Home Theater Buildout Recommendations

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Hello, I'm a bit overwhelmed and confused on how to build my ultimate home theatre. Each B&M store I go to gives me conflicting recommendations so I figured I'll go it alone and let the "experts" help me out. I have a few components that I believe will be a great start but have no clue where to go from here. I've listed out everything below and would love to hear everyone's recommendations.

Goal:
  • Dolby Atmos - DTS:X setup for 50% Movies - 25% Music - 25% Gaming
    • 11.2? 9.2? 7.4? I'm lost!
  • Easy enough for the entire family to use
  • Single room, no plans on expanding to multi room anytime soon.
  • Reasonably priced equipment.
Current Room:
  • 19" X 21"
  • 100% Blacked out, no windows.
  • Challenging part is the ceiling, 1/2 the room is 7ft, 1/2 the room is 11ft. (I know, very odd heights)
  • Hardwood floors
Starting equipment:
  • AV Receiver:
    • Pioneer - Elite 2200W 11.2-Ch. Network-Ready 4K Ultra HD 3D Pass-Through A/V Home Theater Receiver
    • Model:SCLX901
      • Product Details:
        • Number Of Audio Zones: 3
        • Surround Sound Supported: DTS Neo:X|DTS X|DTS-HD MA|Dolby Atmos|Dolby Digital Plus|Dolby TrueHD
        • Total Power Handling: 2200 watts
        • Maximum Bit Rate Supported: 24 kilobits per second
        • Maximum Sampling Rate Supported: 192
        • Speaker A/B Switching: Yes
        • Receiver Type: A/V
        • Equalizer: Yes
        • Video Up Conversion: Yes
        • 4K Ultra HD Compatible: Yes
        • 3D-Ready: Yes
        • High Resolution Audio: Yes
        • Digital Content Protection: HDCP 2.2
        • Auto Calibration: Yes
        • Wireless Multi-Room Audio: Yes
        • Wireless Multi-Room Technology: Apple AirPlay|Google Cast
        • Wi-Fi Built-in: Yes
        • Speaker Connection Type: Other
        • Number of HDMI Inputs: 8
        • Number Of USB Inputs: 1
        • Number of Component Video Inputs: 2
        • Number Of Auxiliary Inputs: 7
        • Number of HDMI Outputs: 2
  • Current Speakers:
    • Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-70B-1 Floor standing Speakers (2)
      • Dual 6 ½" Kevlar woofers using Energy's patented ribbed elliptical surround
      • Chambered 1" aluminum dome tweeter
      • Chambered 5 ½" midrange
      • Speaker System: Bass Reflex, Rear Vented
      • Recommended Amp Power: up to 250 watts RMS
      • Impedance: 8 ohms nominal
      • Minimum Impedance: 4 ohms
      • Frequency response: 35Hz-23000Hz +/- 3dB
      • Usable Bass Response: -10dB Anechoic @ 25Hz
      • Anechoic Sensitivity: 91dB
      • 2 speakers in a typical room: 94dB
      • Crossover Points: 600Hz, 2.4kHz
      • Operating Range: Tweeter: 1.5kHz and > , Midrange: 500Hz-3kHz, Woofers 1 and 2:~ to 800Hz
    • Energy Reference Connoisseur RC-LCR Center Speaker
      • Speaker System: Bass Reflex, Dual Rear Vented
      • Recommended Amplifier Power: 200 watts RMS
      • Impedance: 8 ohms
      • Minimum Impedance: 4 ohm
      • Frequency response: 52Hz-23000Hz +/- 3dB
    • Klipsch RW12D 12-inch Reference Subwoofer
      • Frequency Response 24-120Hz +/-3dB
      • Amplifier Power FTC Rated Power - 350 watts continuous @ <2% THD / Dynamic Power - 825 watts
      • Maximum Acoustic Output 116dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1m
      • Drive Components 12 (30.5cm) Cerametallic cone, front-firing woofer
      • Amplifier BASH digital hybrid

Thanks to anyone who wants to help me out!!!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You're gonna want to put carpet in that room otherwise you are going to have sound reflecting all over the place.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
i would change the receiver
something with pre outs
for that many channels you may want to go with amps someday

marantz would be my choice

Reactions: rchunter

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Thanks everyone, I've been traveling and haven't been able to start on this.

What is your budget?
  • Nothing too crazy but I'm not scared of spending a little extra to do everything right. If I could build it all for between $5K - $10K I'd be happy. Less of course if no benefit.
TV or projector?
  • I'm set on the display. I'm running a:
    • QN75Q8CAMFXZA
    • 75" Class Q8C Curved QLED 4K TV

Do you plan on using your current speakers, or going with all new?
  • I prefer keeping the few I have now. I'm more than happy\impressed with the sound quality.
For more info on Atmos, look below:
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/brands/dolby-atmos.html

• I've read everything on the Dolby site along with any other info I could find.

You're gonna want to put carpet in that room otherwise you are going to have sound reflecting all over the place.
  • Thank you and I 100% agree.

i would change the receiver
something with pre outs
for that many channels you may want to go with amps someday
marantz would be my choice

• Any specific reason to move to a different receiver besides future possible upgrades? I can't see me upgrading whatever setup I settle on for many years after, at which time I'm sure I'd build from the ground up again.
  • Marantz is loved by many but I've have 2 duds from them and my experience with their customer service was poor to say the least.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Two things:

1. Get the largest screen that the room will fit....the impact is just so worth it. (TV or Projector)
2. Sub-woofer: big fat sub-woofer and lots of them....the impact again.

Your receiver seems more then fine. A good 7.4 speaker setup will have you in audio nirvana. If you can install ceiling speakers definitely do so it will add the proper height to the audio sound stage.

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
I would upgrade to better speakers and dual subs before worrying about changing receivers.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
I would upgrade to better speakers and dual subs before worrying about changing receivers.

Dual subs, absolutely, upgrading from the Energy RC's? Any suggestions? I couldn't find a tighter, full ranging, clearer sounding setup a couple years back when I settled on these. I looked at dozens ranging in price from 1/5th of these to 10X and couldn't be more satisfied.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Two things:

1. Get the largest screen that the room will fit....the impact is just so worth it. (TV or Projector)
2. Sub-woofer: big fat sub-woofer and lots of them....the impact again.

Your receiver seems more then fine. A good 7.4 speaker setup will have you in audio nirvana. If you can install ceiling speakers definitely do so it will add the proper height to the audio sound stage.

Since I'm needed to keep this as a family friendly setup I think the 75" is where I'll have to leave it.

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
Dual subs, absolutely, upgrading from the Energy RC's? Any suggestions? I couldn't find a tighter, full ranging, clearer sounding setup a couple years back when I settled on these. I looked at dozens ranging in price from 1/5th of these to 10X and couldn't be more satisfied.

If you like them that's really all that matters. I have no suggestions, I'm sure they are great speakers.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Since I'm needed to keep this as a family friendly setup I think the 75" is where I'll have to leave it.

75" is big for a TV but small for a projector setup. It should be OK for movie night and sports though.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
1. The Samsung QN8 while great, is so expensive compared to the competition dont get it unless its around ~3k (currently on sale for 3500, reg $4500). The Sony 900f 75" regular price is $3500 and will go on sale for less. If you can wait to purchase, get it around bf-christmas for the discount. https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews for you to pick and choose.
1. b. Projector, if you end up wanting to go this route there are a lot of options, a Epson 5040 ($2300) with nice 120" ALR screen (up to $1500) will work pretty well if you dont have light control.
2. Get a Denon 4300/4400, can be had for $800 in during a sale. It allows for 9.2 audio and expands to 11.2 with amps for full 7.2.4 if you can get in ceiling atmos done.
3. Depending on your budget and size of front stage, look into the PowerSoundAudio brand. 2x MTM-210, MTM-210C, 4xMT-110, that set of 7 is $5324 and while expensive, will outshine a lot of speakers.
4. If you dont like bass, then many discount brands would suffice. If you want bass however, you want to go big or go home. You cant go wrong with a lower tier HSU, SVS, or other internet brand. But if you want big bass for just a little more, dual PSA V1510 or S1510 (or bigger) depending on your preference will get you very far. Why dual subs? Because it helps with frequency nulls that are unique to your room, more is better.
5. Atmos speakers, depending on what you want and how many speakers you decide on it could range from $50-500 each. Ceiling speakers are better, but the reflective ones that bounce off the ceiling are decent enough. Ceiling speakers require wiring which might not be easily doable for you unless you rebuild parts of the room. This can be added later probably.
6. No one has mentioned this yet, Buttkicker. They are large vibrators you screw to your couch which take the place of large subwoofers to give the tactile feel from infrasonic noises. It cannot replace the room compression and dynamics that you experience with a large subwoofer but sometimes thats the whole point, tactile but no pissed off neighbors.

DIY speakers are great and will save a few bucks but you may or may not be handy enough to do them. There are kits which can fit any budget and make building super easy, like literally boxes cut, all you do is clamp screw glue and paint. Will get into more detail if you want.

Room treatments will help a lot with reflections and can be added at later points, they get put in reflection points on your walls. I have built my own for $25 a piece for a 2'x4' and spread them throughout my living room. https://i.imgur.com/maY5F0o.jpg These are the ones Im currently building and are super easy as anyone with a saw and screw driver can do it. Its silly to buy them when anyone can build themselves for 1/4 the cost. Rugs and furnishings help with reflections too. Sound isolation pads on subs will help reduce random floor vibrations.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Keep the Energy RC if you like the sound. Same with receiver. Need to add a few atmos speakers.

You should add two 15" sub at least for such big space.

75' will look puny with a 19' wide wall. Projector will give you much bigger display. Think 16' x 9' screen, giving you 183" diagonal. You'll need high lumen 4k projector or short throw projector.
Pay attention to mounting distance and height requirements. Projector central has a calculator to help with that, it also shows you if the target size gets enough lumens. Problem is it requires flash...

Go to a real av shop and not BB.
Need to do sound dampening on wall and floor.

Are you handy at all? Diy sonotube sub is a very good bang for buck solution.

Or IB sub
http://ibsubwoofers.proboards.com

Get a harmony and program it for your family

Last edited: