@home = free cable?

Zach

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Anyone heard of this? True? I heard that the cable modem uses a 'channel' or two in the upper-hundreds, forcing an expanded basic connection.
This would be in Oregon, with RCA modems..

This is because I'm moving, and can hardly afford the $90 rent jump.. let alone if my girlfriend finally dumps my sorry ass. :)

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
If you mean can you split the modem line so that it works on TVs, yes. Just don't tell @home. Don't ask me how I know this, and yes I am watching cable and surfing the internet at the same time. WHAT OF IT! :p

Zach

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
The modem line is the same line that runs the TV's, they have a splitter in my wall so that the TV and modem use the same line.. and @home installed it. :)

I mean, by paying for cable modem service do you automatically get cable TV service free of charge?

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
there is a device that blocks the cable television signal.

i remember slashdot having a post about a woman who was sued because her provider neglected to install that device. she was sued for "free" cable tv.

office boy

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

<< by paying for cable modem service do you automatically get cable TV service free of charge? >>

Lets make this simple...
YES

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
Wait, no. Unless you steal. Right? I never got that blocker, so i can get cable TV from my line.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Zach, follow the cable back to the side of your house, it might meet this interface box (white?) ...the one on my grandmother's house I couldn't even open.

Zach

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Apartment complex. huge splitter box with fat cables, never been able to see inside...

Guess I wont hook up cable TV until after the cable modem anyway, just in case.. :)

EverClear

Oct 12, 1999
My provoder makes me also subscribe to basic cable in addition to renting the cable modem and standard unlimited access.
Total cost for sucky cable service 55.00 per month. That doesnt include the second phone line because it is telephone return. When you add that in its 70.00a month for cable. So no I dont get free cable Tv with my cable modem setup

But than again I dont have @home ;)