Home LAN & WIFI Network

Networksupport

May 6, 2017
I need help designing a network.

ISP 1 (Fiber) to ISP Router - A wireless network and LAN network to be created
Off the ISP1 router a VPN router is connected and on the back of that a second VPN router.
I need:
1. ISP1 - wireless & LAN network
2. VPN - wireless & LAN network
3 VPN - wireless & LAN network

I then have a second ISP (ADSL) that should be a backup.

Also I will need wireless access points as walls are thick, so wondering if I can create a wireless network that transmits all 4 wireless networks or do I need to have access points for each network?

Appreciate any help, confusing I know.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Most business WAP's will do multiple SSIDs as well many consumer grade ones. Why two separate VPN routers and 3 networks?

Networksupport

May 6, 2017
Bulgarian Internet for home Wifi & Digital TV connection
VPN for work (Netherlands)
UK VPN for access to UK sites

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
OK, so you actually only have 1 network, you just need to be able to VPN to two separate places. Unless your work requires a dedicated router or your advertise to swapping a cable when your primary internet is down, I'm not seeing a need for two routers. Are you buying new hardware or are you needing help getting existing hardware working?

Networksupport

May 6, 2017
I have a fiber coming into the house which is connected to a router provided by the ISP as the main internet source. This connects to my Digi TV Box and provides wifi.

I then have a Router provided by my UK VPN provider. This plugs into the ISP router. This provides me with a VPN to the UK which I use wifi for mobile devices when wanting to access sites in the UK that are blocked here. It also is connected to my UK TV box allowing me to watch UK TV over VPN. The VPN is pre-configured on the box that came from UK VPN provider.

I then plug my work Router into the UK VPN router. This is a pre-configured box from my employer. I use this for work VPN over wifi as well as over LAN.

Challenge is that none of the Wifi can cover the whole house so I want to set up access points in each room and run everything from a central cabinet. I will also have Cat 7 run throughout the house.

I hope that helps. I will need to buy access points and I guess a wifi controller or something. I also assume that by plugging my work router to the UK router (rather than ISP router) that it actually shows a UK IP address as a point of origin for the work router.

In summary, I need a network that allows me to access all of the above in every room both wifi and LAN connections.

I hope that helps :)

Last edited:

Networksupport

May 6, 2017
To add, I then have a back up ADSL from another provider. If my main ISP goes down, then I'd like the work VPN and UK VPN to go through this connection. The ADSL router comes pre-configured from the 2nd ISP. This could be just swapping a cable from main ISP to backup ISP if can't be automated.