (spots that get little or no bass) and get a smooth response. Look into options like the JTR Captivator 1400 or Power Sound Audio v1500 or v1800 or two of the HSU VTF15-H mk.2 you listed. Two subwoofers are always better than one. JTR and PSA also have some of the best support and warranties in the industry. I have a PSA 15v in my game room and am at reference level output at 16hz. My room is small though compared to yours so you definitely want two. If you are handy with tools you can build your own subs. there are pre-fabricated kits you can buy and just have to assemble and choose an amp and driver. AVSForum has a whole section dedicated to this. You can build a couple subs for half the cost of two commercial subs but it's up to you. There is something to be said about the warranty and service offered when you buy a commercial sub.

Second the AVR. The ones you listed cannot go to 7.1.4. The Denon x4200w(~$800) can go to 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 but it requires an external amplifier connected to the pre-outs of the AVR to power the second height channel. If you stay within the Denon brand the lowest end model that can do 7.1.4 or 9.1.2(using wide instead of height channels) is the x6200w(~$2000) with the addition of an external amp for the second set of overhead (or wide) speakers. Both will offer Dolby Surround Upmixing and DTS:Neural X support. They will also have the better Audyssey XT32 with SubEQ so they can time align two subwoofers in a room.

Third the Projector. If you are interested in 4k, the JVC RS400,500,600 are good models that people are using. They support HDR as well so you could also get a UHD Blu-Ray player and start enjoying 4k HDR. The reason I mention this is because almost all new movies will only have the Dolby Atmos or DTS:X mix on the UHD disc. If you don't have a UHD player and purchase the UHD disc you won't get the immersive audio(7.1.4) and be limited to the standard TrueHD or DTS:HD MA 7.1 tracks.

Also a word on your speakers, your front LCR is the mainstay of any home theater. You have more of the work being done by the front 3 than any other speaker you purchase. Especially the center as nearly all dialog comes from the center and it locks in your front presence. Don't skimp on the fronts. That said, those Elac speakers are no slouch. I have the lower end Elac LCR (F5 x2 and C5). For the money they are a great value. I have heard the UniFi line and they are excellent, they even do very well with music and feel very spacious.

Last edited: