Home Network and OpenVPN w/ Untangle Router

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I recently gave my home network a much needed upgrade, replacing my modem, router, and firewall. Everything has been working perfect, for the most part, but I wanted to inquire about setting up a OpenVPN server so that I could use RDP and monitor some systems while I'm away on vacation--if possible. I'd rather not use PPTP.

I suppose my inquiries are about OpenVPN itself, so I'll start there. I can easily install the server on my Untangle router/firewall but I think I'm getting confused as to what the setup is looking for. My knowledge on how VPN works is okay, but more often than not I'm left scratching my head when it doesn't work.

From what I gather, you enable the OpenVPN service on the router OS (32bit Untangle in my case) and then add clients that connect to the server. However, what are the "clients?" Are they outside networks or simply profiles associated by or with email addresses? Once I have the server running, I know that the server login credentials look to be distributed but is that just so a "client" can be emailed the certificate and be able to connect to the server remotely? I also know that there are some Windows Firewall rules that need to be adjusted, but I'm not quite there yet.

Also, in order to connect to the OpenVPN server outside of my home I need client software on remote computers, correct? I can deal with that fine, but I'm just not understanding the setup 100%. In theory, I should be able to enable the OpenVPN server, add some IP addresses of external networks, and then download and install the configuration files that the server hands out, right?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
I recently gave my home network a much needed upgrade, replacing my modem, router, and firewall. Everything has been working perfect, for the most part, but I wanted to inquire about setting up a OpenVPN server so that I could use RDP and monitor some systems while I'm away on vacation--if possible. I'd rather not use PPTP.

I suppose my inquiries are about OpenVPN itself, so I'll start there. I can easily install the server on my Untangle router/firewall but I think I'm getting confused as to what the setup is looking for. My knowledge on how VPN works is okay, but more often than not I'm left scratching my head when it doesn't work.

From what I gather, you enable the OpenVPN service on the router OS (32bit Untangle in my case) and then add clients that connect to the server. However, what are the "clients?" Are they outside networks or simply profiles associated by or with email addresses? Once I have the server running, I know that the server login credentials look to be distributed but is that just so a "client" can be emailed the certificate and be able to connect to the server remotely? I also know that there are some Windows Firewall rules that need to be adjusted, but I'm not quite there yet.

Also, in order to connect to the OpenVPN server outside of my home I need client software on remote computers, correct? I can deal with that fine, but I'm just not understanding the setup 100%. In theory, I should be able to enable the OpenVPN server, add some IP addresses of external networks, and then download and install the configuration files that the server hands out, right?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Untangle has a great set of forums that should be able to help. That said, your thinking is correct. There is an OpenVPN app available with Untangle that acts as the gateway into your network. You would install and configure that app on the Untangle box. Once it's configured, it will provide options to build profiles to be installed on clients to facilitate the connection back to your home network when you're traveling.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Ok, thanks. That is sort of what I figured it was doing but the app/plugin on Untangle assumes a slightly more savvy/experienced user lol.

I've been doing a lot of digging on their forums so I will continue to do so; I think I have an account on there already from when I first started using it. I'll post back once I get it running and maybe someone else will be able to benefit from doing so. I've been trying to set it up for weeks... :confused:

EDIT: I may actually be able to log into my home network through my Untangle account... which would certainly make testing this a whole lot easier.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I think I'm close... but hit a snag. Ran through the OpenVPN setup through Untangle app and generated some certs to use remotely but I don't think remote clients can connect to the server. It keeps timing out when processing the .ovpn file.

I forwarded the ports on my router (Untangle) but what should the destination address be? Would that be my gateway or another computer on my home network? My Untangle WAN is configured with my public IP address, if that helps. Untangle also handles DHCP on my network starting with 192.168.1.100 and that's been working excellent. I remember reading about setting public access differently in Untangle but I think my configuration doesn't call for that.

At least I made a little progress...